My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, just a note to say my heart is happy! Yesterday evening. I went outside for something. Looked up and saw four minis loose! My boyfriend just groaned and said Oh no......I have had my bigger horse and Volt take off before and it's usually an all day process wrought with worry, stress, trying to block them from the road, etc. I started to walked very slowly and talked to them softly. Didn't even have a rope with me at first. My old girl, Cottontail, came running right up to me and acted so happy to see me. I couldn't believe it. Managed to get leads and some grain with her right behind/beside me the whole time! Only had to slip the rope around 2 but nobody resisted at all. Then boyfriend says, "Well, now I know why you spend so much time with them." HAHA 😁 It really is all about the relationship, isn't it?

That's amazing! Yes, it really is all about the relationship :D
How are your girls doing? Any more changes?

That's amazing! Yes, it really is all about the relationship :D
How are your girls doing? Any more changes?
Well, If anything Snickers looks less pregnant, Pepper more (but vet says not pregnant) and little Cottontail's udder fills and shrinks and vet didn't think she was pregnant either. I know Snickers is for sure, just wish I knew when so I could guess at time to take from work! How is your little one doing?

I spent all day yesterday at my very first HS Equestrian meet. Out of 7 classes I placed in 5! Super happy with how I did, seeing as I have been riding less than two years. :) (And in placed I mean 7th or higher) I'm still tired today!

I spent all day yesterday at my very first HS Equestrian meet. Out of 7 classes I placed in 5! Super happy with how I did, seeing as I have been riding less than two years. :) (And in placed I mean 7th or higher) I'm still tired today!
Congratulations!!!!

Well, If anything Snickers looks less pregnant, Pepper more (but vet says not pregnant) and little Cottontail's udder fills and shrinks and vet didn't think she was pregnant either. I know Snickers is for sure, just wish I knew when so I could guess at time to take from work! How is your little one doing?
Are you able to take time off work without lots of notice? I wouldn't plan anything with her until she looks like she can't cross her legs any longer. 🤪
Ugh! You're girls need to make up their minds and stick to it!

Congratulations!!!!

Are you able to take time off work without lots of notice? I wouldn't plan anything with her until she looks like she can't cross her legs any longer. 🤪
Getting a day off might be tricky, but hopefully it all works out! Last night there were just slight changes in Snickers udder. Pepper's udder is a little swollen and so is Cottontail's. IF Cottontail is even pregnant, she didn't come to me that way pretty sure, so I've got some time there. Pepper refuses to pee for me still. Trying not to sweat it and take it day by day. I just keep an eye on them....

Congratulations!!!!

Since Pepper won't pee for me I tested Cottontail. Big negative..whew! Now if Ms Elusive ever decides to cooperate! Pretty sure all my animals think I'm a pervert by now!LOL

That's great! You don't have to worry about her anymore. Do they keep giving you the "Do I have to worry about you?" look? Mine are really good at it 😂

Here is my mini "herd" with a friends' kids. There was a young man too, but he bolted when he saw the camera! We just returned from about a 4 mile walk and everyone did great! (kids were good too!).In order from left to right, horses are Cottontail, Volt, Pepper, and Snickers. Snickers is definitely pregnant, but probably no one else (Although the other two have given me plenty of false alarms!). They are all starting to get winter fuzzies! (Seems like they finally shedded out for the summer and already thinking of winter!--ugh!)20200829_140532.jpg

OK. I know I wasn't going to take any more pictures for a while because of all the stress when the only pregnant one is still of a ways to foaling (I think?!) So tonight I didn't get to spend much time with the minis because of the rain, but I did manage to get a few pics....AHHH!! These little girls are going to send me to the loony bin, no doubt! Snickers' udder is doing pretty much nothing (and she's the pregnant one!). Pepper is up and down all over the place. BUT Cottontail...Her udder is bigger than I have ever seen it...WHY?! So, what do you more experienced people make of all this? I am wondering if Cottontail is just a couple of months along, if at all. Vet didn't think so but I didn't allow him to palpate her due to size and age. Pepper's belly just keeps getting bigger and I was told she was just fat (well, she is that!). I am not sure which order the pics will upload but there should be two udder pics, both of Cottontail, One of them was taken a few days ago and the next one is tonight. She normally has a very deflated, hanging teets. Even the one before is much bigger than her norm. The back end pic is of Pepper..Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Attachments

• 20200904_185958.jpg
    20200904_185958.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200908_185934.jpg
    20200908_185934.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200908_185759.jpg
    20200908_185759.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 5
What is she eating?
Grass hay and occasionally Mare and Foal pelleted feed. I give all the girls some to prepare them for pregnancy just in case since I already have one that is. It wouldn't have any hormones in it, would it? It's a before pregnancy, during, and after feed. She doesn't get it daily though. She also needs some more healthy weight on her. Should I stop feeding her this? The bag doesn't say anything about hormones but it is higher in protein.

Grass hay and occasionally Mare and Foal pelleted feed. I give all the girls some to prepare them for pregnancy just in case since I already have one that is. It wouldn't have any hormones in it, would it? It's a before pregnancy, during, and after feed. She doesn't get it daily though. She also needs some more healthy weight on her. Should I stop feeding her this? The bag doesn't say anything about hormones but it is higher in protein.

No I don’t think it would. I’m sure it’s fine to continue feeding. Alfalfa can cause a bit of an udder. There are several types of forage that do as well but doesn’t sound like she’s getting any of that. Unless she was very end term she should not have a pregnancy udder. Could be hormones? Sometimes they build an udder simply when they gain weight. If she’s early term and building an udder with milk that’s cause for concern.

Hi everyone, haven’t updated in a while as there really has been nothing to update! I decided that the vet made a mistake and Rosie is faking so I turned her out with the others. Then my farrier came out last week, looks at Rosie and says “Oh NOW she looks pregnant!” 😳🤦‍♀️ Honestly at this stage in the game I really hope she’s not.

OK. I can't resist taking pictures! I think I just need to know if I am losing my mind or not.... So, Pepper has me perplexed...and yes, I think she is a bit on the chubby side! But she is getting bigger and bigger....ugh! Reduced feed just a bit. Everyone lost weight BUT her....So if anyone has any thoughts.....Vet says not pregnant.....I still don't know if I trust that or not.......Hopefully they load as intended. First pic was taken Aug 21. Next is Sept 8, third is from todayScreenshot_20200916-173816_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200916-173459_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200916-173338_Gallery.jpg.

OK. I can't resist taking pictures! I think I just need to know if I am losing my mind or not.... So, Pepper has me perplexed...and yes, I think she is a bit on the chubby side! But she is getting bigger and bigger....ugh! Reduced feed just a bit. Everyone lost weight BUT her....So if anyone has any thoughts.....Vet says not pregnant.....I still don't know if I trust that or not.......Hopefully they load as intended. First pic was taken Aug 21. Next is Sept 8, third is from todayView attachment 42274View attachment 42275View attachment 42276.
Maybe a false pregnancy? She would have aborted early term but retained a bit of tissue and her hormones are still telling her she's pregnant and will look like it. I'm not sure if it goes away on it's own or if she needs a vet or if you even need to do anything about it. That would make sense for why the vet didn't feel anything but she looks like that.

Latest posts

Back