My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the foal is leaning to the left. LOL. If she's had a foal before and her bag isn't filling yet, she still has a ways to go. She'd probably start bagging up within her last 2 weeks. Plus, in those last few days of pregnancy (sometimes it can be within HOURS) the foal will drop down under her belly as it goes into foaling position.

That's all wonderful! I agree Snickers doesn't look ready yet, BUT not to panic you, that doesn't mean it can't happen. Yup, as you know I prepare early and expect(OK freak out about) the worst. Hope you don't mind me being a worry wort 'aunt'. Do you have a couple good dog coats? Can you get a camera set up in your run in? Any chance of her spending nights in the other side of the run in just in case? I don't know how your weathers doing there but spring is just trying here, it's still way too cold for a newborn here especially with wind, snow,mud etc. OK, I've said it, now I'll leave it alone, or try to, haha. I know you will look after them but in case you didn't get it yet.....I WORRY!

That's all wonderful! I agree Snickers doesn't look ready yet, BUT not to panic you, that doesn't mean it can't happen. Yup, as you know I prepare early and expect(OK freak out about) the worst. Hope you don't mind me being a worry wort 'aunt'. Do you have a couple good dog coats? Can you get a camera set up in your run in? Any chance of her spending nights in the other side of the run in just in case? I don't know how your weathers doing there but spring is just trying here, it's still way too cold for a newborn here especially with wind, snow,mud etc. OK, I've said it, now I'll leave it alone, or try to, haha. I know you will look after them but in case you didn't get it yet.....I WORRY!
Oh Taz! I am glad you worry! Glad to know I am not the only one! She can go in the other side of the shed at any time. Trying to time it right so Volt gets stronger before baby comes. She will then get his "convalescent stall" (which is half the shed). That stall is bigger than my bedroom :) Unfortunately water is becoming a problem this year. Thaw, rain, more snow....ugh, there's water and frozen water all over! Volt was still standing when I went to feed this morning. After he ate I let his gate open so he could come and go as he pleases, at least today. The sunshine does him good. I have three different foal blankets (they're so tiny and cute!). I got different sizes because I don't know what size the little one will be. Crossing my fingers for May (April is still too early here in my opinion!). We still a good snow storm every April.

I'm so glad my fussing doesn't bother you 😄. Did you actually find mini foal blankets or do you have dog blankets? It's hard to believe but the little bigger really will fit them. Do you remember when you put Volt in with the girls last year? A May baby would be perfect! I had one in March and it went fine but was cold, I don't think he spent a whole day out until April. I hear you about the 'water'! We had more rain last night and ice everywhere this morning, Temps dropping today and back to a deep freeze tonight. Here's hoping for an early spring for everyone!!

Stop worrying about messing up, I can't even figure out how to get pictures posted from my phone, I got through this whole complicated thing every time to post one. She looks like she's hanging low but not v'd to me but I don't have anything to compare it to, has she dropped at all? Let's hope she's following the rules, neither of mine did 😂. How's Volt doing?

Stop worrying about messing up, I can't even figure out how to get pictures posted from my phone, I got through this whole complicated thing every time to post one. She looks like she's hanging low but not v'd to me but I don't have anything to compare it to, has she dropped at all? Let's hope she's following the rules, neither of mine did 😂. How's Volt doing?
Thanks for the picture encouragement! LOL. Volt is doing much better and getting stronger every day. Getting back to being a bit sassy again so I'm happy! He still has a way to go and needs more weight but he's getting there slowly. He's such a picky little thing and just nibbles away while the girls tend to shovel it in as fast as possible! Snickers' foal keeps repositioning itself. Last night it belly was hanging pretty low. Looked like it "V"'d but this morning she was back up high again. I THINK there's still time. Considering I have spent a year already worried about whether or not she was pregnant, I can wait some more (want some warm weather!).

Tilly did that to me last year. She would look low and like she was V'd then the next day, or time I looked at her she would be 'round' again. I think you win the prize for how long you've been waiting for this little monster 😂. It would be wonderful if she would hang on for another month or two. So happy about Volt!!!!!

Glad to hear Volt is continuing to improve :)

Keep looking at her from behind, its the best indication to see how the foal is "riding". Once you can no longer see the sides of her stomach sticking out anymore, the foal has changed positions and is this is usually the time to start watching like a hawk :)

Snickers is getting closer...Last night she had difficulty clamping her tail down when I checked her. Flanks have hollowed and baby is riding lower now. No further changes in udder, and still not knowing how or even IF the acorn fiasco is going to affect her bagging up. Her back end has not elongated yet. No "jello butt" as of yet. So far, instead of getting crankier she is actually seeking my attention now! She is shedding horribly now. Between the shedding and baby, she is rubbing on things so much she has a few bald patches. Still can't get cameras to work due to internet and distance of shed from house. May have to try putting signal extender somewhere in the middle of the yard with an extension cord. My kids think I'm crazy and it won't work, but I can't live with her outside 24/7 so something's gotta give or I won't get any sleep at all and this could go on for a very long time. Also, a new concern entered my mind while commuting to work today--I now have Patches who is blind in one eye, super reactive and will run over anything or anyone in her path when she does spook. Now thinking this is terrible for a new baby! (and Patches is a pony, not even sure if she qualifies as miniature). May have to move her in with my boys who are all gelded (13 H pony, 300# goat, and two male llamas). The goat and the pony are likely to give her grief though. They were horrible with Volt until he'd had enough of the goat's bullying behaviors and they got into a pretty heated 'match" one day. (Goat is about double the size of Volt). Goat never bothered him again!

BREATHE..... 😊
I don't think you need to worry about Patches. Snickers will be keeping the baby close in the beginning and even if he/she does get run over he/she will learn to move after that. They are very quick to get good on their legs and they seem to be pretty tough. Tilly is blind in one eye and does a great job managing it but Fin's been knocked into a few times without a problem. He really doesn't move, his theory on life seams to be the same as his dad, ignore it and it will go away. I've kept my babies next to the herd for a couple of weeks to be safe. If you can I would keep them in the shed and a small area around the entrance. I use a walkway next to the paddock and close the ends off with orange plastic snow fencing propped up by plastic step in posts.
How far is your shed from the house? Do you have electricity in the shed? There will be a solution that will work better than putting her in your basement at night.
Sounds like Snickers is getting there....finally. I think even your vet can give her a shot to help get her milk in if it's needed. You have powdered colostrum to feed in the beginning while you track some down, there must be a vet or breeder close enough that you can get some, it doesn't take very much. Worry about that if/when it happens. My first foal didn't get any until he was about 4 hours when the mares milk came in. I called everyone and couldn't find any, ran to the vets for milk replacer and a tube of whatever it is you give the mare to get them going, got home and he had had a big drink and was fast asleep. Poor Snickers being uncomfortable and itchy from shedding. It's great she's getting friendlier instead of crankier, you might be able to get some good hands on time with the munchkin the first day, it really helps to be part of their world right from the beginning.

BREATHE..... 😊
I don't think you need to worry about Patches. Snickers will be keeping the baby close in the beginning and even if he/she does get run over he/she will learn to move after that. They are very quick to get good on their legs and they seem to be pretty tough. Tilly is blind in one eye and does a great job managing it but Fin's been knocked into a few times without a problem. He really doesn't move, his theory on life seams to be the same as his dad, ignore it and it will go away. I've kept my babies next to the herd for a couple of weeks to be safe. If you can I would keep them in the shed and a small area around the entrance. I use a walkway next to the paddock and close the ends off with orange plastic snow fencing propped up by plastic step in posts.
How far is your shed from the house? Do you have electricity in the shed? There will be a solution that will work better than putting her in your basement at night.
Sounds like Snickers is getting there....finally. I think even your vet can give her a shot to help get her milk in if it's needed. You have powdered colostrum to feed in the beginning while you track some down, there must be a vet or breeder close enough that you can get some, it doesn't take very much. Worry about that if/when it happens. My first foal didn't get any until he was about 4 hours when the mares milk came in. I called everyone and couldn't find any, ran to the vets for milk replacer and a tube of whatever it is you give the mare to get them going, got home and he had had a big drink and was fast asleep. Poor Snickers being uncomfortable and itchy from shedding. It's great she's getting friendlier instead of crankier, you might be able to get some good hands on time with the munchkin the first day, it really helps to be part of their world right from the beginning.
Taz, thank you very much for calming my nerves! Don't worry. I wouldn't even think of taking Snickers anywhere near the house! She wouldn't handle it well. Not even so sure about Volt now as he has gotten much stronger and more opinionated (although it worked well when he was down). When do you think I should start stalling her at night? Sure wish I still had my virgin milker goat--at least it would be something. (I always donated her milk to an orphan deer rescue as goat milk is more digestible for most animals. They were thrilled because the deer really like it and did well with it.) But she's gone now. I am so excited/nervous/scared. It's only now fully becoming real and it's my first one. Yikes! Oh I will definitely be hands on as much as Snickers will allow! That baby is almost constantly moving and kicking and is quite visible. Cannot wait to meet this little one! I think I am more excited about this than having my own kids, but then again, I'm not the one faced with pain and discomfort! LOL.

I don't have any kids but I think this would be SO much more fun. It's like being a grandparent, you give them back whenever you want 😂. I don't know how your paddocks are set up, is there any way to run a cable from the house to your shed? Would a video baby monitor cover enough distance? I think we went through this last summer but I can't remember. I would start putting her in at night pretty soon. You want her completely relaxed about it before she foals. Having Volt in there with her might help with that, if he's still in at night. Welcome to the 'I'm going insane waiting for this foal' club. Remember, it's worth all the lost sleep and worry when you see that little one running around.

Latest posts

Back