My new mini!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtominis

Reaction score
My new mini Teddy Bear. I got him two weeks ago from today. He's a 16 month old gelding. He hasn't ever had his teeth done, and he was wormed a month ago with IvermecGold. What other wormers are safe to use because I've been told they need to be switched on and off. (this is my first time uploading a picture so I guess we'll see if it works:) And yes, he is chubby in these pictures but is losing weight slowly.

Weds October 10th- Teddy- No crutches 020.JPGWeds October 10th- Teddy- No crutches 025.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Cute. However I don't think he is chubby. He looks as if he could use a bit more over the top. Are you feeding him a growth food?

Congratulations on a very cute guy!

He looks like a lovely boy but I have to agree with Ashley, altho it is hard to be sure from the photos it does look like he is a bit underweight. A big belly does not mean fat, it might be that he needs a feed specially formulated to meet the needs of growing youngster. Feel under that winter wool, can you feel ribs? Hips? Spine? Any of those areas being bony is likely to mean he needs better nutrition not fewer calories.

Again congrats, and welcome to the wonderful world of miniature horses :D.

Okay thanks, he isn't getting grain, the farrier said he shouldn't have any. He's out on grass 24/7 and gets a flake of hay in the morning and a flake at night. He does have a really round belly but I can feel his hips a little bit. It is hard to tell under his wooly mammoth coat! We have Purina grain for miniature horses and ponies. How much grain do you recommend?Weds October 10th- Teddy- No crutches 014.JPG

I haven't fed the purina but I would follow the directions on the package as quantity per weight. He is cute!!! Congrats. My little snuggler is named Teddy as well.

Congratulations on your new guy
default_yes.gif

Okay thanks, he isn't getting grain, the farrier said he shouldn't have any. He's out on grass 24/7 and gets a flake of hay in the morning and a flake at night. He does have a really round belly but I can feel his hips a little bit. It is hard to tell under his wooly mammoth coat! We have Purina grain for miniature horses and ponies. How much grain do you recommend?View attachment 12288
I would feed him the recommended amount on the bag. I am not sure I'd be feeding him that much hay and on grass 24/7 as well. I'd cut back the hay or grass and give the grain and I bet he starts filling out on the top real nice.

Marsha

It is grass hay. I will check and see what the bag says for grain.

Latest posts

Back