My New Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Arab was a bay like this - his lower legs would only be all black in summer, in winter they were kind of golden except for a black ring right around the coronets. He had a sort of pseudo dorsal stripe, just a slightly darker color red, was a fairly light even red all over, and lighter on the muzzle and belly especially in winter. His mane would bleach out easily like that in the sun (tail did not), but only did it when he was deficient in copper and zinc. He also had some white ticking at the head of his tail and quite a number of white hairs in his coat, but not nearly enough to be considered a roan. Definitely a bay - he was a registered Polish Arabian and as far as I know they don't come in any colors except standard bay, black, chestnut, and grey.

Never heard of pangare before now but that is probably what he was - definitely very light on the belly especially in winter coat, but not anything like the contrast you'd see on a mule or donkey. Learn something new every day, thanks Chandab! :)

My Arab was a bay like this - his lower legs would only be all black in summer, in winter they were kind of golden except for a black ring right around the coronets. He had a sort of pseudo dorsal stripe, just a slightly darker color red, was a fairly light even red all over, and lighter on the muzzle and belly especially in winter. His mane would bleach out easily like that in the sun (tail did not), but only did it when he was deficient in copper and zinc. He also had some white ticking at the head of his tail and quite a number of white hairs in his coat, but not nearly enough to be considered a roan. Definitely a bay - he was a registered Polish Arabian and as far as I know they don't come in any colors except standard bay, black, chestnut, and grey.

Never heard of pangare before now but that is probably what he was - definitely very light on the belly especially in winter coat, but not anything like the contrast you'd see on a mule or donkey. Learn something new every day, thanks Chandab! :)
Interesting! My previous Welsh/Arab mare had the white ticking too, Spirit doesn’t seem to have any though

Interesting! I’m really new to colors myself so I’m not sure if I can help, he looks like a flaxen liver chestnut to me but I’m not sure about the stripe. There are lots of experienced people here so I’m sure someone could help you out!
Interesting! I’m really new to colors myself so I’m not sure if I can help, he looks like a flaxen liver chestnut to me but I’m not sure about the stripe. There are lots of experienced people here so I’m sure someone could help you out!
Thanks, I have a lot to learn :) I'm not sure about his color

At first glance Hershey looks like he could be silver bay in that picture.....I can't see his stripe very well, but if it is an actual stripe, rather than countershading, that would indicate dun....

Wild bay for Spirit? (She looks like a Quarter Horse I once had...he was wild bay)

So many cute, little horses!!

I don't drink either....but, I still like Whiskey and Brandy....for names 😆
I don't know about colors, obviously🤣 any help is welcome. Hershey defiantly has a darker stripe.
His fetlocks are about the same color as his mane and tail. I will see if I can get a better picture of his stripe and see what you think.

Here are other pictures of Hershey. I feel so lost on this. I have not heard of a silver bay either. :oops: I hope this pics are more clear about his color and his stripe. What color do you think?:)

Attachments

• image1.pngwindy day.png
    image1.pngwindy day.png
    762.3 KB · Views: 5
  • image0.jpeg hershey stripe.jpeg
    image0.jpeg hershey stripe.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 5
Here are other pictures of Hershey. I feel so lost on this. I have not heard of a silver bay either. :oops: I hope this pics are more clear about his color and his stripe. What color do you think?:)
He’s gorgeous!! I’m starting to think maybe a silver bay as well. Someone told me about a place where you can send some mane or tail hairs that you pull (make sure to have the root for the DNA) and send it in and they’ll give you the color. I’m going to do it with Arrow. UC Davis and Animal Genetics are the most reliable I’ve heard. If you do it, I’d be interested to hear the results!!

To me that doesn't look like a true dorsal stripe - more like the sort of contrast that a lot of bays have along the spine. But someone else with more knowledge might chime in too.

If you just search for "dorsal stripe horse" you'll get some pics of really pronounced stripes, they're usually on duns and more "primitive" colors. To me it seems like a true dorsal stripe looks painted on - whereas this kind of contrast sort of looks like a crease along the spine, if that makes any sense.

Silver bay is the silver gene on a bay base coat. Silver dapple is silver on a black base. The silver dilution gene only acts on black hairs. So it takes a bay and lightens any of the black hairs, the degree varies. The brown parts of the bay stay the same. I think it can turn the black anywhere from just lighter brownish all the way to extreme flaxen/white like Hershey has.

Rowan's mane and tail, you can see it a bit in my profile pic, are a mixture of flaxen, light brown, and silver hairs. His legs where there would have been black stockings are a chocolate color, just slightly darker than his body color. He's also a pinto though and so he has high whites on 3 legs, so basically he has one visible chocolate knee. :)

To me that doesn't look like a true dorsal stripe - more like the sort of contrast that a lot of bays have along the spine. But someone else with more knowledge might chime in too.

If you just search for "dorsal stripe horse" you'll get some pics of really pronounced stripes, they're usually on duns and more "primitive" colors. To me it seems like a true dorsal stripe looks painted on - whereas this kind of contrast sort of looks like a crease along the spine, if that makes any sense.

Silver bay is the silver gene on a bay base coat. Silver dapple is silver on a black base. The silver dilution gene only acts on black hairs. So it takes a bay and lightens any of the black hairs, the degree varies. The brown parts of the bay stay the same. I think it can turn the black anywhere from just lighter brownish all the way to extreme flaxen/white like Hershey has.

Rowan's mane and tail, you can see it a bit in my profile pic, are a mixture of flaxen, light brown, and silver hairs. His legs where there would have been black stockings are a chocolate color, just slightly darker than his body color. He's also a pinto though and so he has high whites on 3 legs, so basically he has one visible chocolate knee. :)
Cool! What do you think of my mare Spirit’s stripe? Would you say it’s contrast that bays have or a true dorsal stripe?

To me that looks like contrast too, I don't see anything to make me think she's not a bay.
Hmmm interesting, after you said about the contrast I figured that’s what she might be. And then after hearing Capriole say about the wild bay…I looked it up and it definitely looks like her! I think probably next year I will do the genetic test on her and see what it says!

The first time I heard of a dorsal stripe was from this site. I'm curious, Hershey has a stripe. Is there a history, meaning or sufficient of the stripe? I do not known about his history. I've had him for 2 yrs. and he is about 16 yrs. old. Here is a picture. Thanks
Your horse looks silver bay likely with nd1 (non-dun 1, it's on the dun loci, but it is not dun, causes some primitives but little to no dilution).

Last edited:
Your horse looks silver bay likely with nd1 (non-dun 1, it's on the dun loci, but it is not dun, causes some primitives but little to know dilution).
Interesting! Lol I say that for everything but I’m getting a lot of info about color here, and loving every second of it!! If anyone else has a horse they’re not sure what color it is, go ahead and post it on this thread if you’d like!! I love learning about color in horses!

HerseyMint your horse is BEAUTIFUL!! My vote would be silver bay. 🥰
I would LOVE a horse that color, especially if it was a pinto! Pintos are my favorite haha, I love buckskin pintos, palomino pintos and also grulla pintos. I love all pintos but I think those three are my favourite. I find it so cool that we see silver in minis more than big horses, gives me some hope to maybe get one one day!

Hey Laura, Welcome. I see you're in Alberta! If you ever want to come visit me and see our gang here, you are welcome. Just email!

Hey Laura, Welcome. I see you're in Alberta! If you ever want to come visit me and see our gang here, you are welcome. Just email!
Thank you! You’re in Alberta too? I would love to take you up on that invitation sometime!! I love meeting fellow small equine lovers, haha!

I just love all the info from here Thank you all. Silver bay sounds so much better than just bay, 😀I will definitely read up on silver bays. Thank you
Haha it sounds super rare doesn’t it? I’ll say it again, Hershey is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

Latest posts

Back