My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took this yesterday morning. It's not a close up but he's out with mom, dad, and aunt Izzy learning to be a horse. He is more than double the size he was when he was born and has the cutest habit of coming over for a rub and scratch and laying down in your lap or on your feet for a belly rub!
IMG_20200814_111552.jpg

So I have been going back and looking at photos. Snickers did seem pregnant right after I got her and before she met my little guy "in person". So must have been bred at previous owner's place "sometime...." Who knows? The vet took one look at my old girl, Cottontail, and said he could palpate her to see if she is in foal, but I told him not to do it. Now I notice she has some udder development! I still doubt if she is pregnant, but if she is it is probably from Volt and won't happen until next spring/summer. Does anybody know if heat, etc. plays any part increasing swelling of the udder/teets? I am hoping that's all it is for now...

As far as I know hormones can cause them to get a bit of an udder. It should go away after a few days if it's related to being in season. As long as it's not hot/tender it shouldn't be an infection. Is it more than the pictures you posted? Do you have more? Us nosy people would like to see ;)

As far as I know hormones can cause them to get a bit of an udder. It should go away after a few days if it's related to being in season. As long as it's not hot/tender it shouldn't be an infection. Is it more than the pictures you posted? Do you have more? Us nosy people would like to see ;)
OH! I didn't even think of that!!! I hope that's all it is. I don't see any usual "in season behaviors" right now and she was pretty insistent on flirting with Volt in the beginning. She is getting pretty bold with me and the other day even ran me over to get out of the paddock for some grass, which is unusual behavior for this normally timid little girl. She may be small but has tons of determination and inertia! She is still quite thin from when I got her. Just trying to slowly build her up so it's not fat related. Any thoughts?

Love his ears! He is paying attention to his world.
He's an awesome little guy. He's always aware of what's going on around him and figuring stuff out quietly. Takes turns hanging with each member of his herd and does everything they do.
OK Taz, here are your pictures! 😁 They are hopefully in a generally chronological order when they upload!View attachment 42160View attachment 42161View attachment 42162View attachment 42163View attachment 42164
Unnggg!!🤔🤦‍♀️ Has the one side gotten bigger instead of the other smaller? Is she showing anything else? I have no idea what to tell you other than keep an eye on her. Could be foal, could be in season, could be the weather, could be she was feeling left out and wanted to join in the 'fun'. I think she started this last week? If it's in season it should go away pretty soon...... Can you pull her out of the paddock and give her some hay cubes or pellets or bran etc. soaked in cold water and see if you can see or feel any movement? If she is in foal it could wake the little bugger up.

Jodie, anything going on other than you're sanity slowly slipping away?

Nope! Wishing she would just give birth already or tell me that she’s just faking the whole thing so I can remember what it was like to have a full night’s sleep!

He's an awesome little guy. He's always aware of what's going on around him and figuring stuff out quietly. Takes turns hanging with each member of his herd and does everything they do.

Unnggg!!🤔🤦‍♀️ Has the one side gotten bigger instead of the other smaller? Is she showing anything else? I have no idea what to tell you other than keep an eye on her. Could be foal, could be in season, could be the weather, could be she was feeling left out and wanted to join in the 'fun'. I think she started this last week? If it's in season it should go away pretty soon...... Can you pull her out of the paddock and give her some hay cubes or pellets or bran etc. soaked in cold water and see if you can see or feel any movement? If she is in foal it could wake the little bugger up.

Jodie, anything going on other than you're sanity slowly slipping away?
It looks like one side got bigger first and then the other side. She is still currently at the last picture stage. I take her out away from the others for her grain so they can't chase her off of it. I keep looking for movement but don't see any. She isn't acting like she is in season. She is however, adoring all the extra attention she is getting and also getting a little full of herself! LOL. Maybe she's thinking about challenging the other mares soon!

Oh no!!!! Oh poor you,most of us are only going through this with one. Is she elongating at all? I'm still pulling for she's not pregnant 🤞

Latest posts

Back