My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see a difference in Pepper both from the side and her udder. Snickers is really being a problem child isn't she? I'm waiting for you to go out to see them and for them both to have made some fast changes. I think Pepper's going to give you something to see, Snickers might be a tricky foaler 🤷‍♀️ 🤯. They both know what they are doing and chances are will have no problems. I know, that doesn't really help at all, but hang in there!!!!

A few small changes tonight - the muscles either side of Rosie’s tail head are becoming softer. Not “jello butt” yet but the squishiest they have been thus far.
There seems to be something happening with her udder. It’s somewhat hard to describe but her “bag” area is feeling more swollen almost. It’s not particularly noticeable in pictures as it is still very small and she’s getting rather fluffy again! But it’s definitely noticeable to the touch. I will attach a picture anyway lol
So, nothing that screams “imminent foaling!!” but some small steps in the right direction. I really need those right now to keep me positive and get me through the waiting game!

Attachments

• E4EF4990-CE01-4D2E-AF33-1548E22266BA.jpeg
    E4EF4990-CE01-4D2E-AF33-1548E22266BA.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 10
  • BA96FD25-C134-47C4-BEA2-F6B54D9F8652.jpeg
    BA96FD25-C134-47C4-BEA2-F6B54D9F8652.jpeg
    520.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 93285A99-851B-4FD5-B10B-247A00E1725D.jpeg
    93285A99-851B-4FD5-B10B-247A00E1725D.jpeg
    540 KB · Views: 9
She looks so impressed doesn't she? I love the mane blowing in the wind. I can't really see anything with the hair but I've found feeling is the best way even when they get bigger, there are small changes you can't see. She's getting there :D

She looks so impressed doesn't she? I love the mane blowing in the wind. I can't really see anything with the hair but I've found feeling is the best way even when they get bigger, there are small changes you can't see. She's getting there :D
Lol I thought the same thing, just that “ugh so over the whole thing” look 😅
I definitely agree with the feeling - especially with her coat growing back she looks a certain way until you get your hands on her and then she feels completely different. Nothing new this morning, the wait continues lol

No news here on Snickers or Pepper. But I do have a question about my 25 yr old mare, Cottontail.....I want to think that her udder is a little swollen due to extra food and heat, etc. Going to attempt to add some pics here...Sorry for the poor quality. I was using her pics as something to measure with kind of when i look at my other two girls. I am pretty sure this girl has had more foals than should be allowed over her lifetime as her udder is just empty"sacks" basically.BUT things are starting to change down there a little bit. I took some earlier pics and then when I took some again yesterday I noticed her udder had a line down the middle that had opened up and ewwww...nasty! So I washed her up and there might be white under there because I put on a heavy moisturizer cream because she was dry and scaly..May be this the reason for getting on my lap--to scratch and/or clean. Anyway, let me know what you think?20200812_102710.jpg20200811_211058.jpg20200811_195619.jpg20200805_183420.jpg20200722_181455.jpgApparently the pictures loaded in reverse order so the fist ones are the most recent.

Attachments

• 20200416_184902.jpg
    20200416_184902.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 3
Oh no, that does look like she's getting some filling. That could be why you've been having a hard time getting good weight on her. Can you get any 'milk'? It might just be hot weather but I'd keep a really close eye on her. If she's pregnant you've been giving her good food which is great but you might want to separate her for grain and give her more? Tilly's weight was good before foaling and she's held it for nursing but she's getting free choice hay/grass and grain twice a day. You might need to supplement a foal with some milk replacer a few times a day to take some of the strain off her. I've known a couple older mares that had foals no problem at her age and heard of lots more. The good news is she knows what she's doing and is super friendly so you can get hands on to watch her and you'll be able to be hands on right after/while she foals if she does. The breeder you got them from though should be shot if she actually was allowed near a stud. Please keep us posted?!?

Last edited:
Oh I so hope the dear old girl isn’t in foal. But like Taz said, if it turns out she is then at least she knows what she’s doing, and she is in good hands. Maybe she’s just being like my pintaloosa and bagging up to join in on the fun!

So I feel both stupid AND disheartened now. Had vet out this evening. Checked Snickers and Pepper for pregnancy (and yes, I gave in to him palpating them but they did great)He says Pepper is definitely NOT pregnant, just obese....AND Snickers is only 4-5 months pregnant and he said there is no way I could have seen any movement from a fetus so small!! He said he is pretty sure she can only be pregnant by my stallion, not previous owner's. So, sorry for getting everyone's hope up. If he's right she might be having a WINTER baby... o_O :eek:

Did he say anything about Cottontail? Don't feel stupid, you saw something with Snickers, who knows what now? Well, if Izzy's in foal she's about 3 months right now so I'll be trying to figure out yes or no in another 2-5 months as I can maybe feel kicking so I get to have company then....YAY!!!!!

Did he say anything about Cottontail? Don't feel stupid, you saw something with Snickers, who knows what now? Well, if Izzy's in foal she's about 3 months right now so I'll be trying to figure out yes or no in another 2-5 months as I can maybe feel kicking so I get to have company then....YAY!!!!!
He didn't palpate Cottontail because just looking at her he felt she couldn't be. I am so surprised about Snickers because I thought she looked pregnant right from the beginning of her coming to my place. And Pepper...she just mysterious! Vet laughed and asked me if I wanted Volt (stallion) checked for pregnancy too! Wow, what a way to make someone feel totally stupid! But if Snickers is only not even partway through her pregnancy, that would answer why she isn't progressing towards foaling! I just don't know anymore. I think I may cut out looking at udders for a while because it just drives me crazy. 😞

He didn't palpate Cottontail because just looking at her he felt she couldn't be. I am so surprised about Snickers because I thought she looked pregnant right from the beginning of her coming to my place. And Pepper...she just mysterious! Vet laughed and asked me if I wanted Volt (stallion) checked for pregnancy too! Wow, what a way to make someone feel totally stupid! But if Snickers is only not even partway through her pregnancy, that would answer why she isn't progressing towards foaling! I just don't know anymore. I think I may cut out looking at udders for a while because it just drives me crazy. 😞
Please don't let it get you down!! Snickers IS pregnant and you don't have to worry about anything with her for a few more months. Pepper, well who knows. I really thought she was looking at the pictures and the vet could be wrong if she's very early with Volt's foal. I know someone who bought a mare who was running with a stud. She had her palpated and was told she wasn't in foal. The next summer she was very worried and going to get the vet out because she thought she had an infected udder, nope, a foal. If Cottontail isn't, that's great, she doesn't need that. I didn't think of it until a bit ago but if a geldings sheith is really dirty they can get swollen after cleaning, that could be what's going on with Cottontail. You wanted to have some foals from your boy and now you're having one and maybe two more in a couple of years if he's still a stud next summer. Take a breath, relax for a while and get ready to do it all over again starting around Jan. Oh, and that vet might know what he's doing but he's a complete jerk!!!!!!!!

Yeah that was very uncalled for. But yay, you have your answer with Snickers and you’re going to get a foal from her and your little guy so that’s great news!! Don’t feel stupid at all, I must admit I’m very surprised about Pepper! Who knows, maybe Rosie isn’t even pregnant and we can have a giggle with each other at all the nights of lost sleep, countless belly/udder/vulva pictures, and all the worrying and stress for some little mares who just like the extra feed, especially as I thought she and Pepper look similar in the belly, may she too is just “obese” 😅

Last edited:
Oh, I would have a feel of Cottontails udder every day just to make sure but she would also probably love to have more moisturizer cream on too 😊
My first foal was a mid March baby. I had a few blankets to keep him warm and dry and there were no problems from it. They tend to hold on to them a couple weeks longer and they are really furry....so cute!

Today Rosie seems and feels really small. It’s almost as though her belly has shrunk overnight - she doesn’t look really wide, not crazy low, she feels thin almost over her spine and in her hind quarters. Her udder feels the biggest I’ve felt it though, but still small. No change to her back end.
Maybe she heard that Pepper got caught out and decided she should give up the act too 😅
Wouldn’t that be something - if both our vets were wrong and Pepper pops out a foal while Rosie just continues to be worshiped on her lily pad until the dates long pass and the jig is up!

Attachments

• AFD1ADE1-7089-4C85-8058-7E735B545FE3.jpeg
    AFD1ADE1-7089-4C85-8058-7E735B545FE3.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Pitter Patter, not that I'm questioning that oh so wonderful vet but, when did you put Volt in with the girls? I was trying to figure out a possible due date for Snickers and I don't think it's been more that 4 months? I know it's somewhere here but I'm too tired to look back and try to find it;). I hope you're a bit more relaxed and got some good sleep last night😊

Latest posts

Back