my plan

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choklitbean

Reaction score
I had a plan. I hadn't expected to buy a horse but Chinook needed me and I wasn’t overly busy for the summer so the plan was to get him healthy, get him trained and sell him to someone who’d love him forever. It was so simple. Yah right!

Healing took a long time and with winter coming I knew I wouldn’t have near as much time to spend with him so I decided to buy him a buddy. I’d heard of a two year old unregistered gelding that needed a good home, owner had too many minis. The price was more than reasonable so I went to take a look. While I was there a pretty little 36†mare wandered over for a scratch. She was for sale too; in fact the woman said that I could have both of them for the price of the mare.

Now my head was reeling. You see the night before, I woke up out of a dead sleep and that was exactly what was in my head – her selling me the mare and giving me the gelding. At the time I chalked it up to being overtired and spending too much time thinking about horses. Stunned I asked her to tell me again. Yep, that’s what she said, if I would take the mare she would include the gelding for free. I didn’t know what to do. I only wanted a buddy for Chinook. That’s when I had an out of mind – er, I mean body experience and my brain screamed as it heard my mouth say “Okay, I’ll take them both.â€

I paid her the money and loaded them up. As we headed home a thought hit me, Chinook is still a stallion, I have ONE horse pen and now I have a gelding and a MARE!!! So at midnight we were out there building make shift walls and locating extra feeders and whatnot just to keep them comfortable and very much separate. It took a few days and the promise of free food to a friend, but I now have two horse pens looking onto each other where they can nuzzle and squeal to their hearts content.

The mare is so pretty, I could gaze at her for hours. What the gelding lacks in beauty he more than makes up for in sweetness and I’m afraid Chinook won my heart the first day I saw him.

And so what’s the plan now? My logical brain says “I’ll train them up and sell them to good homes where they will be loved forever.†My heart says “Yah, right!!â€

im with the "yah right"
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
Congrats. Good luck with your life long kids.
aktion033.gif

Thank you, thank you
smile.gif

I don't have very good photos right yet, but this is what I've got.

This is the gelding, Shadow, poor baby has a bad bite.

IMG_4587.jpg

I wish I had a better picture of her with her head up, it's beautiful. This is Mist.

IMG_4582.jpg

I know what you mean. It is easy to add them but hard to sell them on to better homes even when you know it may be the best for them.

I am in the middle of that part.

Congrats on your new babies..
biggrin.gif

That's how the mini world turns, will you be gelding your stallion now?

The jury is still out on that one. On the one hand I'd like to on the other he gets nicer and nicer and I'd really like to see how he's going to finally turn out before I make a final (and irreversable) decision.

But I'm in no panic to have babies either and as pretty as the mare is she isn't perfect. I'm going to give her some much needed exercise so I can really see her at her best but there are a few things that I'm feeling iffy about.

Sounds like they already have a home where they'll be loved forever
biggrin.gif
Congrats on your new ones.

Latest posts

Back