My mini has little or no frog and hollow hooves in the front!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kay56649

Reaction score
My mini made has hollow hooves and either a small or

Or no frog! Our farrier said its pretty weird but I have no clue what to do about

It!!!! Please reply of you have any suggestions!! Do you think mini shoes would help?

Did you just purchase her? We once bought a filly that didn't have any frogs left in the rear hooves, we thought the farrier just trimmed them off too short for whatever reason, she did recover and grow new frogs that were normal.

My hubby is a farrier, and the filly that we bought, he figured that she had thrush, and the farrier just trimmed away all the dead frog and hoof! I've not seen it since, but it did grow back on this filly! Yes pictures would be nice.

Once in a while some of my minis shed on their own most of their frog to where it looks kind of the way you describe..... "hollow" and I notice it when I clean their hooves out to trim them, but it always grows back and is nothing to worry about. ......at least in the case of mine when I see it once in a while. So if yours is something different I do not know the answer.

Susan O.

My hubby is a farrier, and the filly that we bought, he figured that she had thrush, and the farrier just trimmed away all the dead frog and hoof! I've not seen it since, but it did grow back on this filly! Yes pictures would be nice.
How strange! I can't imagine a hoof without a frog! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Simetunes they do aged their fringe to the point where the remaining portion is very small--it is not that there is no frig, it is just a very small one,, rather well up in the hoof. It is nothing to worry about, the hoof is still healthy and the frog grows out again.

There is nothing wrong with a concave sole; it is actually good in that it gives the foot some clearance--doesn't matter a lot of the time but if the horse is on rocky ground--either a pasture with some stones or gravel or if the horse is being driven on some gravelled surfaces--there is less chance of bruising.

Assuming it is a healthy foot--properly trimmed and not overgrown or having contracted heels--there is no need to worry.

I had bought a mini with no frogs & that was because she had sever thrush & it ate away her frogs. All 4 were gone. But they grew back with no problems. Took a long time.

My gelding shed 3 of his frogs off the first week I had him and also had that hollow look because he needed a trim. All better now that he is trimmed, and the frog naturally sloughs off. My dude did not have thrush and has no problems with his feet and the farrier was not concerned.

We got her for $200 and in foal to a stud worth $2000 so I'm guessing it was because of her feet! They kind of almost pancake outward and don't stand up straight! Her filly has completely normal feet, but I'm worried about what I should do with her mom? I will try to take pictures tonight when they come in!
default_smile.png
thanks for replying and trying to help! It just seems she has no support in her feet!

We got her in November 2011

Her hooves are not only hollow but very deep!! They r about 1-2 inches deep and she is about 35"!

Do you think she should have mini horse shoes?

Pictures would be helpful and would let others be more comfortable about telling you their thoughts and/or ideas.

Im just telling them what is going on right now! I have no idea what to do and that's why I am asking...I don't know why they wouldnt be comfortable!

Oh sorry please ignore the last post!!!! I misread the last post!:$

Oops Im sorry I didnt mean to upset you. I just meant that its easier to give an opinion on what is normal or not, or what to do about a problem if they can actually see what you are talking about. I really am sorry if that came out as offending to you as that was not my intention at all.

No no...you didn't upset me at all I just read it wrong the first time! Ha ha no please don't take it that way! I just read it wrong.
default_smile.png

It sounds like her feet may be far too long; if they are spread out it is probably because she hasn't had regular hoof trims. Horses that go a long time between trims often end up with bad flares, or even very spread out hoofs. It will take a few trims but her feet should come back. It is likely they will always have the tendency to flare out if they get long. Some horses grow very upright feet ( show horse hoof!) and others get spread out feet.

That is my best guess based on your last posts. Would need pix to say for sure.

I don't think I would use shoes; shoes can help to draw in a spread out hoof but I have personally worked wonders with neglected feet just with trimming, no shoes.

Her feet have been trimmed every 6-8 weeks and no later than 8 weeks since November 2011. Should we do it more often?? Her hooves are kind of shaped funny, they haven't cracked or anything. My farrier said its weird. I will post pictures to help you out. It will be in a little bit, because I will put them in, clean her hooves out, take some pictures, then post them! Sorry it has been a busy day and not much time to take pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back