My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pitter Patter BREATHE :):):)

So we can help, when you are able too, try and grab some pics of snickers where you are looking at her rear end. This is the best angle to see how the foal is currently positioned. Many many mares do not bag up before foaling, this is just to ensure their owners are going more nutty. There was a reason this place was named the "Nutty Nursery" Many years ago.

Regarding her becoming more friendly - A change in personality is a good sign she's making progress.

Very excited for you, with the year you had last year, this little bundle of joy is going to be amazing :)

I don't have any kids but I think this would be SO much more fun. It's like being a grandparent, you give them back whenever you want 😂. I don't know how your paddocks are set up, is there any way to run a cable from the house to your shed? Would a video baby monitor cover enough distance? I think we went through this last summer but I can't remember. I would start putting her in at night pretty soon. You want her completely relaxed about it before she foals. Having Volt in there with her might help with that, if he's still in at night. Welcome to the 'I'm going insane waiting for this foal' club. Remember, it's worth all the lost sleep and worry when you see that little one running around.
I hope to have enough time this weekend to again try to figure out how to monitor out there. Very frustrating. I think it is too far for baby monitors but will be on the lookout for one that could work. Already wasted so much money on a camera system I can't use apparently. Otherwise I will be prowling about outside every night! The shed is always open. There's a doorway, but the actual door rotted so we removed it (it was open all the time anyway). The "convalescent stall" is now left open so any of them could check it out if they wanted. The only issue with this system is the chickens absolutely love it! Found some eggs in there last night tucked away in a corner. They seem to like the minis and maybe feel safer from predators. (our dogs don't dare go there!). Will likely be evicting the nest tonight. Volt is stronger and comes and goes as he pleases so probably won't be needing the stall (thank God!). Snickers' belly is round and getting bigger daily, I swear! I can't tell if she is loose in the tail or if she is just getting used to my poking around to check her. Vulva hasn't elongated yet. Still not much of an udder. Baby seems big and is quite the squiggly little thing! Snickers' is more impatient with the other horses, but better with me now. Just a waiting game now...

I hear you about the camera, it was a nightmare getting mine up and going last year. How far from your house to the shed? I've found some baby monitors on amazon that say they will do 1000ft. Might be worth a try, you can open and try and return if it doesn't work, amazon takes everything back;).
Chickens nesting in the shed! 🤣🤣🤣🤣.
You might find Snickers feels different about being shut into the shed than going in when it's her choice, I'd give it a try and make sure you can close her in and she's happy. If she's not you can put someone with her and/or work on it for short periods of time until you want her in at night. I know someone who had her outdoor pony in at night on camera waiting for a foal. The mare didn't show any signs of labor but went out and foaled in a snowstorm 10min after being let out in the morning. They caught it and carried the foal in and all fine but the mare wasn't relaxed inside.
When her tail gets loose it will feel like you're not lifting anything. If she's letting you move it there will still be a bit of muscle tension, feels like a bit of weight but not resistance. I don't think I can describe it better than that. You could try picking it up then moving it side to side gently, if it's not loose she will probably take it away.
Oh the waiting.......it makes you nuts very fast and only gets worse.🤪

Agree with Taz. Bring her in at night now, so she's used to it. A high probability that she'll foal at night.
Last night was her first night inside. She wasn't terribly happy and snorted about it a couple of times but then settled in. She got fed in there so it's hopefully a bit more positive. I let her out this morning and she actually wanted attention (not normal!). In fact she was so at ease this morning that Patches and her got scratches at the same time (mortal enemies those two are!). I hadn't been able to catch and hold onto Patches for a long time and she let me slowly put on halter and take off her blanket this morning. Volt is still very thin no matter how much he eats. How long does it take to put on even a little bit of weight? He's stronger but still not quite where I want him to be. Am I right in thinking it seems to take horses FOREVER to show any changes? (That goes for weight and pregnancy!) Snickers isn't clamping her tail down and this morning looked a little more slab sided. Thanks for the warning Taz! Now I won't let her out in the morning if weather is bad and I can't watch her close!

If he's getting stronger and has more energy you're going the right way. That always comes before they look better. I find it normally goes along for a while looking like they're not putting any on then it seems like they do in a day.
If Snickers change in attitude is an indicator it sounds like it shouldn't be too long. Of course I'm pretty safe saying that since she can't be more than a few more weeks at most. Hahahaha!!

Yes, that's all that really matters. Do you still some ideas for names or are you waiting to see what the little monster looks like?
Hi Taz. I have a few names I'm rolling about in my head, but I think I need to see what baby looks like as well. Snickers isn't helpful on the name front either! That little bugger is constantly on the move it seems. Today I was trying to clean up the horrible paddock mess (ice, snow, poop) and Snickers laid right down near me and went to sleep in the sun (it's still only 35 F here right now). I think her vulva has elongated as there are no longer any "puckers" (if that makes any sense). Still hardly any udder but when I was able to see her under carriage at nap time (instead of through pictures), the teets look large enough and bigger than I thought they were! Wondering if it's from the acorns or just her thing not to bag up before baby arrives. Oh! I finally have a working camera thanks to my son! I feel a little better with that. Now I am hoping she has it tonight or waits until next weekend. My boyfriend has knee surgery on Tuesday so hopefully it's not then! Snickers has been almost cuddly with me the last couple of days (highly unusual). Volt is getting stronger by the day. Now I hear his hip "popping" when he walks but he doesn't seem uncomfortable. Something to watch. Wonder if the girls kicked him. All blankets are off of everyone except the goat now. Snickers is shedding something terrible right now. So now we just wait....(and wait.....)

It's getting real now! Have you started foal watch? You will get used to being sleep deprived, haha. I'm really hoping she holds on till it's a bit warmer. That might be Volt's stifle not his hip. With him getting so down in his condition it would make sense to me, they make a nasty pop/clunk sound sometimes. If you are around when he's walking really slowly like when they graze one step at a time you will see him straighten that leg and hear the pop right as the stifle straightens. It sounds nasty but is not painful are harmful and normally goes away as they fit up. I know your busy but please keep us posted.

Welcome back from lurking Jodie ;)

It's getting real now! Have you started foal watch? You will get used to being sleep deprived, haha. I'm really hoping she holds on till it's a bit warmer. That might be Volt's stifle not his hip. With him getting so down in his condition it would make sense to me, they make a nasty pop/clunk sound sometimes. If you are around when he's walking really slowly like when they graze one step at a time you will see him straighten that leg and hear the pop right as the stifle straightens. It sounds nasty but is not painful are harmful and normally goes away as they fit up. I know your busy but please keep us posted.

Welcome back from lurking Jodie ;)
I have started now that I have a camera set up. Letting her out with the others during daytime hours and then back in at night. Was up and down all night, but at least didn't have to go outside to check on her! My phone vibrates anytime there is movement. My son worked so hard yesterday at getting the camera operational and we now have an ethernet cable and power extension cord from the house. Looks like metal in the shed really hampers the signal from the house. So now we have cords from the house all the way to the shed, which will be a problem if we get more snow and have to plow. I hope that's all that's wrong with Volt.

That's a fancy camera you have if it alerts you to movement. It's great in that you probably won't miss anything but I have a feeling you're already on 1/2 hour checks, you're going to get no rest. Is there any way to let some of us watch the camera to help you? I'm not techy at all, your son might know. I'm hoping that's all that's wrong with Volt, he's had enough to deal with. You could try putting your hand on top of his quarters and gently rocking him to the side when he's standing. That might make him pop his stifle and you could see it when you hear it. It won't hurt him.

Jodie, thanks for the vote of confidence that Izzy might be in foal. I'm crossing my fingers but not holding my breathe. Oh the pony parts, you don't want to wrong person to get hold of your phone.....

I have started now that I have a camera set up. Letting her out with the others during daytime hours and then back in at night. Was up and down all night, but at least didn't have to go outside to check on her! My phone vibrates anytime there is movement. My son worked so hard yesterday at getting the camera operational and we now have an ethernet cable and power extension cord from the house. Looks like metal in the shed really hampers the signal from the house. So now we have cords from the house all the way to the shed, which will be a problem if we get more snow and have to plow. I hope that's all that's wrong with Volt.

I'm excited for you ! And I also hope you will have nice weather when that foal comes !

That's a fancy camera you have if it alerts you to movement. It's great in that you probably won't miss anything but I have a feeling you're already on 1/2 hour checks, you're going to get no rest. Is there any way to let some of us watch the camera to help you? I'm not techy at all, your son might know. I'm hoping that's all that's wrong with Volt, he's had enough to deal with. You could try putting your hand on top of his quarters and gently rocking him to the side when he's standing. That might make him pop his stifle and you could see it when you hear it. It won't hurt him.

Jodie, thanks for the vote of confidence that Izzy might be in foal. I'm crossing my fingers but not holding my breathe. Oh the pony parts, you don't want to wrong person to get hold of your phone.....
Hi Taz! Yes, you can watch and I will send you instructions by personal message. It's called "Personal Defender" and is actually a home monitoring system but it also has night vision. It would require you to download the free app on your phone or computer and then I think with the password and username you should be able to jump on....There is an area directly under the camera we can't catch but it has food and water there and she probably won't lie down there anyway. I still think I may miss the actual event though but at least she has a safe place in case. I will try the rocking method you mentioned on Volt.

Hi Taz! Yes, you can watch and I will send you instructions by personal message. It's called "Personal Defender" and is actually a home monitoring system but it also has night vision. It would require you to download the free app on your phone or computer and then I think with the password and username you should be able to jump on....There is an area directly under the camera we can't catch but it has food and water there and she probably won't lie down there anyway. I still think I may miss the actual event though but at least she has a safe place in case. I will try the rocking method you mentioned on Volt.
Oops...It's called "Defender Guard" NOT "Personal Defender".

That's great, thanks. If I can't watch mine I might as well watch yours, maybe it will help you 😊. There might be a few of us who can if you want. I had a spot I couldn't see last summer with Tilly, she would lie down there regularly, of course, but she foaled farther out so was on camera for it. Just noticed your llama, how cute, they have lots of personality don't they? I always thought I'd like a couple but have enough of a zoo already.

Latest posts

Back