My rescue mini

• Thread starter Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis

Here are pics of my rescue mini who came from a "rescue" .. and it sure wasnt Chance Mini Rescue.(who i know.. does all they can for each and every horse including vet and farrier work) this horse had been with this "rescue" for about 60 days and then to me. She is soo thin and soooo scared of people. Took me 20 min to catch her in a small pen and when i did she was shaking so bad. Her feet are awful although the "rescue" says her feet were done 60 days ago ????

I havent wormed her yet wanna give her a bit more time to adjust to feed regularly and will worm her in a week or so. I have to call animal control as well. Right now she is in the back of the property but next week once some horses leave she will go up front in a 16x16 box stall with attached 12x24ish pen so i can keep an eye on her and work with her a bit more but she will be up near the street so i want them to know about her before someone calls and tells them it is me who has her and they think i let her get that way. I will say though that there is another mare here from the same "rescue" and she is in good weight although her feet are just as bad. All in all i am very pleased with this mare. She will be hardshipped the end of this month and I am sure come spring time will be hard to ever remember her looking like this and having such intense fear of people. I think if we as breeders all took in at least one rescue a year.. it would certainly do alot for our ideas and thoughts on breeding and the choices and chances we take. It is hard to see how bad off she really is in these pics all i can tell you is remember she is in a pretty good coat now as well and in person she is well lets say i was shocked at the difference in the pics and hwo she looked in person the hauler actually called me along the way to let me know how worried they were about her strength and making it on the trip
ohmy.gif

dani-pasture.jpg

danifeet.jpg

DCP_0008.jpg

Last edited:
oh lisa im so happy you have her!!! hey was this part of that really big herd that had to be sold off?? pm me if it is. It wont be long and you will have her all turned around.

I really wish every breeder would take in a rescue. It does really make you think long and hard about every horse you breed. And Im just a big believer in giving back
smile.gif

Cant wait for updates on this girl!

Kay

Lisa - what an angel you are for taking her! She looks like a real sweetheart - what is her name?

Lisa,

It's great you took her in. You'll get her turned around in no time, between you and Raven.

Sure wish I could swing by on my way through and take that other mare off your hands. I wanted her before but Stephanie beat me to her.

Some "rescues" really shouldn't be rescues.

Oh Lisa, she's just lovely and how wonderful of you to take her in. I have a soft spot for the white ones.

[SIZE=14pt]Lisa,[/SIZE]

It's great of you to take her in and bring her back to health! I agree with you 100% that all of us responsiable breeders should make a real effort to rescue at least one horse a year! We have taken 3 so far this year! And when that little gal is able to travel, you need to send her to Deb's place!
yes.gif
She would fit right in with all her light colored horses!
thumbup.gif

Bill

Bill! You scoundrel! I don't think Lisa wants to part with that sweet thing....but.......if she does.....she would fit right in wouldn't she. Again Lisa, she is just going to be an amazing mare. Have you named her? Is she registered?

Not everybody is able to take in rescues.

Thanks guys.. i do think that doing something for rescues be it taking one in or going somehwere and working with them ect.. brings a whole new light on breeding/selling the market and all kinds of things as well as the quality of horses that are needing to be rescued. Believe me in all breeds there are some top quality animals with pedigrees and show records .

Anyway she will get her hardship paperwork done on Sunday although should be interesting catching her still isnt easy she has a flymask on all the time as it is safer then a halter and gives me something to grab onto. While she is still scared she now she will follow me around whenver i am outside always at about 5 ft distance but she is always there just watching so shouldnt be to long i am hoping.

her name is going to be Ruff N Tuffs Dancing Queen and we call her dani

awww she is a sweetheart and I love her barn name since that's my nickname
tongue.gif

Back