My morning adventure/rescue mission

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielleee

Reaction score
This might be long bare with me.

I keep my horses at my grandmothers and along with paying board I feed a couple times a week. This morning my mom and I were on our way there when we see a horse and two minis in someones backyard. After a few seconds it clicked in my brain that I knew where these horses live so we pull in the driveway and I go walk up to them to see how easily they're gonna let me catch them and to my surprise 2 of them met me in the middle. No one had a halter on so I called my grandma and had her bring halters. We haltered the horse and one of the minis hoping the third would follow (which she did) and started on our journey to their house which was farther than we thought.

Now these horses had been out since last night before it even got dark and no one went to find them. Apparently they're always getting out. Their manes and tails are totally covered with burrs its just terrible. So when we finally get to the house the lady comes out and not even a minute after shes like "my dad said you can just take them if you want they're always getting out and he doesn't want to deal with it anymore" so I mean obviously we took them none of us wanted to leave them there. So by 10:00 this morning we had three new additions tucked in and safe.

They'res gonna be a baby on the way most likely the mare was with both studs so thats not the most wonderful thing in the world especially since no ones registered. But baby will be loved and the boys will be gelded and everyone will be taken care of how they should be taken care of.

(we don't keep our big horses with our minis but this big guy, who is actually just a large pony, loves his two minis so for now they're gonna be kept together)

Not the best pictures in the world but something to look at.

IMG_4711.jpg

IMG_6642.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

Forgot to add their fencing was like some kind of mesh (thats why they always escape) and they had no shelter at all.

Aww, poor things. Glad you took them home.
default_smile.png
Which one is the mare?

Marsha

I'm so glad you have the resources and willingness to take them in.

I know it would mean extra effort, but I would err on the side of wishful thinking and separate the mare, hoping that she isn't pregnant (as she surely will be in time if kept together).

Good luck with the new kids!

Last edited by a moderator:
The mare is the silver one with no forelock lol. And she will most likely be separated once everyone else is situated because now with these three extras we're pretty full so its gonna take some horse organizing lol.

So the palomino is a stallion? yikes, thats a big height difference if she could be in foal to him
default_sad.png

Marsha

Yeah I know its not a good situation but at least if she is in foal her and baby will be in better hands than they were before and hopefully everything turns out okay.

I would look into maybe having the mare aborted if she is not too far along- it may be a happier outcome in the long run than trying to give birth to a foal that is bigger than she can actually pass- it is a myth that the mare determines the size of the foal to the extent that she can pass it. btw.

Thank you for stepping in and doing for these horses what their owner wouldn't. I just cannot wrap my head about the fact that someone's brain works that way. I just makes me crazy. {{{ hugs }}}

CONGRATULATIONS! So glad your family was able to provide a home for these unwanted horses.
default_thumbup.gif
I am thinking it would be near impossible for that mare to be in foal to that palomino, as he would not be able to even mount her as she is so small she would fit right between his legs. At least that is what I'm hoping. A taller mare to a shorter stallion would be more accomodating, but I see it being a less possible (although not IMpossible) scenario for that staud to breed the tiny mare.

Hate to be the pessimist here but I would encourage your grandma to go back and get the transfer of ownership in writing in case they decide after you have cared for them all winter they want them back!

We did get it in writing so no worries about that. Thanks though! Everyone got their tails and manes brushed out today no more burrs/dreadlocks yay! and for the most part were very pleasant about it. They also got wormed and were good about that too.

We found her forelock (; that just gives you an idea about how matted it was. Her name is Bonnie and the little guys name is Clyde.

image.jpg

Bonnie has the most adorable face. That was wonderful that you were able to take them in. They all look like nice horses. Good luck with them,
default_smile.png

BLESS YOU! Gosh, when I was a kid, I would have given my right arm to have a horse. Had to wait most of my life to have horses. So many people just take them for granted. Here in WA there are so many horses you can't give them away to people. It's sad and pathetic.

You can see in that little mare's face how soft her eyes are; she's grateful!

Latest posts

Back