My puppy broke her leg

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHF Fancy

Reaction score
My poor baby got stepped on last night by my Great Pyrenees and broke her leg in 2 places. Luckily she didn't completely sever the bone so she should be up and about in 2 weeks. The vet kept her overnight for observation as we were worried she may have damaged some internal organs but thankfully she didn't. When I went to pick her up this morning I laughed so hard at her cast. The vet made the cute little flowers to match her collar. At least she's a fashionable pup.

Has anyone ever had a dog with a broken leg? How did they heal? Any advise is most welcome.

leg4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry your puppy got hurt!! I love the cast!! Hope she recovers soon..

So sorry for your puppies broken leg but love the cast.Hope your dog heals ok.

default_unsure.png
Oh poor baby. I feel so bad for her. Hope she heals fast.
default_wub.png

Poor baby girl...that must've hurt so bad to have had it broken. I hope she's up and about very soon without incident.

Our heart goes out to you and your puppy.Our daughters dog Sid broke his leg at 8 weeks, he had a blue cast.

We will keep your dog in our prayers.If it makes you feel better our dog sid is now 2 yrs old, he is doing great.

The main thing is the keep the dog very still no running and play to much. If you got outside with rain over it with a bag, so it will not get wet.Our dog had the cast for 4-6 weeks.He has recover very well.

sid today with ashley

100_5578.jpg

Awww, poor girl! At least she has got to be sporting the PRETTIEST cast I have ever seen! I had a 5 month old Chihuahuha pup break his leg once. He fell off the "ramp" that led to their doggy door. His healed, but he always seemed to keep that wierd gait, like he was still wearing the cast.

Poor baby, but I love the cast. What a great vet. Our dog Bentley came to us with a severely fractured hind leg. He had to have this thing called a "K-apparatus". It was kind of like those halo braces and it had 9 bolts (yes, real bolts) screwed into his leg--three on one side and six on the other. It was pretty major but it's been eight years, and he's probably about nine years old now and you couldn't even tell he injured that leg. He runs with the best of them and never took a bad step once it healed.

I'm sure your pup will heal well. She'll learn to get around with the cast just fine. I'll keep good thoughts for her.
default_smile.png

Our lab broke a back leg when she was 8 months old. She had to have a pin placed in it. Because of the break, she had to stay calm for six weeks. Not an easy task for an 8 month old. She is now 7 years old and has never slowed down. The only thing I ever notice is that when she squats to pee, she puts more weight on the leg that wasn't broken. Best of luck!

A friend's Yorkie pup jumped off her recliner and broke his leg. He healed up fine, but the last time I saw him - pretty shortly out of the cast - he still hiked the leg when he ran some of the time. He probably weighs all of 2-3 pounds, must have toothpick legs under the hair
default_smile.png

Jan

My husbands Cattledog broke is front leg on Superbowl Sunday Feb 3.

He got in the way of 2 horses doing horse-play , and got stepped on.

He broke 2 bones in his front leg, it was right in the middle of his leg, not near any joints.

He had surgery and they put a plate in his leg and 2 pins. The vets expects a full recovery.

He is a young dog, and they said that will also help his recovery.

We have to keep him quiet for 12 weeks this is week 8, so only 4 more to go.

We have started bringing him on short walks up and down the driveway and he has also attempted

the stairs, several times.

Hope your pup has a full recovery too! Good Luck,

004.jpg

Sorry to hear that!

Our puppy got stepped on and broke 3 toes so had a cast on up to his knee plus a boot wrap to keep it clean.

He is just fine now.

I will warn you tho, and your vet may as well (or should) that when the cast comes off the leg will not look good. It may very well look smaller than the other due to not using it. They have to regain muscle mass back but even tho it looks bad it will look good in no time!!
default_yes.gif

OH forgot to say too that it is not uncommon for them to limp for a bit after they get their cast off. My vet said that is very normal as they are still a bit cautious about it.

Thanks everyone. Rosie is doing much better today. She's eating and playing a bit and seems to be in good spirits. This new snow we just got is making it very hard to bring her outside as her cast can't get wet at all. I really want spring to get here.

Well Rosie got her cast off yesterday and the leg healed well. She still hikes the leg up and won't put any weight on it but I'm hoping she'll get over that pretty quickly. Thanks for all of your healing thoughts for my little puppy.

I'm happy she got her cast off, but it was a pretty one!!!! I bet once she's had time to be used to her now mended leg, she will put weight on it
default_wub.png

Oh poor little babies
default_sad.png
My dogs like to get in the way while we are walking and I have thought I broke their legs several times :DOH! Thankfully I didn't! Hopefully she will be back up and running in no time
default_yes.gif

I'm glad she got her cast off.
default_aktion033.gif
It will still take a while for her to fully regain use of the leg. She may favor it when in certain positions, but over time she'll be "good as new"!!

Latest posts

Back