My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone! She is settling in nicely. Her poops are much more normal.

How's your little pinto mare progressing Pitter Patter ? :)
It sure is a very slow process! Still not sure when she will deliver. Hoping it's not in February (the hardest time during our winters here). When she has it (IF she ever has it..) will pretty much determine if the foal is from the previous owner's stud or my own little guy. Udder is just a bit more developed. They are all pretty hairy now with winter coats so hard to really watch but haven't seen much movement though and that worries me. I lost my sweet little Cottontail a little bit ago due to acorn toxicity and hoping it didn't also affect Snicker's foal. Worries me a lot. In the meantime, I am such a sap for ponies that need a home! I just picked up a pony that is blind in one eye and was very skittish.(blind from injury). She was left feral for a few years without shelter and proper care then someone here in Michigan bought her and decided they didn't want her. Not exactly a mini (about 48" but can only guestimate because she is terrified of measuring sticks, measuring tape, and even string. She used to come only to grain before but follows me everywhere. I'm in love (but the mini's are not unfortunately). Thinking we really have to do something to separate Snickers from Patches before baby comes! Anyway, here is my new girl!

Attachments

• 20201210_173203.jpg
    20201210_173203.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 5
It sure is a very slow process! Still not sure when she will deliver. Hoping it's not in February (the hardest time during our winters here). When she has it (IF she ever has it..) will pretty much determine if the foal is from the previous owner's stud or my own little guy. Udder is just a bit more developed. They are all pretty hairy now with winter coats so hard to really watch but haven't seen much movement though and that worries me. I lost my sweet little Cottontail a little bit ago due to acorn toxicity and hoping it didn't also affect Snicker's foal. Worries me a lot. In the meantime, I am such a sap for ponies that need a home! I just picked up a pony that is blind in one eye and was very skittish.(blind from injury). She was left feral for a few years without shelter and proper care then someone here in Michigan bought her and decided they didn't want her. Not exactly a mini (about 48" but can only guestimate because she is terrified of measuring sticks, measuring tape, and even string. She used to come only to grain before but follows me everywhere. I'm in love (but the mini's are not unfortunately). Thinking we really have to do something to separate Snickers from Patches before baby comes! Anyway, here is my new girl!
How long did you keep them separate? We got our second mini back on Nov. 22nd and she is more bossy/nippy than Squirt and we tried to put them together for like 5min. but they were kicking and squealing.

How long did you keep them separate? We got our second mini back on Nov. 22nd and she is more bossy/nippy than Squirt and we tried to put them together for like 5min. but they were kicking and squealing.
I really didn't. They got to smell each other on opposite sides of the fence for some time. Brought lead mare out to meet face to face with distance. That was "OK" but since I don't have a good way to fully separate (and I thought my gelding, who is bigger and in adjoining paddock, might like her but he bit at her through the fence), I brought her in on halter and lead rope. She is quite a bit bigger than my others. I was really nervous for her at first, but she puts up with nothing! In fact, they are now a bit leary of her. Snickers still keeps her ears back and they sometimes squeal at each other or half heartedly kick but it's over quick. If someone is aggressive when I am in there they are made to move their feet...a lot! Otherwise I let them work it out. My little stallion seems to be a great equalizer. He has interfered in their tiffs and they go back to whatever they were doing like eating. Not sure what they do when I'm not there and don't have cameras set up yet, but no injuries and they don't seem scared of each other but they do watch each other. Previous owner agreed he would take her back if it didn't work out but his plan was to take her to auction for meat because of the blindness and timidness. I can't imagine she would have been bought by anyone else at auction because she is very easily spooked and terrified. It will work out though. I'm determined and love all of them! I think I got very lucky. I did have a back up plan just in case but it's not great...I have a large fenced area for my dogs to play and could always temporarily put someone there if a cooling off period is needed. So far haven't had to do it though. I also have another option of moving my critters around as needed between two adjoining paddocks and all the animals can see one another.I tell the minis if they don't behave they will get a new roommate who WILL take over! (Very big goat wether who is pretty sure he's the boss and even scares the dogs!) Can't wait to get a barn built! MerMaeve, I think most animals will have an adjustment period and usually work things out. I thought Snickers and Pepper had the horse world record for nastiness with others, but I think Patches is much more defensive and let's them know she's ready to fight if that's what they want. Truthfully, all they really want is to just eat! Just don't give up. You will find a way to make it work. I really have very little experience in equines and my whole life was spent with dogs and am just pretty much going by my gut (which might not be right, I don't know). I have a feeling you are more experienced with horses--think positively and let them feel your leadership) I think I go in with firm thinking it will work (no matter how scared I am) because it has to and I made it known to them immediately I won't tolerate their nastiness to anyone. At least that's what I hope they get from me! Give it time. I am sure others here have some thoughts and ideas too! Keep us posted on how it goes!

It sounds like Patches is being mostly defensive, it's hard for her moving into their space. As long as no one got hurt they are going to work it out. What seems aggressive to us isn't always to them. I wouldn't separate them unless it gets bad, you would be starting all over again if you put them back together.
I've just started putting my minis into a group and it looked and sounded awful a few times the first day. I had them side by side for a while and they all live close and know each other from sight and smell. Put Spirit(16yr old gelded in April) with Joey(5 yr old gelding) and Ollie (2 yr old gelded in Oct) together. Spirit is the boss of all of them but went in and was very low key but Joey wanted him to give so there was a lot of squealing. It settled down quickly and Spirit and Ollie started playing then Joey decided that wasn't happening and went over and grabbed Spirit by his neck and wouldn't let go. I grabbed a lead and went to split them but Spirit decided enough was enough and gave him a few kicks. They went back and forth for a bit with Joey learning he was #2 and to be respectful. No blood, no marks, no one lame, more show than anything. They were standing in a group at the gate last night waiting to come in. It took 3 days for them to get that comfortable with each other so now I'm deciding how and when to get the girls and Finn in,. Probably intro with Ollie first to make sure Finn doesn't get overwhelmed but both girls are VERY good at sticking up for themselves and it's only Finn's mom who hasn't been with Joey and Ollie's the others kid so not expecting anything much more than some squealing and maybe one of the geldings getting a kick to get some manners. Finn's not weaned so he has lots of protection and support if he wants/needs it.
MerMaeve, if your girls have been sharing a fence and getting along I'd put them in together again with hay spread out everywhere. It's normal for there to be a discussion about who's in charge. Put the more dominant into the paddock of the less dominant so she has home court advantage. It can look and sound bad but normally is just show. You could just keep them side by side though, they'd still have company and be happy. Normally the longer they are side by side the less issues when they finally go in together. It's never fun introducing horses.....

Last edited:
We tried putting them together this afternoon before it gets cold and slipperier, and before the rain hits tonight.
We gave them each a small pile of hay on opposite sides of the barn then left both gates open. Diva got done eating first and went over by Mom in the barn, Squirt took longer to finish her hay then headed over to go in the barn....Diva noticed her tried to bite and tried to kick her but Squirt got out of the way (back in to the pasture) and Diva hit 100% fence. Thank goodness! Diva then followed Squirt into the pasture but then got distracted eating Squirt's hay scraps and Squirt ducked behind out of the pasture to over by Mom, who quickly shut the gate.
We decided to call it quits there, but we were happy there was no squealing and only one kick.

We just don't want them to get hurt, especially Squirt because she is smaller and calmer/less dominate.

It sounds like Diva lives up to her name 🤣. If she's acting like that, sounds like she means it not just doing it for show, I wouldn't try it again with them for a while. Are they in stalls at night? Can they see over the divider? I wouldn't worry about it as long as they're both happy the way it is. Whenever the weather's good you and your mom can take them for some walks away from where they hang out and work with them near each other. Anything you can think of to get them close without touching. If they're not out together you might not have the problem of them bonding and being upset if/when you take Diva to shows, so it might actually be a good thing.

It sounds like Diva lives up to her name 🤣. If she's acting like that, sounds like she means it not just doing it for show, I wouldn't try it again with them for a while. Are they in stalls at night? Can they see over the divider? I wouldn't worry about it as long as they're both happy the way it is. Whenever the weather's good you and your mom can take them for some walks away from where they hang out and work with them near each other. Anything you can think of to get them close without touching. If they're not out together you might not have the problem of them bonding and being upset if/when you take Diva to shows, so it might actually be a good thing.
Right?? We stall Diva at night but not Squirt.

Last edited:
It sounds like Patches is being mostly defensive, it's hard for her moving into their space. As long as no one got hurt they are going to work it out. What seems aggressive to us isn't always to them. I wouldn't separate them unless it gets bad, you would be starting all over again if you put them back together.
I've just started putting my minis into a group and it looked and sounded awful a few times the first day. I had them side by side for a while and they all live close and know each other from sight and smell. Put Spirit(16yr old gelded in April) with Joey(5 yr old gelding) and Ollie (2 yr old gelded in Oct) together. Spirit is the boss of all of them but went in and was very low key but Joey wanted him to give so there was a lot of squealing. It settled down quickly and Spirit and Ollie started playing then Joey decided that wasn't happening and went over and grabbed Spirit by his neck and wouldn't let go. I grabbed a lead and went to split them but Spirit decided enough was enough and gave him a few kicks. They went back and forth for a bit with Joey learning he was #2 and to be respectful. No blood, no marks, no one lame, more show than anything. They were standing in a group at the gate last night waiting to come in. It took 3 days for them to get that comfortable with each other so now I'm deciding how and when to get the girls and Finn in,. Probably intro with Ollie first to make sure Finn doesn't get overwhelmed but both girls are VERY good at sticking up for themselves and it's only Finn's mom who hasn't been with Joey and Ollie's the others kid so not expecting anything much more than some squealing and maybe one of the geldings getting a kick to get some manners. Finn's not weaned so he has lots of protection and support if he wants/needs it.
MerMaeve, if your girls have been sharing a fence and getting along I'd put them in together again with hay spread out everywhere. It's normal for there to be a discussion about who's in charge. Put the more dominant into the paddock of the less dominant so she has home court advantage. It can look and sound bad but normally is just show. You could just keep them side by side though, they'd still have company and be happy. Normally the longer they are side by side the less issues when they finally go in together. It's never fun introducing horses.....
All is well tonight with mine :) Went to blanket everyone, especially Patches because they make her stand outside the shed even though there is tons of room. (Expecting a lot of heavy, wet snow tonight and tomorrow.)My Welsh gelding likes to destroy blankets (his and everyone else's!). Usually blanketing the minis is a horrible chore, with arguing, running away, etc. but they were good. I did Patches first since she would need it the most tonight. She was terrified but we took it slow, showed her everything. She is amazing..she was scared, no doubt, but totally trusted and let me do it without kicking or anything. I don't think she's ever had one and having something foreign on her was hard for her. It probably didn't help I changed her blankets 3 times! But she was a trooper! I then did everyone else. I think I must've been the common "enemy" at least temporarily because they were all eating out of the feeder together tonight! 🐴 😁

It might help them bond if they are both in next to each other at night, especially if they can touch noses. Just a thought....
Diva is confusing though, they can be butt to butt with a gate between them one minute, and the five minutes later Diva will try to bite her through the fence.

They can be frustrating that's for sure. They communicate so much more than we are aware of, there's no telling what's really going on between them. Keep them next to each other and they will work it out eventually. The best intros I've had were when I couldn't put them together for some reason and they were side by side for at least a month, they went in like they'd been living together for ever.

It sure is a slow process, hopefully she hold on until things start to warm up for you. It becomes a little harder to see the development with the thick winter coat.

Your new girl is lovely Pitter Patter, you sound like me, Id rescue every horse If I possibly could :)

Mermaeve, I have a "Squirt" and I also have a "Diva". My squirt is an 11yo 26inch stud ( hes tiny) and My Diva is 16.2 and just tested 45 days pregnant :)

Latest posts

Back