My membership is on its way

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
Hey All,

Ok, so I finally did it. I mailed the membership form in. I have been reading and watching for a while. I do post on the horse forum some. I have been to local auctions and seen what goes through there. I don't know of any other members here in New Mexico but you have to start somewhere.

My handle is minimule because I raise miniature mules.

I work a compressed work week so I have 3-4 days off a week that I could transport horses around the state. I don't have a lot of extra room but could house a rescue temporarily until a home could be found. I do have a lot of horse contacts throughout the state that I could encourage to help us out as well.

I do have an excellent vet that will work with me when needed. He is a humane vet that is upfront and honest in all situations, not just out for a buck.

I can't think of anything else to tell you. I will be glad to answer any questions you have though.

Shawna Brown

Welcome Shawna!

Glad that you are joining us. We can use all the help we can get, and I think right now that you may be the only one in your state to have signed up with us. So, what all are you volunteering to help with? Have a look on our sight www.chancesminihorserescue.org and see what you want to do. I know that we are always in need of State Coordinators that can help handle thing in their state and head up getting the word out, and foster homes are a must, although I honestly hope that it is never needed.

If you look throught the forms that are on our site, it will tell you some of the things that we look for. And I am sure that one of the other BOD members will be contacting you as well when they receive your membership.

Thanks so much for thinking of us.
yes.gif

Welcome!!! And thank you so much. We look forward to workign with you and the minis thank you

Hi There Shawna! I was so glad to hear that you joined,
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif
I just joined lately too! I got your email -I will get back to you later. Corinne

Well, the biggest thing I can help with is transport through the state and maybe into AZ, TX, CO, OK. I have 3-4 days off a week and a good trailer and truck.

I would be willing to handle the State Coordinator if I can get some help on what needs to be done, at least until someone else joins that would be more adept at it. I am a member of a mini equine club, mule and donkey club and a driving club.

Like I said before, I don't have a lot of extra space but would be able to house a rescue temporarily.

I do know of a situation locally that may develop faster than it should and needs to be stopped somehow but I have no idea how. They are acquiring mares as fast as they can. They claim to be "rescuing" them but intend to breed them. Their goal is to be the biggest breeder in the area. I'm concerned with the situation because they do not have the facilities, space, money, or knowledge to do this. They are not acquiring animals that will improve the breed but what they can find cheap.

Any suggestions?

On this, feel free to email me personally. [email protected]

I will also be sending in my in membership soon.

But for now I would like to address MiniMule. Your statements in the above post got me very aggravated.

I believe I know who you are referring to in your area, as they are very close friends of mine.

I have seen quite a few of the mini owners properties in the area as I used to live there.

First of all everyone in that area has too many horses, be it big or small, for their small acreages, including you.

Secondly how can you sit there and talk about a person’s financial situation or level of equine knowledge when you don’t know what goes on in their private life behind closed doors. Do you know for a fact how much they make each year?

As to them acquiring horses too quickly, sometimes things happen that way, and when opportunities knock you have to answer. I know this from personal experience. When you are trying to start a new business you have to do things when you can.

If you are talking about who I think you are, I know for a fact that the mares they have recently acquired all have top bloodlines and great conformation and they are all double registered. And 2 of them in their opinion and mine are rescues, but define the word rescue. Don’t you in fact also have a “rescue†mare whom you bred this year? There is no reason these mares cannot be bred. They are both double registered with great bloodlines and conformation. They were simply in horrible homes where they were neglected, and are now going to a great home, where they will be fixed up before being bred. That said if they are in too bad of shape to be bred I know for a fact they will not be. The person whom I am speaking has years of knowledge and vet experience, and a horse could not go to a better place. The horses belonging to this person live out their lives at their home, and are never sold. They are constantly pampered and loved on.

As for wanting to be the “biggest breeder in the areaâ€, if you are speaking of whom I think you are, then you are mistaken. They simply want to be known, like every breeder does. They don’t want to be the biggest they want to be the best, with a few select horses that will produce quality offspring.

On an end note, this is very disturbing to me that someone could come on this board and post a thread about a situation that they don’t have all the facts about or know the true circumstances of, and could very easily hurt or ruin the reputation and future of this person’s family and business, regardless of who it may be that you are speaking of.

nono.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have small acerage but all of my horses are well cared for. I am currently working on getting more land to accomodate my animals. Not that that is any of your business. I am not buying anymore horses. In fact, 2 of the animals I have now aren't mine, they are here to help out a friend.

Yes, most of the mini owners in this area have too many horses. So lets just go add the population.
nono.gif
I could say who they are but I chose not to.

My "rescue" mare was bred before I wanted her to be. My jack broke down the panels while all the mares were out because she was in heat. Not much I could do about that. I learned a lesson and have corrected the situation so it doesn't happen again. And I admit, when I went to the auction, I went with the intention of buying a mare to breed. I have done a lot of thinking and re-evaluating since then.

There are a couple of people in our area that are acquiring mares at a rapid rate JUST to breed them. One of them wanted a mare of mine and I refused to sell to them.

If you say you have a "rescue" then that is what you should have, not a breeding farm.

Lets all take a deep breath! Since no names have been posted I will not delete this unless it gets more out of hand.

The issue of wether rescue mares should be bred has been a hot one ever since CMHR started. CMHR's philosophy on this is this: Since there are so many available mares for breeding why would anyone need to breed a rescue. As most of you know any stallion CMHR takes in will be gelded but mares are a much harder issue. Accidents do happen and we know that. Stallions breaking fences etc. But we do feel that every precaution should be taken so that a rescue mare does not get bred. Now if someone rescues a mare on their own and decides to breed it there is nothing CMHR can do if it is not one of our rescues. That is something a indivual has to decide for themselves. I will say I have seen many rescues bred that i felt should not have been. Our rescue mare Ginger is dbl registered --correct confirmation and has an unsual beautiful head and eye. Everyone that comes here asks why i am not breeding her. Then I explain that she is a rescue and will live out her days in lazy contentment just being a horse.

Also this is just my OWN feeling Making profit off a rescue would be a definate conflict of interest for ME. There is no way I could do it and sleep at night. I have spent hours pondering this issue from every angle. And i have had people faced with this issue ask me and i always reply --- can you love this horse for just being a horse with nothing but love in return. No profit down the road--no foals to sell. If you answered yes you are destined to own a rescue
smile.gif

Hi, everyone--

Just an FYI- I am in New Mexico(and I LOVE my state....), and I joined CMHR back in April of last year, soon after it was formed--so think maybe I was the first from my state. Do CMHR want people to rejoin yearly, BTW?

Just curious--are any records of who joins, and when, being kept?

In any case, I strongly support the concept of genuine rescue(and,BTW, am with kaykay in feeling that rescues should NOT be being bred), and for pretty much the same reasons she spelled out. My best to CMHR!!
thumbup.gif

Margo Cox-Townsend

Latest posts

Back