My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pitter Patter, not that I'm questioning that oh so wonderful vet but, when did you put Volt in with the girls? I was trying to figure out a possible due date for Snickers and I don't think it's been more that 4 months? I know it's somewhere here but I'm too tired to look back and try to find it;). I hope you're a bit more relaxed and got some good sleep last night😊
I had the same thoughts cross my mind - he said 4-5 months and it was towards the end of April that they were teasing Volt across the electric fence...unless he was really brave and got to her through the fence 🤷‍♀️

I had the same thoughts cross my mind - he said 4-5 months and it was towards the end of April that they were teasing Volt across the electric fence...unless he was really brave and got to her through the fence 🤷‍♀️
I have heard of that with a wood fence but never electric....that would smart!! 🤣

Pitter Patter, not that I'm questioning that oh so wonderful vet but, when did you put Volt in with the girls? I was trying to figure out a possible due date for Snickers and I don't think it's been more that 4 months? I know it's somewhere here but I'm too tired to look back and try to find it;). I hope you're a bit more relaxed and got some good sleep last night😊
May 13, 2020.So at most, Snickers would only be 3 months pregnant. It is possible I didn't see what I thought I was seeing but I am fairly sure that was a baby rolling about in there. He was also not happy I chose not to fully vaccinate any of the girls with a combo vaccine for just about everything. Too worried about something going wrong with baby (ies). I asked for simple tetanus though and he didn't have any but told me I could do that myself, just go to TSC. OH boy. And my old girl with horrible teeth is just fine. He said she could use braces but her grinding teeth are in great condition. So that's good news. Oh, Mermaive, he got a shirt and neck full of Pepper's poop when he palpated her. It shot out of her like a cannon! (pretty sure purposely!)

Last edited:
May 13, 2020.So at most, Snickers would only be 3 months pregnant. It is possible I didn't see what I thought I was seeing but I am fairly sure that was a baby rolling about in there. He was also not happy I chose not to fully vaccinate any of the girls with a combo vaccine for just about everything. Too worried about something going wrong with baby (ies). I asked for simple tetanus though and he didn't have any but told me I could do that myself, just go to TSC. OH boy. And my old girl with horrible teeth is just fine. He said she could use braces but her grinding teeth are in great condition. So that's good news. Oh, Mermaive, he got a shirt and neck full of Pepper's poop when he palpated her. It shot out of her like a cannon! (pretty sure purposely!)
Who is to say that Volt is for sure the sire though? If the vet estimated 4-5 months then it could be possible that Snickers was indeed pregnant when you got her, just very early on? Or the vet estimate could be off too - she could be earlier than he figured, or later I suppose too. So many possibilities! One thing is for certain though, you’re going to have at least one baby!!
Glad to hear about your old girl! And nicely done Pepper 😅

Way to go Pepper!! I hope she got a carrot for that later! 🤣 🤣
Well, at least you know there is a foal in there. It's a little hard to miss a foal moving around and pushing at momma's sides, you also said you saw her belly get really wide then go back to her normal quite quickly. I don't think you're an idiot and I'm pretty sure he is so......maybe keep an eye on her udder etc. just to be safe? Without worrying about when she's due, she should give you something to know she's thinking about it. Or it's the other way and he overestimated the age and she's due about the same time as Izzy (tba if she's even pregnant) for an April/May baby. Her maybe breed date was May 18. So basically he was obnoxious and didn't really help you at all 😒. You said he's the only large animal vet in the area, any chance you could fine a mobile small animal vet? They have the same training and mini's are 'small'........ A 'cow' vet would even be better.

I was really hoping she'd be giving you something new by now 🤪. Hang in there.
Thank you, so was I! Nothing is going backwards I suppose, but the going forwards is very very slow. I just want to go out there one day and woah there’s a big udder and a mega loose back end. I’m getting so frustrated with it all that I’m tempted to just say she’s not pregnant and turn her out in the pasture lol 😅

No, nothing that we have heard. When we went the 2nd both Mom and I thought two weeks or less....she has 24hrs.

Thank you, so was I! Nothing is going backwards I suppose, but the going forwards is very very slow. I just want to go out there one day and woah there’s a big udder and a mega loose back end. I’m getting so frustrated with it all that I’m tempted to just say she’s not pregnant and turn her out in the pasture lol 😅
We're not back to that again are we?? 🤣. I know the feeling, it will happen, with or without a lot of warning but she is showing you something so hoping she lets you know she's really close and it happens soon!

No, nothing that we have heard. When we went the 2nd both Mom and I thought two weeks or less....she has 24hrs.
She looked close in those pictures, it can't be much longer. Then again I think I said that about Tilly for almost two months. Hang in there, she'll get there.

We're not back to that again are we?? 🤣. I know the feeling, it will happen, with or without a lot of warning but she is showing you something so hoping she lets you know she's really close and it happens soon!
Hahaha no I’m pretty sure between the vet checks, urine test, belly growth and movement etc it all points to her being in foal, it’s just frustrating being at this point in the game with nothing really to show that she’s getting close. It was 3 weeks ago now that I was doing the “is she in heat or is this to do with baby” and not a whole lot of progress since then - slightly bigger udder, slightly lower belly and slightly softer muscles around her tail head. IF it’s an auction baby then we would be at 330 days today...if it was the freshly gelded gelding then we could be more like 320 (hard to say for sure with that one as he was never seen doing anything). Ugh.

i know, it's just frustrating!
I can only imagine how hard this is for you. I know you said Squirts breeder was going to try to find you 'your' horse but can you go looking? Maybe it would help?
Hahaha no I’m pretty sure between the vet checks, urine test, belly growth and movement etc it all points to her being in foal, it’s just frustrating being at this point in the game with nothing really to show that she’s getting close. It was 3 weeks ago now that I was doing the “is she in heat or is this to do with baby” and not a whole lot of progress since then - slightly bigger udder, slightly lower belly and slightly softer muscles around her tail head. IF it’s an auction baby then we would be at 330 days today...if it was the freshly gelded gelding then we could be more like 320 (hard to say for sure with that one as he was never seen doing anything). Ugh.
Ugh!! I know, it's all part of the conspiracy to make pregnant mare owners insane.

I could I guess. I'm in two different mini groups on FB in MI that they will post minis for sale but not in the price range or any thing that I really like the looks of. Squirt's breeder has a few friends that have Appy farms but I think she is waiting until we are closer to being ready before she looks or she is lazy/forgetful? 🤪

Latest posts

Back