My Minis- Opinions/Suggestions for a novice please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoey3

Reaction score
Here are my two minis, well one is technicaly a Shetland. I have finaly got some pretty good pics of them, just cliped them last month for the first time and they both were good. Just didn't get to the legs knees down, but they have shedded out pretty good. just trimmed up some with scissors. Not going to show until this Fall. They clip job was not perfect as you may can see, but it was there first time and only my second time to clip a mini(have clipped sheep and dogs hundreds of times, just never horses).

Anyways I am novice and would like some opinions and suggestions. I have been around big horses all my life but new to the minis. First would like to know what you think of them, just the basics like what you perticularly like/dislike about them. Second what do you think is the color of each? Indie is out of a palomino stallion and a silver dapple mare. Star is out of a deluted bay stallion and a sorrel mare. Third the colts mane is doing pretty good, because it is thin, but the filly has a very thick mane. Would love some opinions on managing her mane, will it maybe get thinner as she ages?

The first is Indie. He is AMHR/ASPC over foundation colt born in March 2011. Second is Star, she is ASPC under classic filly born in May 2011.

Indie.JPG

Indie 2.JPG

Indie 3.JPG

Indie head shot.JPG

Star.JPG

Star 2.JPG

Star head shot.JPG

I especially like Indie the best. I like him overall. The only real negative I see with him is he does have a pretty thick neck and would defiantly sweat him. I think I would call him a silver dapple. Star the one thing I really like about her is her hip, she has a awesome hip. Her neck does tie a little low in the chest and her head is a little long then I would like. She's not a bad looking filly I think she will mature really nice. I would call her a black.

Star's sire is probably a smoky black or a dark brown buckskin (he's produced a buckskin and his sire is a buckskin). Star looks as though she could be a smoky black as well. Cream testing would tell you for sure.

I think they both look like they are in great shape! I noticed that with most people who are new to minis they tend to have plumper minis but I think yours look great!

Pretty sure Indie is silver dapple, but don't understand why he turns brown when his hair grows out some. After he was clipped, he was dark grey with some dappling around his belly, but not long after he began to turn brown. Does being out in the sun have anything to do with it? Or is it common in silver dapples to do this and that quickly? Looks like I have to re clip him for every show.... As for the filly, I am pretty sure she is not smoky black. I never thought about buckskin? I sent her papers without a clip job because I got her in the Fall and it was too cold to clip her and I sure did not want to stress her more then she already was, plus I had no blanket for her. We put down she was either bay, chocolate or smokey black, and they put her as liver chestnut. She looks possibly liver chestnut, but the dark reddish color seems to only be her baby fuzz and tip of her mane and tail. Will have to see if she grows out reddish as she grows out, but so far she looks chocolate to me. Her dad is a lighter brown color all over with a black mane and tail, but not black legs, and three small white socks. Looking at a pic of him as a weanling, he looks smokey black or dark chocolate, like Star but darker. Drastic change in color, he carrys the delution gene.

GMS Minis, Indie does have a thick neck compaired to Star thats for sure! Want to geld him but still waiting for him to drop... Star had a very slow start, she was thin and wormy when I got her last Fall. She is slowly catching up, filling out nicly and will continue to do so.

Mr. T, thanks, I have been trying to put weight on them since last Fall because they were both on the thin side, Star the worst as she was behind in her growth. Finaly they look good, Star just needs to put on some muscle! Both are on spring grass so I have had to cut the grain in half, but once Summer hits Star will defiantly get more grain, but Indie not sure, he looks like he is an early maturer.

Thanks,

Casey

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back