My next adventure -- eye surgery

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
While I've never had great eyesight, recently things have taken a drastic downturn. One eye has required laser treatment and will need more, and the other eye has a partial retinal detachment. I also have the pleasure of cataracts in both eyes...

Anyway, I'll be having two surgeries: first, removal of the cataract in my left eye this coming Tuesday, then a vitrectomy to (hopefully) lessen the retinal detachment sometime before Christmas.

Needless to say, this makes graphic design work a bit of a challenge, but so far I'm getting by.

I asked my surgeon if being around my horses after surgery would present a problem, and he said "Just don't ride them for awhile." HAHA!! I didn't tell him why that wouldn't be a problem.

I'm in good hands, and have the support of my seeing eye husband, and excellent pet therapy from everyone here at Woodwinds!

Been there and done that in both eyes. It's not so bad to have done. I think the worst for me was that the lasor surgery wasn't supposed to hurt, but for me it was very painful. She ended up injecting pain killer directly under my eyeball. UGGGH! That was not a pleasant experience! After my retina surgery they had to place a bubble in my eye to hold the retina in place until it healed. I had to stay face down for 6 weeks. I still got cataracts from the bubble so had that surgery as well. Hopefully yours isn't as severe and it'll go easier for you.

Best of luck for a sucessful surgery and a speedy recovery!
default_yes.gif

Oh man Susanne,,,,

You have to have great eyesite to read the polls for the upcoming presidential election!!!! C'Mon now! Hope it all goes wonderfully and you have a short recovery time.

Uggh sounds like the word, Lisa! Even though I have an extremely high pain threshold, the laser surgery did hurt! Your experience with the post-operative cataract is why they are doing that first -- they were sure the vitrectomy would create one, ao they opted to do it up front.

They're planning on injecting gas or gel...I asked if my eye has gas, does that mean my eyes willl fart when I blink?...

Did the surgery achieve what you and your doctors hoped?

Kim, I have Keith on notice to read every op-ed column, so I can be as opinionated as always!

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhh susanne....

I asked if my eye has gas, does that mean I'll fart when I boink?...
????

Sorry, I couldn't resist a little giggle (ok a belly laugh) at your expense.

Still, my friend, I will be thinking of you and hoping for the very best!!! If you can talk on the phone, we should to pass the time while you're recuperating.

If there's anything I can do, let me know...ok?

Liz

That's okay, Liz...I'm always my own favorite target for making fun...years ago when I was rushed to the ER when I was first diagnosed with diabetes, they took me on a stretcher to Intensive Car, right past the waiting room, so I did my best Rose Festival princess wave...elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist...

That would be wonderful to talk while I'm recovering! We're due a chat anyway...it's been too long.

Awwww Susanne, I'm sad to hear you are having such troubles. You are one of the most tough and resiliant people I know and you will come out of this in your usual great form. I've sure missed your posts and great sense of humor around here lately and hope it all is a total success. I'm sure Mingus and the gang will take great care of you while you recover.

You know we've still got to get our prom dresses ready for next beach drive
default_wink.png
Mingus and Blue are going to be the oldest living minis not yet driven on the beach if we're not careful.

Best wishes that everything will work out well for you!
default_yes.gif
Lee has cataract surgery next week as he is legally blind in his left eye now. He hit his head really hard in June helping someone load a horse in a short trailer. His retina detached & he had a 3 hour surgery to repair it. He also had to have 5 lazer procedures. The surgeon said his was the dreaded exception & not the norm for detached retina repair.. Lee has had the gel & the gas both in his eye.......... The doctor must have put in cataract fertilizer also as they grew really fast since his last appointment.

Susanne, I do have some pheriferal vision loss, but yes the results were good. The night before the surgery i was so upset I vomited severely and tore the retina almost the whole way off. I had no vision in that eye. that was the eye they did first and he was able to repair it nicely. He was shocked though when he saw how bad it was! You'll be fine, you're strong and determined and that's the attitude we need! If I can answer any specific questions for you please feel free to pm me. I've had diabetes for 40 years and I've just about been there and done it all.

Best of luck with your surgery!! Of course we will all be here waiting for updates on your recovery. Take Care!!

Wishing you a lot of luck and ease with the surgery and will be keeping you in my thoughts!

<hugs> Susanne and if you need anyone to talk to...or someone to come over and bother... a...visit you.. let me know!

I will be thinking of you and wishing you the best luck......I am sure you will do just great and I know your horsies are great therapy for you.

Hugs to you, take care and remember do what they tell you to do, ok?

Good luck with the surgeries!! I hope they turn out well and you'll let us know.

I've been debating about whether to have surgery or not, but eye surgery is just so iffy as to if its going to work. I go back to the doctor at the end of Dec. to see how immenate it is if I should have the stem cell transplants and a cornea transplant.

Nothing like ruining my own punchline! I didn't even catch it when Liz commented...I'm such a dork!

ROFLMAO -- the more I think about that one, the harder I laugh! Am I slow on the uptake, or what???!!!

Thanks EVERYONE for your good wishes!

Back