My "morbid" hobby

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Since I'm quite the cemetary dweller I came up with things to do there. Sometimes I go around and pick up vases and things that blew over and sometimes I make stuff. I've been doing this for a while now but some

people think its sick or something and I shouldn't be doing it.

At the cemetary, there is a garbage pit to put all the old flowers that got cruddy.

After a wind or storm, a lot of them get blown all over the place and the grounds people pick them

up and throw them in this place. I put Michael's name on his all the time so if his blows off, they know

where to put his back. Anyhow, I go to this ditch, garbage picker that I am and fish out a bunch of the fake flowers from the ditch and throw them up on the tail gate of my truck and drive over to Michaels place and go through them while I visit with him. I look for ones that aren't faded and nasty and are still usable. You know how nasty fake flowers can get. So I take the good ones apart with little wire cutters, combine them with others and clean them up with a little 409 and a paper towel and make all new little bouquets. Then I pass them back out to whoever looks like they need a flower on their grave. There's a lot of graves there I notice never have anything there. I'm thinking maybe they don't have anyone to bring them flowers. There is usually enough junk flowers to recycle and make a couple of hundred. Sometimes I make a couple of dozen, other times I just make two or three, yestarday I made 8 small ones. Only takes a little while. I don't see anything wrong with it because they were in the trash and were going to throw them out anyway.

Anyhow, that's what I do sometimes.

Not morbid at all, I believe it shows a very caring person, thinking of others who may not have someone to put flowers on their grave. Not everyone mourns the same way, if this helps you in any way, good for you that you have found something to bring you pleasure.

It sounds nice to me, Marty, not sick at all. I take it you live in one of those places where flowers get to stay? Where some of my family is buried here in Lodi, they remove and throw away everything from the graves once a week. I remember in WV where I went to college though there was a cemetery that I would go by that always had lots of colorful artificial flowers out. It looked nice like that.

default_aktion033.gif
Marty, that's a wonderful thing to do!
default_yes.gif
You'll certainly be blessed for doing such a wonderful act of kindness! My mother gave me a huge garbage bag full of silk flowers which had been given to her by my aunt. Me and a friend went to the graveyard where some of the family is buried and placed flowers on so many graves. We had so much fun and felt like we actually brought a little joy in a strange sort of way. You're definitely making a difference. We're so proud of you.

God bless,

Joan

Hehe I don't think I'm about to be blessed for it or anything, not hardly by a longshot and I might do it for selfish reasons.....like its a lot better having something else to do there than sit and cry in in the dirt and feel

sorry for myself.

In Florida where my parents are burried you are not allowed to bring anything at all. The cemetary has strict rules about that. They provide each plot with and everlasting candle that stays lit and their

own landscaping.

Here it's much different where Michael is. You do anything you want. Took me a while to figure out what to do so I looked at how his friends there that were also killed in wrecks did and their parents have brought

them everything but the kitchen sink.

For Michael I decorate for the seasons: he always gets flowers, and his own Chrismas tree, pumpkins, wind chimes, he loves wind chimes, Dr. Pepper is a must have and just stuff and as many angels as I can get my hands on. he loves his angels. I have one angel out there I wind up and it plays amazing grace. Then I leave candles and matches in a zip lock bag if you want to light a candle and also there is a cd player with his favorite cd's in a weather proof box his friends play. He had an easter basket of course; I do all kinds of stuff. And then I feel sorry for those that never have anything so I make them recycled flowers. Some people don't like it because they think I'm really over the edge now more than ever. Oh well......

This was Valentines Day and I had teddy bears stuck in his flowers

101_0700.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
default_yes.gif
How beautiful! You're such a wonderful mother. I just know he's looking down with a great big smile on his precious face. My prayers are constantly with you and your family. You've got lots of friends on this forum that are just a click away and always love to hear from you. I eagerly read your posts because I know I'm going to get a blessing or either laugh myself to tears over your adventures. In other words, you make our day!
default_aktion033.gif

God bless,

Joan

I think it is wonderful what you do if only more people were like you,

A while ago while taking my brother to the airport we drove past a massive cemetry with my auntie and there was a hole section of graves that were completly decorated and stunning I asked my auntie about it and on the way home she drove in and we walked around them some had had paving stones put down to make a patio and glasshouse things over the grave stones and filled them with soft toys and things that were pertected from the elimates with picket fences around covered in tropical flowers (fakeones) with plastis chairs for friends and family to sit on,

each grave was decorated like this in some manner and my auntie told me they were samoan grave sites and that every sunday the familys would come after church and sit around and celebrate them and have picnic lunches all together I was just blowen away at the effort and beauty it was a nice way to celebrate a beloved one gone it has to be seen to be believed I wish I could describe it better.

I think that is the kindest gesture I have heard in a long time! If more people did things like that think of how the world would be.
default_yes.gif
default_smile.png

Marty

Not morbid at all I have told you before of my friend who lost her son two days after 911 in a terrible car accident. His grave is within 1000 yards of her house. She goes once a week and cleans up both his grave and others. She also seasonally decorates his lot and gets rid of faded nasty flowers at other gravesites. She too hears from the grapevine that people think shes crazy and has asked me many times if I think its crazy NOPE not crazy just a mom still loving her boy. He also got an Easter basket and soon new decorations for Spring though right now there is still snow there so he has his hockey skates and stick at the moment. I think its wonderful of you to think of those who have no one else who cares. It makes her feel better to do this for Brian and no one should question it. JMO of course.

So crazy is doing kind things?? No not in my book!

You are doing a good thing Marty, dont let anyone get you to stop.. If it fills your sad time AND helps in a happy way to others who have nothing on their graves then I say go for it..

oh marty, i see absolutely nothing morbid here. i thinks it's a wonderful, caring thing you do. i go to gary's grave every weekend and on my days off. i do much the same thing. if i find flowers scattered, i gather them up and put them on the nearest grave.

gary is buried in a tiny little country cemetery where we are allowed free rein to do pretty much whatever we want. it's a lovely little spot and i am so thankful it is very close to home, just a couple of miles down the road.

bless you for caring so much. michael, i am sure, is so proud of you.
default_smile.png

Morbid? Not by a long shot.......... I think it's a perfect example of how one person can do so much for others and one person can make a difference. True, the ones reaping your kindness may not be able to "speak" to you directly and say thank you, but I am sure that those souls that have no one else visit them are saying thank you to you for caring and sharing. It is an awesome gift you are giving!

My Mom is buried in a small cemetary, and we can do some things, but we can't get in the way of mowers, so it's a little bit limited. I do wish that I lived closer and I could visit her headstone and my Aunt's more often, but knowing that people like you Marty exist, I think it gives my heart a hug. I can only hope that others in my Mom's cemetary are as thoughtful.

I for one do not think you are crazy, I think it's very honorable!

Hugs to you.

Valerie

I don't see it as morbid, nor crazy.

All of that energy is a good way to harness the love you have for Michael and he for you. Nothing wrong with it, it just hurts to think of the why...

Liz

WOW, I absolutely love" recyclers"! I say, go for it Marty and to heck with what anyone says!
default_aktion033.gif
Mary

I think that is sweet and caring. I dont have kids so I am sure no one would come to my grave and I would want someone to put an occasional flower on my grave.

Some people don't like it because they think I'm really over the edge now more than ever. Oh well......
.................... Call it therapy for the heart & soul............ I also recycle a lot of things - way TOO much waste going on in this world!

Marty, I think that is the nicest thing I have ever heard. Youare very special.

Robin

Latest posts

Back