My New Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes exactly! UC Davis and Animal Genetics are the two reliable labs. It’s very easy. You pull 15-20 hairs that still have the roots on them and Mail them with the form.
How much does that cost? I’m really interested now lol! It can be mane or tail hairs?

I wonder though if some of those examples also had "sooty" coloration, in addition to the palomino and grey? Or some other factor? In my experience with "traditional" greys in breeds without dilution genes other than chestnut in the general population (TBs, Arabians), they are born looking their base color - so bay, black, or chestnut - and then white hairs just start arriving, more each year. They never look darker than after they shed their first foal coat. A black-based grey will look almost black as a foal, then progress through charcoal grey, dapple grey, flea-bitten grey, eventually to white - with varying speed depending on the individual but never going darker than they began.

But it's possible that having certain dilutions makes it go all wonky? I find it all really interesting.
Yeah it looks like possibly sooty in some of those examples. It is super interesting! It blows my mind but I want to learn all I can!!

Yes exactly! UC Davis and Animal Genetics are the two reliable labs. It’s very easy. You pull 15-20 hairs that still have the roots on them and Mail them with the form.
Also I’m in Canada so I’m wondering if there is anywhere in Canada that is reliable for genetic color testing?

I guess that's sort of what I'm saying though as an explanation for why a palomino that is greying might darken before getting lighter - if sooty is at play, then the darkening that happens with the sooty might get ahead of the greying at first, and so you end up with a horse that gets darker before he gets lighter? Or is maybe darker in one season's coat and lighter in the other?

I'm not on Facebook and the color genetics group is private so unfortunately I can't see it!

Gotcha! Well the way they explain it is that the pigment almost clusters together before going grey. This is hyperpigmentation. Which is how you often tell if a foal is going to go grey. They lack foal camo and express as an adult. Often with hyperpigmentation that you can actually see on those palomino foals

Gotcha! Well the way they explain it is that the pigment almost clusters together before going grey. This is hyperpigmentation. Which is how you often tell if a foal is going to go grey. They lack foal camo and express as an adult. Often with hyperpigmentation that you can actually see on those palomino foals
Interesting! I’ve never heard of that. The minis are coming next week so I’m going to get some hairs and send them in for a test! I’m hoping to do my current mare as well too because on her papers it says she’s bay, but she looks more buckskin as she doesn’t have a black muzzle and has a lot of white on her where a bay would have black. Also has a dorsal stripe, so I’m curious to see what she would test as!

Last edited:
Share a picture of your "bay" mare please. we might be able to help you, even with her white markings.
Sure, let me find one. She doesn’t have any “chrome” to speak of but she has white/light points as opposed to a bay’s black points

Here are some photos of my “bay mare” Spirit lol. 8D293D82-8A83-4C2B-8D31-E3405600EF7B.jpegIn the first one she’s looking up. Also in this first one if you zoom in you can see her dorsal stripe.
7CF44C2F-9DD9-4B0E-9AB4-061183729186.jpegC4260F8F-CDF8-413F-B73B-2C3BB45F3705.jpeg7AC0062B-25FA-4523-B6C0-B5D673CC600A.jpegFA4DFDDE-F9EE-49EA-B3A1-BB0775FE2753.jpeg
the other horse is my gelding, Baccardi. He is a natural jumper and can jump higher than my previous big horse!175D1E27-D5DC-4154-8DA7-E115D41693CE.jpeg
This is her dorsal stripe. It’s harder to see in the winter but I can get one in the spring too cause she definitely has one when she’s not fluffy haha.

The first time I heard of a dorsal stripe was from this site. I'm curious, Hershey has a stripe. Is there a history, meaning or sufficient of the stripe? I do not known about his history. I've had him for 2 yrs. and he is about 16 yrs. old. Here is a picture. Thanks

Attachments

• image0.jpegHershey.jpeg
    image0.jpegHershey.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 6
  • image1.pngHershey stripe.png
    image1.pngHershey stripe.png
    589.7 KB · Views: 6
The bay is likely bay with pangare, pangare causes the light muzzle and belly. Just another shade of bay.
I have a gelding similar in color, and he is just bay. He's even lighter in winter, and the black on his legs only show around his fetlocks

Attachments

• Dakota - June 5, 2007 - pretty boy - webpic.jpg
    Dakota - June 5, 2007 - pretty boy - webpic.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 4
The first time I heard of a dorsal stripe was from this site. I'm curious, Hershey has a stripe. Is there a history, meaning or sufficient of the stripe? I do not known about his history. I've had him for 2 yrs. and he is about 16 yrs. old. Here is a picture. Thanks
Interesting! I’m really new to colors myself so I’m not sure if I can help, he looks like a flaxen liver chestnut to me but I’m not sure about the stripe. There are lots of experienced people here so I’m sure someone could help you out!

The bay is likely bay with pangare, pangare causes the light muzzle and belly. Just another shade of bay.
I have a gelding similar in color, and he is just bay. He's even lighter in winter, and the black on his legs only show around his fetlocks
Interesting! Yes actually my mare only shows the black around her fetlocks in winter

At first glance Hershey looks like he could be silver bay in that picture.....I can't see his stripe very well, but if it is an actual stripe, rather than countershading, that would indicate dun....

Wild bay for Spirit? (She looks like a Quarter Horse I once had...he was wild bay)

So many cute, little horses!!

I don't drink either....but, I still like Whiskey and Brandy....for names 😆

At first glance Hershey looks like he could be silver bay in that picture.....I can't see his stripe very well, but if it is an actual stripe, rather than countershading, that would indicate dun....

Wild bay for Spirit? (She looks like a Quarter Horse I once had...he was wild bay)

So many cute, little horses!!

I don't drink either....but, I still like Whiskey and Brandy....for names 😆
I’ll have to look up wild bay! Haha I really like Brandy but not sure if it would fit the mare as I’m 99% sure I’m going to stick with Arrow for the gelding. I have been thinking about Azura for her though, because of her blue eye!

Latest posts

Back