My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is huge. Just eyeing her I can tell where foal is, so that is lucky! I do take some pictures so I have a bit of a history with her pregnancy :) I think you are right and Taz has been watching right along with me and says the same as you. Frankly, now I feel I can wait. More snow on the ground last couple of days...ugh...Should've known we'd get more snow as it is April Fool's Day (basically practical joke day). Don't know if it is recognized in Australia or Canada. Does seem like Mother Nature has pulled a fast one on us so now I am in no big hurry for baby to arrive in this weather! We have a shelter but it's still pretty cold and damp out and not ideal. I am excited and terrified at the same time that something might go wrong. Foaling kit already to go and 17 year old son has been advised he is helping me. Made him watch foaling videos too. Poor kid now knows more than he wished he did...LOL. At least he is willing to help!

She is huge. Just eyeing her I can tell where foal is, so that is lucky! I do take some pictures so I have a bit of a history with her pregnancy :) I think you are right and Taz has been watching right along with me and says the same as you. Frankly, now I feel I can wait. More snow on the ground last couple of days...ugh...Should've known we'd get more snow as it is April Fool's Day (basically practical joke day). Don't know if it is recognized in Australia or Canada. Does seem like Mother Nature has pulled a fast one on us so now I am in no big hurry for baby to arrive in this weather! We have a shelter but it's still pretty cold and damp out and not ideal. I am excited and terrified at the same time that something might go wrong. Foaling kit already to go and 17 year old son has been advised he is helping me. Made him watch foaling videos too. Poor kid now knows more than he wished he did...LOL. At least he is willing to help!

I also hope your mare, or mine doesn't decide to foal this week. Lots of snow here, and they're calling for lots of rain, snow and cold until next week. UGH. An yes, April's fool is recognized here in Canada... But I can't say for Australia. Last year on April's fool it snowed after a few days of nicer weather, so I was kind of expecting this... 😒

Reactions: Taz
So, I see I started this crazy thread about one year ago. At that time I was concerned I had one, maybe two pregnant little ones. Since that time we had one slip a foal (found TINY foal about 12" long, fully developed found in manure pile). Lost one sweet older mare, probably from acorn toxicity. Now have Snickers ready to have her baby anytime (no breed date). This forum and all the participants have been so helpful about educating me! I am so grateful! Special thanks to Taz for watching cameras and much more! So, I have one more question and perhaps elizabeth.conder can help answer this one? I am wondering about color possibilities of this new foal. So I know very little about what is called what. I THINK Snickers is black/white tobiano? Stud would be Volt and he is reddish with white socks and a faint line down the spine that is just a little darker than he is. I know zip about their heritage. Just curious. Also hoping for steady nerves of steel when this baby starts coming. On another note, this is a VERY active baby and always has been right from the start. I think time is running out and it is still rockin'and rollin' a lot. Could there be something wrong? Snickers is much bigger than my other minis so maybe she just has more room? Any thoughts?

So, I see I started this crazy thread about one year ago. At that time I was concerned I had one, maybe two pregnant little ones. Since that time we had one slip a foal (found TINY foal about 12" long, fully developed found in manure pile). Lost one sweet older mare, probably from acorn toxicity. Now have Snickers ready to have her baby anytime (no breed date). This forum and all the participants have been so helpful about educating me! I am so grateful! Special thanks to Taz for watching cameras and much more! So, I have one more question and perhaps elizabeth.conder can help answer this one? I am wondering about color possibilities of this new foal. So I know very little about what is called what. I THINK Snickers is black/white tobiano? Stud would be Volt and he is reddish with white socks and a faint line down the spine that is just a little darker than he is. I know zip about their heritage. Just curious. Also hoping for steady nerves of steel when this baby starts coming. On another note, this is a VERY active baby and always has been right from the start. I think time is running out and it is still rockin'and rollin' a lot. Could there be something wrong? Snickers is much bigger than my other minis so maybe she just has more room? Any thoughts?

Could you add pictures of your stallion? I agree, Snickers is likely (without testing) a black tobiano. I don’t think I’ve seen him before.I wouldn’t be too worried about lots of foal movement. A good sign of a healthy foal. Probably uncomfortable for Snickers but I bet it’s okay.

Could you add pictures of your stallion? I agree, Snickers is likely (without testing) a black tobiano. I don’t think I’ve seen him before.I wouldn’t be too worried about lots of foal movement. A good sign of a healthy foal. Probably uncomfortable for Snickers but I bet it’s okay.
Here is a photo of Volt. 20210403_145736.jpgHe also has a darker line down his back.

Okay so he is definitely a bay Tobiano. Probably has ND1 which is non dun 1. Snickers appears to be black Tobiano. Without testing, this is the calculation. There are some other variables. Like if snickers has a parent that is a palomino/buckskin/Smokey black she could be a Smokey black to but you would have to test to know that.

Attachments

• 3C1A0F01-3CCC-4F5F-A16F-B6A39E281B0A.png
    3C1A0F01-3CCC-4F5F-A16F-B6A39E281B0A.png
    422.5 KB · Views: 11
Me, too. I don’t post much, but lately, I’ve been checking the thread every
Okay so he is definitely a bay Tobiano. Probably has ND1 which is non dun 1. Snickers appears to be black Tobiano. Without testing, this is the calculation. There are some other variables. Like if snickers has a parent that is a palomino/buckskin/Smokey black she could be a Smokey black to but you would have to test to know that.
Oh my gosh, thank you so much! Makes it that much more exciting! My boyfriend is predicting baby will be the least likely....I have no idea myself. A healthy foal and mare is what I'm hoping for! Weather has suddenly become beautiful. Hoping soon!

Hi. Sorry, have been remiss in putting pics up for a bit. Here are some from last evening. She is doing well, but is uncomfortable. Poor girl! She took elongation back yesterday and has only minimal udder going, but udder no longer is of too much concern. When I can see it in person it is plenty big enough and I suspect will continue to fill as time gets closer or she foals (was worried about effect of acorn toxicity). From the front she barely looks pregnant, but she is HUGE! Luckily her mood has improved drastically and she comes over to me for affection when I get home from work and is now letting me touch her more (even got to lightly touch her udder...evil looks but no kicking or biting!)To me it looks like any time, but from others' perspective I don't know. To think I was worried she was going to have a baby months ago! I was so wrong!).20210407_172009.jpg20210407_182553.jpg20210407_182629.jpg20210407_182643.jpg

Oh my goodness! So excited to see this little one! Thank you!

Reactions: Taz
Hi. Sorry, have been remiss in putting pics up for a bit. Here are some from last evening. She is doing well, but is uncomfortable. Poor girl! She took elongation back yesterday and has only minimal udder going, but udder no longer is of too much concern. When I can see it in person it is plenty big enough and I suspect will continue to fill as time gets closer or she foals (was worried about effect of acorn toxicity). From the front she barely looks pregnant, but she is HUGE! Luckily her mood has improved drastically and she comes over to me for affection when I get home from work and is now letting me touch her more (even got to lightly touch her udder...evil looks but no kicking or biting!)To me it looks like any time, but from others' perspective I don't know. To think I was worried she was going to have a baby months ago! I was so wrong!).

Happy to know she is doing good ! It sure looks like she is building her udder ! I sure hope she gets more tolerant with you about that. Then you could test the milk... It would give you a better idea.

Oh! I can't wait to see all of this year's foals and fillies! 😊

Latest posts

Back