My Minis won't play at ALL!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoddalottaFarm

Reaction score
Hey all! Okay straight to the point... I have 2 geldings who are 8 and 10 years old. I have had both boys for a little over a year and neither one will play with ANYTHING! We bought each one a "stall ball" that hung for a while, and then we removed them to see if they would "free play" with them. We also bought those apple holders that hold the peppermint Likit treats, and have tried grain in a milk jug. They didn't touch any of them no matter what we did! We (being my husband and I) run, toss the ball, shake the milk jug and act like complete goobers in front of the neighbors, and the Minis just look at us like we are insane! :DOH! I don't know what to do. They won't even play with each other! HOW do you teach a Mini to play? I admit, both boys are a tad overweight (round pen is being made as we speak!) but at least Sam (10 year old) will trot if you lunge him. Derby (8 year old) won't even MOVE if you snap a whip by him. NOTHING makes Derby move. NOTHING. He won't do more than a walk, even when being lunged! How can I get them to move and play? I am open to ANY (safe and loving) ideas! I'd love to see them out together kicking up their heels, but they won't do that either. I *KNOW* they aren't too old to play! I'm so confused!
default_wacko.png

My first thought was that maybe they dont feel well but if they are feeling OK even our oldest will run and play all by herself. Are their feet OK? I guess Im grasping here but if they dont run when you first turn them out that is strange at least it seems so to me as all of ours when they are first turned out run and go like kids even the fattest of them. They dont keep it up all day or even for hours at a time but they do go when they are first turned out. My older horses dont want to play with toys either but they all love their dishes to play with. I hope someone else can help you more than I have.

in my experience older horses rarely play. Once in a while mine will run madly around bucking and kicking but overall they aren't like my younger boys who ruff house and grab each others halters and rear and mock fight ect. Very few of mine are really "players" and do not play with any sort of toys either. I'm sure being overweight makes them more sluggish too..just like a overweight person is less likely to be active. Honestly i probably wouldn't worry too much about them but i would worry about the weight because you can run into founder issues as well as joint issues ect from being overweight.

If they are best buddies and don't like to be separated put one in your round pen and take the other away and watch the one left pace and scream! will get him going! Get them slimmed out and you might see a big difference. Anothert hing if he's not afraid of the whip..dont' be afraid to give him a good smack so he knows you mean business. He's not going to go if he doesn't think you mean business!

Umm. . .get a dog for you guys, maybe??
default_smile.png

Just kidding, I just enjoyed the visual of the minis watching you guys trying to get them to play
default_biggrin.png

Mine don't usually play with toys either.

They don't bother to play with eachother that much when they are more interested in grazing.

I would not let this bother you one bit.

As for chasing them around with a whip to get them to play and move .......You could set a bomb off by mine and they will still stand there and graze

Sounds like a job for clicker training! Food motivated, eh? Put the little beggers to work! I would do some basic clicker work with them and then start some trick training.

Here's some inspiration:

And here are a couple of my own "trick horse," Alladdin...

OG2007-bow.jpg

Cavalcade2007-Liberty3.jpg

You will be amazed at what your horses will think about and do once you teach them how rewarding it can be.
default_biggrin.png

Great videos. I've seen several of hers and am amazed at what a wonderful job she does. 'Course his horses are pretty darned impressive too - first time I've seen that one.

I would look at spending time with them in the field and helping them to loose some of their weight....study what they are eating and cut back or change to something that will let them feel better. Most horses if overweight or bored with the same routine day after day slow way down.

My horses love to run and play. But not all the time when I am looking. I do notice that they love to run just before a storm comes in, when there is a new animal hanging around, when put into a new field or separated from the herd, and always after they get clipped and bathed. Just getting out and being walked or lunged in a different field really perks them up.

I guess to me, they are just like us. If we put on a few pounds we feel it and slow down. But let us do something fun and different and we perk right up. Just get in tune with them by spending more time with them and you will find out just what they need to spark their activity.

My horses never play- I have never had a grown horse that does it is not in their remit, as it were.

Cats, dogs etc are different- horses are only basic domestic animals.

Think about it when did you last see a herd of cows "playing"??

If they were bored they would soon find a way of letting you know.

Relax you just have very well adjusted, happy horses, leave them be!
default_wink.png

We have 3 horses, both of the mares did not play at all. When our foal was born Silver my younger girl started to play with the baby. Now she and he, run like idiots all the time, bitting kicking whatever.

Rainbow, my mare, no, she just eats!
default_rolleyes.gif
She rarly moves at all. We started taking her on walks and she is starting to do more!

Try haltering them and going on walks, if you can. I would say start one at a time, till they are used to it. I think it helped my mare realize there was more to the world than the hay bin. She really had fun! She even kicked up her heels and trotted and bucked a bit. Naughty yes but I was proud of her!
default_biggrin.png
She has a very nice trot!

Also, we have goats and dogs, sometimes Rainbow gets annoyed at them and will chase a bit. I love to see her run because it is so rare!
default_wub.png

Good luck with them, and I too have been a fool out trying to get mine to play. Even when the foal is playing and I want to join in, he just stops running to look at me like,

Uh..........you are not in our club! You only have 2 legs!

Most of my older horses do not really play much either.. other than going on a toot once in a while when the weather is cool and breezy or stormy.. Yesterday the stud wanted to play with the colt, but we had a HUGE rain storm that had just quit and it was cold and they were feeling goooood!

Some do, and some dont...

THANKS ALL!

It's good to know that most of you have horses who don't play either. I thought something was wrong.
default_smile.png
Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, the boys are healthy and yes, their hooves are in great shape. But, yes, they both could stand to lose about 20 and 45 pounds respectively. We are working on that.
default_smile.png
I really, REALLY appreciate all the posts!

Latest posts

Back