My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like they had fun last night šŸ˜Š. My guys love it when they can get all excited when a menonite wagon goes by.
I hope your old girl just has a hay belly, she'd probably be fine with a foal but it would be hard on her. If she has a belly but still looks thin she might need more grain or to be switched to something higher in protein and fat. If she's in foal I'd be throwing maternity at her till she wasn't thin anymore. If she's in foal I wouldn't think she would be having a problem putting on weight because of it unless she was bred last year too, but I could be wrong.
Good idea not cutting anyone back on feed until after they're done nursing. Both of mine needed 24/7 hay or grass and maternity to keep their weight on.
Those udders are really annoying aren't they? Here's hoping they get it together and have those babies before it gets cold! I found it works really well for the first week or two to use a waterproof dog coat, the ones that look like a horse blanket, sew in a couple layers of fleece and put on a butt strap. That would get you through until you can figure out if/what they need after. Babies are born with lots of fuzz, especially the ones that are early and late in the year. If Pepper suddenly looks really fat it's probably her stomach muscles relaxing. Izzy went from barely there to waddling overnight 3 weeks before she foaled.
Thanks for the pictures and update. Please anyone with any different ideas speak up, most of you have more experience than I do:D.

Last edited:
OK Taz, and anyone else who has opinions or advice to share! Going to try to upload some recent shots. Sorry if it loads funny. Have a great day everyone! If the photos stay in order, they are (1) Pepper's udder 7.31.20 (2) Snicker's udder 7.31.20 (3) side view of Pepper's teets 7.31.20-it's a dark photo and she's black, but if enlarged it can be seen fairly well (4) Pepper rear shot 7.31.20 (5) Pepper side view 7.31.20 (6)Snicker's rear shot 7.3.20. Their bellies keep growing, but not a ton of advancement on udder. Thinking MAYBE late August, early Sept. I am already worried about keeping babies warm in winter!! Yikes, hope they arrive soon so they will be a little bit older before snow hits!View attachment 42022View attachment 42023View attachment 42024View attachment 42025View attachment 42027View attachment 42029
I definitely understand your concern about keeping a baby warm in winter! If I use the auction as Rosieā€™s breed date, that would put her at 330 days on August 15th, and 345 days on August 30th, though of course she could before then or even after! I have informed my husband that if we have a September baby then the rec room is being converted into Rosie and babyā€™s room šŸ˜…
I donā€™t see much change in the udder department in your pictures, Iā€™m sure youā€™re like me and just wishing to go check one day and see an actual noticeable change! So frustrating lol
Snickers doesnā€™t look very wide from behind, is her belly low? Pepper looks rather robust in the belly in the side view lol

Last edited:
It sounds like they had fun last night šŸ˜Š. My guys love it when they can get all excited when a menonite wagon goes by.
I hope your old girl just has a hay belly, she'd probably be fine with a foal but it would be hard on her. If she has a belly but still looks thin she might need more grain or to be switched to something higher in protein and fat. If she's in foal I'd be throwing maternity at her till she wasn't thin anymore. If she's in foal I wouldn't think she would be having a problem putting on weight because of it unless she was bred last year too, but I could be wrong.
Good idea not cutting anyone back on feed until after they're done nursing. Both of mine needed 24/7 hay or grass and maternity to keep their weight on.
Those udders are really annoying aren't they? Here's hoping they get it together and have those babies before it gets cold! I found it works really well for the first week or two to use a waterproof dog coat, the ones that look like a horse blanket, sew in a couple layers of fleece and put on a butt strap. That would get you through until you can figure out if/what they need after. Babies are born with lots of fuzz, especially the ones that are early and late in the year. If Pepper suddenly looks really fat it's probably her stomach muscles relaxing. Izzy went from barely there to waddling overnight 3 weeks before she foaled.
Thanks for the pictures and update. Please anyone with any different ideas speak up, most of you have more experience tan I do:D.
Pepper is about 12 yrs old. Is that too old for a baby? I really hope my Cottontail (who is 24-25 yrs old) isn't. Snickers is about 5 yrs old. Thanks for the blanket tip, Taz! Just may have to do that. I think I will wait to see when they arrive to figure out if/how many I will need! I switched to higher protein, low sugar content, and higher fat grain instead of regular grain and they all put on weight really fast! But I figure babies need that and so do mamas otherwise nutrients come out of mama...which I learned first hand with myself. I lost a lot of calcium from my own bones and teeth. Now I am wondering if they will foal at or around the same time! (If Pepper is pregnant!.) That could be a bit chaotic...LOL
I definitely understand your concern about keeping a baby warm in winter! If I use the auction as Rosieā€™s breed date, that would put her at 330 days on August 15th, and 345 days on August 30th, though of course she could before then or even after! I have informed my husband that if we have a September baby then the rec room is being converted into Rosie and babyā€™s room šŸ˜…
I donā€™t see much change in the udder department in your pictures, Iā€™m sure youā€™re like me and just wishing to go check one day and see an actual noticeable change! So frustrating lol
Snickers doesnā€™t look very wide from behind, is her belly low? Pepper looks rather robust in the belly in the side view lol
LOL! I would love the option of being to bring them in, but not possible and I'd probably be the only one still living there if I did! I have had chicks in my house a couple of times for an extended time as 4-H has to have show chickens at exactly 5 months by fair, which is first week of August. That puts getting or hatching chicks at exactly the first week of Feb (how unnatural is that?!) So, anyway--they really, really smell bad no matter how clean we kept them. Chickens and ducks in the house...super bad plan! LOL. Ya, the girls udders show very minimal changes, but from when I got them is what I like to compare them too and there is some small change. Not enough, I don't think to be close to foaling. Snickers' belly changes throughout the day often. I think the foal is lying lengthwise and seems to be most comfortable that way because when the belly is really wide it's only for about 20 mins or so and then reverts back to lengthwise. Snicker's is 34 " and Pepper is about 31" and they would both have been bred to the same stallion, who is 30". I don't know if size of the stud matters. Snickers is also considerably longer than Pepper. I will only know in retrospect how all this plays out. Previous owner I think is a little sad because that will be two foals out of her stud that she can't sell. I hope to be able to keep any of their babies unless I am not skilled enough to handle youngsters. This is a learn as you go proposition! So, Jodie, is your vote for fat, pregnant, or both? šŸ¤Ŗ

PLEASE don't worry about your foals in winter......Horses' comfort zones are MUCH lower than ours. They have a harder time in HEAT. (Sort of like rabbits.) To check if a horse is comfortable in the cold (obviously not shivering), put your hand up into it's "arm pit". If the "pit" is warm, so is the horse. (Just something I do to reassure myself.) For foal blankets (the Brits call them RUGS), I find that different sized DOG coats from Petco/Petsmart or even Amazon work well.

We try NOT to bring our horses into the house unless it's an emergency. It confuses their natural body temp., not good for their respiration, and may even cause them to shed too early! We've had two instances (that I can recall) where we had minis stay indoors with us over the years, because of health issues......other than DOZENS being walked through on lead -- just for fun.šŸ˜Š

PLEASE don't worry about your foals in winter......Horses' comfort zones are MUCH lower than ours. They have a harder time in HEAT. (Sort of like rabbits.) To check if a horse is comfortable in the cold (obviously not shivering), put your hand up into it's "arm pit". If the "pit" is warm, so is the horse. (Just something I do to reassure myself.) For foal blankets (the Brits call them RUGS), I find that different sized DOG coats from Petco/Petsmart or even Amazon work well.

We try NOT to bring our horses into the house unless it's an emergency. It confuses their natural body temp., not good for their respiration, and may even cause them to shed too early! We've had two instances (that I can recall) where we had minis stay indoors with us over the years, because of health issues......other than DOZENS being walked through on lead -- just for fun.šŸ˜Š
Good tip Maryann--Thanks! I am learning so much (mostly how much I DON'T know...LOL)

Pepper is about 12 yrs old. Is that too old for a baby? I really hope my Cottontail (who is 24-25 yrs old) isn't. Snickers is about 5 yrs old. Thanks for the blanket tip, Taz! Just may have to do that. I think I will wait to see when they arrive to figure out if/how many I will need! I switched to higher protein, low sugar content, and higher fat grain instead of regular grain and they all put on weight really fast! But I figure babies need that and so do mamas otherwise nutrients come out of mama...which I learned first hand with myself. I lost a lot of calcium from my own bones and teeth. Now I am wondering if they will foal at or around the same time! (If Pepper is pregnant!.) That could be a bit chaotic...LOL

LOL! I would love the option of being to bring them in, but not possible and I'd probably be the only one still living there if I did! I have had chicks in my house a couple of times for an extended time as 4-H has to have show chickens at exactly 5 months by fair, which is first week of August. That puts getting or hatching chicks at exactly the first week of Feb (how unnatural is that?!) So, anyway--they really, really smell bad no matter how clean we kept them. Chickens and ducks in the house...super bad plan! LOL. Ya, the girls udders show very minimal changes, but from when I got them is what I like to compare them too and there is some small change. Not enough, I don't think to be close to foaling. Snickers' belly changes throughout the day often. I think the foal is lying lengthwise and seems to be most comfortable that way because when the belly is really wide it's only for about 20 mins or so and then reverts back to lengthwise. Snicker's is 34 " and Pepper is about 31" and they would both have been bred to the same stallion, who is 30". I don't know if size of the stud matters. Snickers is also considerably longer than Pepper. I will only know in retrospect how all this plays out. Previous owner I think is a little sad because that will be two foals out of her stud that she can't sell. I hope to be able to keep any of their babies unless I am not skilled enough to handle youngsters. This is a learn as you go proposition! So, Jodie, is your vote for fat, pregnant, or both? šŸ¤Ŗ
Pepper is definitely not too old to have a baby, Cotton Tail is petty old for it but also would have a harder time catching. I've found the most important thing you can do with these tiny babies is handle them right away. Lots of scratching and running your hands all over them, they will grow up with no fear. As soon as you can turn some of that into moving away from pressure and picking up feet for a few seconds. You'll have very well behaved and socialized munchkins that you don't have to worry about 'not being skilled enough' to keep. If they bite or kick just block them gently and redirect them to something else, if that doesn't work as they get a bit older and try things on just send them out of your space if they don't behave, you already have their trust and they'll get it and come back better.

Thank you for the excellent information! It definitely makes me feel better about having a foal later in the summer. Iā€™ll be getting a dog coat! In your experience, what sort of size would I need? That is what has been holding me back from getting one as Iā€™m really not sure quite how little this little one will be. This might not help much but Rosie is 30 inches and the suspected sire (the stud she was in the pen with at auction) probably would have only been about 33/34 inches I would guess, looking back at pictures I took that day.
It was definitely a joke about them moving into the rec room - there is NO WAY that would ever fly, unless I got a divorce šŸ˜… but I rather like him so I think Iā€™ll keep him around lol though Iā€™m sure if it was an emergency then he would be fine with it.

Pitter Patter: I really am suspicious about Pepper! Iā€™m honestly thinking thereā€™s a strong possibility you may have two on the way. You know that Snickers is pregnant and that they were in the same herd, so thereā€™s a good chance the stud got to them both, add Pepperā€™s changing shape to that and itā€™s certainly looking like a good chance!

Last edited:
So, it appears there is nothing new to report on Snickers and Pepper today. Except Snickers is getting sweeter with me and Pepper is not being at all friendly. But to be fair, those biting flies are very attracted to her for some reason and she fights extremely hard to avoid fly spray...ugh... My daughter looked at Pepper today and came back to say she is HUGE! I needed her to look as the rest of us have become accustomed to her "look". She said she is huge and looks ready to pop! So, pretty sure she is pregnant :). I just don't think she is ready to "pop" LOL. I only have girl names picked out so if they have fillies, no problem there. Colts, well that is taking a bit longer to think up. I am making a list so I can see what might "fit" best. I took pictures, but absolutely no change.

I wish Rosie would get sweeter with me! She is all happy and lovely if youā€™re at the front of her, but anywhere near her belly or back end and look out. I touched the bottom of her belly today and she kicked hard (missed me but still, not like her). Her belly is very hard, no squish to it all anymore. You should post the pictures anyway because I for one like seeing them! I would also love to hear your potential names!

Attachments

• 9DBEA242-E9E9-4E78-B1D9-BACDFC82F8ED.jpeg
    9DBEA242-E9E9-4E78-B1D9-BACDFC82F8ED.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 9F884A78-7FA3-4B0E-A25E-229A6A11A4C8.jpeg
    9F884A78-7FA3-4B0E-A25E-229A6A11A4C8.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 4
  • A041B9CC-8671-4B45-973C-A87CD4F0FADD.jpeg
    A041B9CC-8671-4B45-973C-A87CD4F0FADD.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 2
Jodie, Rosie is beautiful!! OK, I am going to upload some pics from earlier this evening. The filly names I am thinking of but not totally sold yet (have to see the little ones first). Calliope (Cally for short), and Irish Piper (Piper for short). So all pics taken this evening. (1)Snickers side view (2) Pepper rear view (3)Snickers' udder (4)Pepper's udder (5) Pepper side view (6)Pepper front view--kind of! She kept leaving when I got my phone out to take pics! Thoughts anyone? Udders have seemed to have gone back in time. Is Pepper pregnant? I'm thinking so....20200802_174809.jpg20200731_210504 (1).jpg20200802_175034.jpg20200802_175216 (1).jpg20200731_194819 (1).jpg20200802_175154.jpg

Thank you :) She is having her hooves trimmed on Friday so that might be rather interesting given how grumpy she is.
I will be very surprised if Pepper isnā€™t pregnant. And I just love the colours in Snickersā€™ mane and tail!
Aww those names are lovely! I donā€™t have any yet, but Iā€™ll know when I see the baby.

She is definitely close! Still very wide, but way more dropped. I couldn't get a picture but she looked pretty elongated. Not as friendly as before but that's expected being VERY pregnant and flies. Her udder was very big (Cindy agreed), teats were still touching. Best pics I could get, sorry! I have a picture of the other side of her udder but it's not any better.
IMG_1407.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1411.JPG

Holy thatā€™s a big belly for a little lady! Does her current owner still think she is ā€œmaybe just fatā€ šŸ¤£ thatā€™s quite the udder too! Hopefully not much longer now!

Holy thatā€™s a big belly for a little lady! Does her current owner still think she is ā€œmaybe just fatā€ šŸ¤£ thatā€™s quite the udder too! Hopefully not much longer now!
I know, she is so wide which makes me think that the foal needs to spin before she can have it. LOL, she said Squirt has always been a little chubby, but with her humongous udder she knows she has to be pregnant.

Latest posts

Back