My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any opinions on much longer? She's stalled alone at night. Getting cameras up soon (I hope! I love being dependent on teenagers!)
That's a pregnant belly if ever I've seen one :) Not sure how long but I don't think you will be waiting as long as you did with snickers.

Even though its hard to get too close to her , try and get a sneaky look at her udder when you can as you may notice the start of some development :)

That's a pregnant belly if ever I've seen one :) Not sure how long but I don't think you will be waiting as long as you did with snickers.

Even though its hard to get too close to her , try and get a sneaky look at her udder when you can as you may notice the start of some development :)
She's been letting me get udder pictures at times. Depends on her mood! I'll be out there in a bit here and see where she's at. I sure hope her disposition gets better after the foaling (Snickers is so much sweeter now!). I don't blame them. I was a bit cranky too at the end of my pregnancies! Then I get to figure out tech stuff with cameras as my kiddo just took off for the evening. GRR...teenagers!

She seems to be getting pretty close, how close I can't exactly say (of course!) but I do have her on foal watch. Was hoping for that tiny miracle while I had a few days off from work, but apparently she's going to make me wait it out a bit longer! Pretty sure within the month, most likely in the next 1-2 weeks (hopefully!) because sleep deprivation. I'm glad I just had a foal come into my life in April because I'm not quite so panic stricken (Thanks, Taz and Ryan!). There's a sign I'm learning to look for more now-stretching and discomfort. Snickers could have been a contortionist and Pepper is headed that way. In the last month or so it seems they do a lot more stretching to get comfortable. Looks something like some of the human yoga poses too! Having trouble loading pictures unfortunately. I think she's just waiting for the foal's "go ahead" signal :)

How’s your girl coming?
She's still hanging on to that baby! (and driving her human crazy in the process!) Everything is coming along nicely and she looks ready to go often, but then takes it back. She has had several V belly days and then it disappears by the next day. Beginning to wonder if she isn't just fully enjoying getting totally spoiled with all the attention, her own huge comfy stall, etc. Just worried about winter coming with a baby on the way!!

Still waiting the long wait! Trying to be patient but it's hard when rough weather could start up at any time. Anytime now would be great. Off sick from work for the weekend. (Not COVID, thank goodness-already been there). Just sinus and lung infections. Likely from wearing masks all the time. But at least I'm home. Now if only Pepper and foal would be obliging! Udder is not at all cooperative.

IMG_1240.jpgSo, In August this poor girl looked REALLY pregnant. Here she is on Nov 17. She is absolutely huge. (Although a very thick coat of winter hair has come in). Udder still not fully developing (at least as far as I know...I've been really sick and forgot my camera last couple of times I intended to take pictures...sorry!) Any thoughts? Her breathing is somewhat labored over the past couple of weeks. In August, She used to get "stuck" trying to get up from lying down position and has figured out to rock herself a few times before jumping to her feet. She's a former brood mare (well, I guess not so former anymore) so belly is likely pretty stretched out. Her belly shape changes a lot. A lot of belly activity so I know there's a baby in there. Not much history other than that. She is literally starting to look like a cow. Vet has not looked at her since she and Snickers were checked three months before Jasper was to arrive. Per vet at that time Snickers was only 3 months pregnant (but would have had to beat least 6 months along per birth date). When he checked Pepper on that day he said she was not pregnant. Jasper is 7 months tomorrow.IMG_1241.jpgSorry about picture placement here! This is her udder the same evening. Hard to see with all her hair. Any thoughts??? Thanks!

She def has some work to do on that udder , but that may not happen till foaling. If she's one of those mares that doesn't bag up prior to foaling, then I would be watching she shape of her stomach as an indication she is getting closer. If she is massive and her sides are visibly sticking out when you are standing behind her , keep watching for her to be visibly less noticeable from behind. I also find change in temperament and personality an indication she is getting closer :)

She def has some work to do on that udder , but that may not happen till foaling. If she's one of those mares that doesn't bag up prior to foaling, then I would be watching she shape of her stomach as an indication she is getting closer. If she is massive and her sides are visibly sticking out when you are standing behind her , keep watching for her to be visibly less noticeable from behind. I also find change in temperament and personality an indication she is getting closer :)
Pepper's sides have narrowed considerably. No other changes. Maybe she's waiting for Spring! Her belly has "V'd" so many times I've lost count. I don't think she's quite ready though. Udder comes and goes. Ugh! Just terrified she's going to foal at the worst possible time of year and no barn, just a run in. I can really only keep her dry when stalled. It's quite basic really. Snow and ice and winds are here now. At least 6 more inches to fall this weekend. Am I the only one who hates winter?! Taz, Izzy will be first! ❄🤣

You are not the only one who hates winter. I keep wondering why horses don't hibernate so we can too. That's really the only thing wrong with winter, I wouldn't mind it if I didn't have to go outside ever. We've got winter starting here now too :(

I don't wish the 'never ending foal watch' on you but I really hope Pepper is the type of mare that shows it from the beginning and she's going to hold off until at least mid/late March.

Last edited:
How are things going
UGH...I've decided she's either NEVER going to have this baby OR there's more than one baby--YIKES! OR she swallowed someone....All are possible!! She's getting so big that on some days her belly almost reaches the ground and then other days hardly looks pregnant, is slab sided, v'd, the whole nine yards. I will be on foal watch forever I'm afraid. I think Taz may be right in that she showed right away...but who knows? Just keep watching and waiting...and waiting...and waiting...One thing I'm certain of---there is somebody in there! Just don't know when the grand entrance will be :)

So another month has rolled by since my last photos of Pepper! She's just even bigger now but that's about it. I'm now thinking perhaps she started showing that belly immediately after conception because I've been waiting for something significant to happen since I was so sure in AUGUST it would be any day. Such a bad judge of time! Poor Jasper needs a playmate. His emotional Mama, as I called her, passed away the other day and he is frantic still. While Patches wasn't his real mother and could not nurse him, he was always by her side and was very bonded to her. He's so lost. I keep pleading with Pepper to have her little one so at least he'll have something to watch before baby is big enough to be playing with him. So now a new question? Would a 7 month old be likely to attack a new foal? At the very least I think he'd be pretty rough even if he didn't mean to hurt anyone. Any thoughts on how or when to introduce them without a fence between them?

Latest posts

Back