My prego. mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue S

Reaction score
Hello, I have a preg. mare that should have her baby in the next week or two, The problem is she is not getting any bigger, she looked bigger a couple weeks ago and she is not bagging up much, the baby was very active but in the last few days it isn't moving, is this normal being she don't have that long to go or am I just a worried mom? I have a camera on her all the time when she is in her stall and I can watch her when she is out side.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could mean the baby is getting in position.

They will look slimmer and I did notice with my mare that the baby didn't move as much. And she stayed like that for weeks it seemed. But we now have a beautiful colt on the ground.

I am sure everything is fine with your mare.

Ditto to what Whimsical said......... When the foal goes into position, there isn't as much room to move around in, and the mare's shape changes too.

I agree. I bet that babe is just getting into position. I have that happen to me all the time here at home. In fact, I have one right now that isn't due for three weeks that just went profoundly skinny on me. She was fat as a tick yesterday, and now today doesn't even look bred! It was such a dramatic transformation that I actually walked around the corral and looked for an abort. Usually, if you look at them from the side you will notice that their belly is hanging much further down than it was previously. Sometimes it even gets pointy looking. This can happen a few weeks to a few hours before foaling. Keep an eye on her. Best wishes!

Latest posts

Back