My own horse therapy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
As some of you know, I recently took an unplanned vacation at the "spa"...er...in the hospital with a bad infection (cellulitis). I returned home with an extremely sore leg and strict orders to keep my leg elevated (easy to obey, as it was excruciating to do otherwise).

Staying indoors was unthinkable, and while I spent many hours lounging on the patio swing (with my constant companion, Sophie the maltese cross, to hold me down), I wanted to be out with my horses, and as I always do, I found a way.

We had wanted to fence our lawn for grazing, and a sale on step-in posts at a local feed store gave us the impetus. We already had electrical tape and just needed to tie in to the hot wire on our existing corrals.

Within minutes (all the time I could be on my feet), I had the lawn fenced in, including our picnic table.

Mingus and Thelonius were the first ones to enjoy the mouth-watering green grass (after first determining the apple trees had many weeks to go before they would be interesting). A dry spring and early summer meant actually not-so-rich grass, and lots of hand-grazing meant they were ready for a fair amount of grazing time.

They hurried out onto the lawn, anxious that I might change my mind, then busied themselves presenting a pastoral scene worthy of an impressionist painting. I gathered my old couch cushions (being a packrat does pay off on occasion!), my coffee carafe and cup, my Heike Bean driving book and the phone and created a comfortable if not stylish bed upon the picnic table.

Since not even mom can compete with grass, I was actually able to read for just a bit before dozing off in the shade of the apple tree, but my nap was soon interrupted as I awakened to someone ruffling my hair. Keith was not due home from work for hours, so I was fairly certain it was one or two of my other favorite men. I opened my eyes to see a bright bay head directly over me. Mingus nuzzled me, whispered sweet nothings in my ear and sighed happily. (Don't let on that you know, but despite my many "naughty Mingus" stories, he's actually a big mama's boy!)

Not to be left out, an impish strawberry roan soon joined in. For those who have never met Thelonius, his constant expression is one of sweet orneriness...he's that little red-headed prankster from grade school. While Mingus was bent on showing his affection (or was he scratching his chin?), Thelonius was on a more important mission: knock my coffee off the table. If I tried to take a sip, he tried to help by bumping it. If I set my cup down, he reached for it immediately, ever hopeful of sending it flying.

Mingus soon sauntered off to court the other great love of his life -- food...he is, after all, a gelding. Thelonius on the other hand refused to give up. To catch me off guard, he took breaks from his antics to lick my arm, but quickly returned to that elusive goal: keeping the world safe from coffee cups!

Sadly for my "roanry" boy (if you've seen Team America, you know where that comes from...), I soon finished my coffee and had the presence of mind to move cup and carafe to the opposite bench. I almost took pity, he looked so disappointed, but then I saw his eyes light up. I heard first one thump, then another, as Thelonius spotted my shoes and swiftly knocked them to the ground...

Later that evening, when I had returned two very contented horses to the dry lot/corral, I decided to take two lawn chairs (one for me, one for my leg) in to sit with them. All spring and early summer, Mingus and I had spent hours ground driving and lunging, and he had basked in the constant attention and exercise (this is a horse who finds it easier to trot than to stand still). He so obviously missed being the center of attention, and as soon as I sat down he began trotting around me in ever-widening circles, lacking only the lungeline.

After several circuits, he turned from the far corner and ran straight for me. I had no worries of being knocked over -- just a fear of falling off of my chair laughing. For a gorgeous horse, Mingus can look like a complete goober. He ran to me with his head down low, ears askew, and a look of unmistakable rapture. I swear I heard him call to Thelonius, "MOM'S HOME!!!" He then mugged me with horse hugs, nuzzled my hair, and then stood with his head pressed between my back and the chair.

Meanwhile, Thelonius licked my knees contentedly.

While in hospital, I constantly told my doctors and nurses that I would heal much more quickly if I were home with my horses, dogs and cats; as I prattled on I saw their eyes glaze over, but I spoke the truth. There is truly no medicine as powerful as the love of one's animals (well, except perhaps that of Keith!)

default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: there is no love like the love of a horse (or horses)

There is nothing like the love of your horses to make you feel better. I lost my mum to cancer in february, it was so devestating. :no: I was away from the horses for a few days with everything that was happening, mums funeral and all. And when I returned it was so wonderful just to walk out into the paddock and have them all come racing over, but I tell you they were different than their usual burly selves, they usually push and shove to try and get in first for all the cuddles and see if I've got any treats. But when they got to me, they went all very quiet and gentle just standing around me putting their muzzles on me and blowing softly, its amazing how they could immediatly sense my grief. And they just stood like that for ages with me and I could just close my eyes and sit on the grass and cry surrounded by all my babies. It just touched my heart so much. When ever I need a good cry I know I can go out to the paddock and have all those little shoulders to cry on. Oh dear now I need some tissues!

:aktion033: Oh Suzanne....I am so happy the "boys" were there to cheer you up....they really are great therapy and thank you for the delightful story, it was wonderful!

aaawww happy tears! aren't we lucky
default_wub.png
: it's hard for me to understand how there are so many people in the world that don't have a horse - or donkey - or dog - or cat - or some kind of critter! they are the BEST therapy!!! wonderful story, very descriptive, i can see Mingus running circles and Thelonius after your cup and shoes... thanks for sharing!

I love your stories.
default_wub.png
: You have two lucky men there to be loved on and be loved to. [Well probably three if you count the two legged one] I sure understand your pleasure of being around thes little horses for they sure do make my day. Mary

Bless you Susanne for the love you give your 'children' and that

that they are returning to you many times over.

Continue your healing ways.....

Thinking of you!

That was a lovely story, for certain! I could actually visualize you there on your picnic table, the vision of contentment!

People who don't own horses, dogs, cats, etc., really have no concept of the spiritual peace these animals can bring us.

Along with my miniatures, I kept riding horses until this past June. I always had around four or five of them until I got my miniatures and then sold off all but two; my two wonderful Standardbreds, both of whom I adored to no end. Unfortunately, my big 17.2 hand boy got a very bad case of colic the night before Christmas eve and had to be euthanized. It was never the same for me afterwards.

He was an incredibly tall horse, but never got fat and bulky. He always stayed so trim and good looking. And even though his nickname, because of his size, was "The Dinosaur," his actual name was Gabe, named after the archangel Gabriel, because he was indeed an angel. I could bring him into his stall and get out the clippers and never have to halter him. Since he was so tall, I could sit right under his belly to clip his fetlocks, and never worried he'd hurt me. He'd lower his head on command so I could clip his ears and bridle path. Whenever people came to visit their kids always got a ride on Gabe, the Gentle Giant.

When I was sad and lonely, I could go to the pasture and Gabe would come walking up to me and allow me to bury my face in his neck and take in his comfort. I used to amuse people by walking back and forth underneath his belly, or sitting down on his front feet. I had such a connection to Gabe that when he died something inside me died as well. When my other Standardbred bucked me off in May and I broke a few ribs, I lent him to a friend of mine who needed a companion horse, and just concentrated on the minis.

And in a way, since I no longer have the big horses, I've had so much more time for the minis that I've developed that closeness with several of them. Oh, there are one or two mares who will never be best buddies with me, but my two geldings, one of the stallions, and one of the mares in particular seem to provide all the balm my sometimes weary soul needs.

Awww, this is so wonderful!

Thanks for sharing, susanne. I sure hope you're feeling great and even if you won't show at ORSF, come on down for a visit?

I sent in my entries the other day. I can hardly believe show season is at least half over!

Continued best wishes to all of you!

Liz M.

Susanne, that is just so wonderful!

And if that doesn't explain to people why our minis make such great therapy visitors for seniors and children's hospitals....I don't know what does!

Sometimes I feel very selfish when too much time has past when our little ones haven't lightened someone else's heart, other than our own.........

MA

susanne said:
Not to be left out, an impish strawberry roan soon joined in. For those who have never met Thelonius, his constant expression is one of sweet orneriness...he's that little red-headed prankster from grade school. While Mingus was bent on showing his affection (or was he scratching his chin?), Thelonius was on a more important mission: knock my coffee off the table. If I tried to take a sip, he tried to help by bumping it. If I set my cup down, he reached for it immediately, ever hopeful of sending it flying.
Mingus soon sauntered off to court the other great love of his life -- food...he is, after all, a gelding. Thelonius on the other hand refused to give up. To catch me off guard, he took breaks from his antics to lick my arm, but quickly returned to that elusive goal: keeping the world safe from coffee cups!

Sadly for my "roanry" boy (if you've seen Team America, you know where that comes from...), I soon finished my coffee and had the presence of mind to move cup and carafe to the opposite bench. I almost took pity, he looked so disappointed, but then I saw his eyes light up. I heard first one thump, then another, as Thelonius spotted my shoes and swiftly knocked them to the ground...
Boy, does THAT sound familiar!! I've got one of those little red-heads too.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

We've missed you nearly as much as your horses have, Susanne. Please continue to post your wonderful essays as we thoroughly enjoy and relate to them. You have a gift.

Leia

[SIZE=24pt]:aktion033: Beautifully told, Susanne! :aktion033: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]And yet, another answer for people who ask "What are they good for?"......why, they are good for our very SOULS!
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:
[/SIZE]

Susanne, you tell a wonderful story and with men like that you'll be feeling great in no time!

That is just wonderful Susanne!! Yes.. being home among your animals is much better for healing than those yucky old Hospitals.

Am very glad you are able to enjoy being out with them...even when they are being silly.

But have to admit..if my mini's were let around the yard again..they would be doing the same thing. :bgrin

Susanne, I can totally understand your pain, I too am recovering from (compared to you) a mild case of cellulitis and a total knee replacement. I haven't been able to get down our hill to our horses so I am jealous of you big time! I did get a wonderful folding chair that just arrived yesterday, called the super maxx barstool, so it is extra tall and I can get in and out of it without fear of getting stuck while home alone. It has a great footrest and padded headrest and is just awesome. I am hoping to maybe get down there in a few days, just to touch and smell my kids, and if I take my chair, I can stay out there for a good while.

You take good care of your leg! What a miserable disease!!!! :no: :no:

Lucky you to have such loving horses. Mine would probably kick me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery with the help of your little friends! They truly are the best medicine for people like us, whether it is our hearts, heads, or health that needs healing.

I too love your essays; I really think you should be writing a book!

That was a wonderful story and I truely enjoyed reading it! Your boys sound so wonderful and loving. I had to be gone for a week earlier this summer, I'm a home body and not often gone, and my horses missed me too. Not all of them, but my special 4 did! My Dane wouldn't finish his grain while I was gone! Mom said she tried, but he just wouldn't eat it all. The day I got home I went around and hugged everyone and he pushed his head on me, closed his eyes and sighed, then walked into his little tent and finished every drop of grain that was in his bucket and on the ground
default_wub.png
: Funny huh!? My Chamomile knocked me over neck hugging me and snuffling in my hair and of course miss Whiskey was all over me and chasing everyone else away, she needed mommy time! And my baby Rose was climbing into my lap and so happy to share some grooming time. I do love these little horses. They are so special!!

I hope your leg gets better soon so you and Mingus can go back to your driving training. It sounds like he enjoys it!!

Thank you so much for your responses -- I was pretty certain you could all relate!

I'm happy to report that Mingus, Thelonius, Flash and Scarlet (along with the dogs and cats) are doing a great job in speeding up my recovery -- my leg is finally starting to feel good and I'm getting around quite well.

Anna, I'm so sorry about your mother. I'm glad you had your horses to comfort you.

Sandy...now you have me crying over Gabe. As much as we love them all, there are those individuals with whom we form such an intense bond it is unreal.

I love so much reading about how your horses have helped you all. Mindy, Dane sounds a LOT like Mingus!

Jody, I hope you're able to get done to spend some quality time with your little ones, and I hope both your hip and your cellulitis heal quickly.

Liz, I'm still hoping to show at least one horse, but hopefully two, at OSF. I can't bear the thought of going an entire summer without showing Mingus, and only showing Scarlet at a schooling show.

Again, thanks to all of you!

Latest posts

Back