My New Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura&HerMinis

Reaction score
I’ve made a few different threads regarding my new minis, but I thought I’d combine them all into one thread so we don’t have to jump all around to the different threads lol. Also, they haven’t arrived yet and I’m getting way too excited and need somewhere to rant haha. So the original questions were: what color is the gelding?FADD1677-A2E2-493F-A38F-B42376FE094C.jpegC1DE23AD-C044-4340-A1DC-93E7FEBE590E.jpegC6D94892-0A36-4381-ABC9-EE38BF9667FB.jpeg65655C97-7CF6-44CE-AF2B-A56DAC8857C7.jpeg6B750BC4-9683-4C07-B508-C7FEFEBBDCDA.jpeg
And names for the mare? 47CE903F-2694-47FC-9D62-67F8B2328AD8.jpeg347B78D7-A661-48B9-BFE9-8D55FC24EEDA.jpeg50B228C8-D382-4145-9631-C94DEE65D469.jpeg5A585D7A-0281-4B9F-BFB6-F130F7F9D031.jpeg9685D703-4CB3-4C89-B176-1BDC53DD95C5.jpeg
I have been liking Bella, Dazzle, send Jasmine for the mare, but not sure if they really fit her so any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated! I would also love some show name ideas for both of them! I will also be announcing their arrival on this thread when the time comes, and what kinds of things I’m doing with them. I’ll probably be asking a lot of questions as well lol, they’re my first rescues and also the youngest minis I’ve ever gotten (gelding is 2 and mare is 5)! Any advice you have would be very helpful as well! I love this forum, full of passionate miniature horse lovers like me!

It is hard to wait isn’t it? 🤣 You will never have a dull day with these little guys!
Your future pals are really darling. I’d say your two year old is a cremello, but color can be complicated. There are members who have really studied the science of color and hopefully will add their more knowledgeable input!

I like all three of the names you are considering. Once she is in your barn and you spend time with her, you will probably find your answer! They would all be easy to “fancy” up for show names too, Darling Dazzle, Bella’s Future, Jasmine’s Bouquet.

She has a bit of a far away look in her eye to me. Since they are rescues they may have less confidence than they’re peers. Good for you giving them a chance and a home!

Cremellos (all double creams) have blue eyes and diluted skin, so the gelding can not be a cremello, as he has dark skin and dark eyes. The two year old looks like silver buckskin might be a possibility.

It is hard to wait isn’t it? 🤣 You will never have a dull day with these little guys!
Your future pals are really darling. I’d say your two year old is a cremello, but color can be complicated. There are members who have really studied the science of color and hopefully will add their more knowledgeable input!

I like all three of the names you are considering. Once she is in your barn and you spend time with her, you will probably find your answer! They would all be easy to “fancy” up for show names too, Darling Dazzle, Bella’s Future, Jasmine’s Bouquet.

She has a bit of a far away look in her eye to me. Since they are rescues they may have less confidence than they’re peers. Good for you giving them a chance and a home!
It’s so hard to wait!! I thought maybe cremello too but he doesn’t have blue eyes, that’s the only thing that really turned me off of that possibility. Haha I like your show names!! Yeah I agree with the far away look, I’ve been trying to place that. She is more shy, but the gelding is the friendliest rescue I’ve ever seen! He was following me around the pen lol!

Cremellos (all double creams) have blue eyes and diluted skin, so the gelding can not be a cremello, as he has dark skin and dark eyes. The two year old looks like silver buckskin might be a possibility.
Yeah that’s what I thought too! I’ve been learning about colour and I’m pretty sure that since he’s so light, he has at least one dilute gene but not two. Because a buckskin is a dilute of bay right? And a palomino has a dilute gene too, and that’s what the rescue people were saying he is 🤷🏻‍♀️

Silver is pretty common in small equines. Silver dilutes black pigment. Silver and cream interact oddly together, and you end up with a bit of wet paper bag color of various shades.
This is my crabby silver buckskin filly, she's darkened a little with age. She looked a little palomino as a baby.

Attachments

• Bliss - Oct 12, 2017 - looking at Sophia.jpg
    Bliss - Oct 12, 2017 - looking at Sophia.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Bliss - June 1, 2016 - walking.jpg
    Bliss - June 1, 2016 - walking.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 7
Silver is pretty common in small equines. Silver dilutes black pigment. Silver and cream interact oddly together, and you end up with a bit of wet paper bag color of various shades.
This is my crabby silver buckskin filly, she's darkened a little with age. She looked a little palomino as a baby.
Interesting! She’s so cute, looks very similar to my guy!

What does Bliss look like now?

What does Bliss look like now?
I'd have to get a new picture, as I've been lousy about taking pics, but let me see if I have anything newer on the computer than 4 years old.
Found one from last fall, when I got her a new halter, so she's already sporting her winter woolies.

Attachments

• Bliss - Sept 19, 2020 - Valhoma halter.jpg
    Bliss - Sept 19, 2020 - Valhoma halter.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 9
I'd have to get a new picture, as I've been lousy about taking pics, but let me see if I have anything newer on the computer than 4 years old.
Found one from last fall, when I got her a new halter, so she's already sporting her winter woolies.
Awww she is so gorgeous! Maybe Arrow will turn out like that! Is there any other color he reminds you of besides silver buckskin or is that all that came to mind?

Awww she is so gorgeous! Maybe Arrow will turn out like that! Is there any other color he reminds you of besides silver buckskin or is that all that came to mind?
He also looks like he could be going grey, and once they start going grey, it's very hard to tell what their color was before the greying process started. Mostly seeing it in his face, as his face seems so washed out in color; but they are also gaining winter hair now and that can affect their color, so perhaps we'll revisit this again in the spring, when they start shedding.

He also looks like he could be going grey, and once they start going grey, it's very hard to tell what their color was before the greying process started. Mostly seeing it in his face, as his face seems so washed out in color; but they are also gaining winter hair now and that can affect their color, so perhaps we'll revisit this again in the spring, when they start shedding.
Oh, interesting! Do most go to a “white” grey or a darker grey? I noticed that with his face too, but in the photos I took a few weeks ago, his face looks almost roan with yellow and white hairs interspersed on his face mostly. 9C5E9465-219A-4742-AD94-6E4C12AFE2EF.jpeg

They are both so cute 💕💕 I just love your mare’s eyes, beautiful, but I’m a sucker for blue eyes! When are you going to be able to bring them home?? Waiting is the hardest part 😝
They sure are! I do too, I love that she has one blue and one brown! They’re coming next week, not disclosing the date yet as I want to surprise you folks somewhat haha! Did you have any more name suggestions for either of them? Like barn or show? I loved your names on the other thread 😊😊

Eventually, all greys go white. Grey is a pigment disease, the melanocytes overproduce and the eventually get burnt out.

Next week?! Oh, can’t wait can’t wait!! How exciting!

Dazzling Blue Diamond (for her 1 blue eye)
Jasmine’s Sweet Sugar Pie
Godiva Bella Cupcake
Creme De Cacao
…. I think I need a piece of chocolate…or a drink … LOL LOL 🤣🤣
Lol I love those!! Haha I need something sweet too haha

Eventually, all greys go white. Grey is a pigment disease, the melanocytes overproduce and the eventually get burnt out.
Yeah but I meant like if a palomino goes grey, is it on average a white grey or darker than that?

Normally what I've seen when they go grey it's white hairs mixing in with their regular coat until they take over and they are all white. Some take years, some start as yearlings. I think you're going to have to wait and see how he sheds out in the spring.

Last edited:
Yeah but I meant like if a palomino goes grey, is it on average a white grey or darker than that?
Doesn't matter what color they start out, eventually they all go white. During the greying process, there may be a shade difference between one that starts black and one that starts palomino; but in the long run both will be just white.

Latest posts

Back