My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a perfect photograph of elongating! Thank you! Gives me a better idea of what to look for! ☺
No worries! The “before” picture is on I believe page 12, if you need something to compare it to! My cloud must look absolutely awful right now, bad enough having a ton of pony boobs and belly pictures, now we’re adding vulvas into the mix 😅

So since you know she is 310 days at minimum. She’s got to be getting close. And just for clarification there is no chance she was bred later. Sorry I get confused sometimes with all the different names lol. Between my own horses in grad school my brain is a bit full lol. Is she stalled at all? If you post pictures taken from a bout the same time each day it is very helpful. The udder will grow over night and shrink during the day so if we compare morning to night pictures it may not show much. The start in elongation is good as well as the sunken muscles. She’s getting ready. It all just depends upon how long her preparations take lol. Is she a maiden? I still think her udder will grow before she foals but you never know. I am going to add on a couple of pictures of what I mean by her anus elongating as well. First picture is 2-3 weeks before she foaled where she was about 320-325 days, and the second was the day she foaled at 345 days. Also when you take pictures of her vulva if you can pull the tail to the side rather than up because it changes the vulvas shape some. Good news is you are getting closer!!!

Attachments

• A46AF027-7842-47C1-AE66-A37AB693DB55.jpeg
    A46AF027-7842-47C1-AE66-A37AB693DB55.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 26F7513A-7380-4C0B-AD8E-933B936A39F0.jpeg
    26F7513A-7380-4C0B-AD8E-933B936A39F0.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 17
So since you know she is 310 days at minimum. She’s got to be getting close. And just for clarification there is no chance she was bred later. Sorry I get confused sometimes with all the different names lol. Between my own horses in grad school my brain is a bit full lol. Is she stalled at all? If you post pictures taken from a bout the same time each day it is very helpful. The udder will grow over night and shrink during the day so if we compare morning to night pictures it may not show much. The start in elongation is good as well as the sunken muscles. She’s getting ready. It all just depends upon how long her preparations take lol. Is she a maiden? I still think her udder will grow before she foals but you never know. I am going to add on a couple of pictures of what I mean by her anus elongating as well. First picture is 2-3 weeks before she foaled where she was about 320-325 days, and the second was the day she foaled at 345 days. Also when you take pictures of her vulva if you can pull the tail to the side rather than up because it changes the vulvas shape some. Good news is you are getting closer!!!
Lol oh no worries at all! Until Taz mentioned about recently gelded geldings, I was absolutely certain it didn’t happen here. To be honest I’m still pretty sure it wasn’t here - I never saw anything happen (not that that guarantees it didn’t) and he had zero interest in anyone. The place he came from gelded him “the cowboy way”. He was very nervous and sort of kept to himself for a bit until he came out of his shell.
Yes she is a maiden. I’m hoping she does something in the udder department - that would make things much easier to tell.
I just recently started stalling her at night. They had always had access to the pony side of the barn but the side door was left open to a small paddock so they just went in and out as they pleased. Now it’s just Rosie in the pony pen at night, she can still see the 3 mares though so she shouldn’t feel isolated at all.
Oh yes I can definitely see what you mean in those pictures! And thank you, I’ll be sure to do that :)

Last edited:
Nope not up yet - I will just be checking her constantly, ugh. Oh well. I just went out to her a moment ago. I am not allowed anywhere near her! But I noticed something I hadn’t seen before. Not sure if it means anything or not. At the top of her tail/on her croup she almost has a dent. I tried to get a picture of it but of course pictures never really seem to show what I’m seeing! I’m currently looking back at older pictures because I’m sure that wasn’t there before, but naturally I’m second guessing myself, even as far as the little voice in my head telling me “she’s not even in foal, she’s probably in heat”
Bahahaha oh I’m a full blown loony right now, updates on every single little thing I see, you must think I’m a crazy lady!!

Edited to add: that dip above her tail is definitely new - in everything I have of her previously she was a smooth, round, Big Booty Judy.
Hey Jodie, so you talked previously about a dent at the top of her butt. Snickers has one in the same place that just showed up today! Interesting coincidence

Reactions: Taz
Hey Jodie, so you talked previously about a dent at the top of her butt. Snickers has one in the same place that just showed up today! Interesting coincidence
Huh how strange! That gives me some hope then! Rosie has been all over the place the past few days from looking elongated to not so much, cranky as can be with me touching her. Still nothing more than edema in front of her teats so I have started a new worry - do we have fescue and is that causing any issues. I’m in the process of finding out. Anything new with Pepper?

Huh how strange! That gives me some hope then! Rosie has been all over the place the past few days from looking elongated to not so much, cranky as can be with me touching her. Still nothing more than edema in front of her teats so I have started a new worry - do we have fescue and is that causing any issues. I’m in the process of finding out. Anything new with Pepper?
Nothing new with either Snickers or Peppers, other than the "dent" in Snickers' rear end!

Jodie, I guess I am in for two babies...someday! One of my co-workers has been around farm animals all her life and looked at the photos. She laughed and tossed the phone back to me. She says even with the mini belly shape, she can tell Pepper is pregnant, maybe more or about the same timeline as Snickers! So, tonight when I got home I did chores as normal and spent some time with the minis. Pepper's belly seemed to grow, or drop a bit, since this morning. She has not elongated, no jello butt, and no big udder changes. But Pepper is having loose stools and often tonight. She has been down and rolling a lot, even at my feet she just laid down. Unusual for this lead mare to let her guard down even for a minute. When she laid down it was pretty obvious she has a baby in there! So, will definitely continue to treat as pregnant, even though I could still be wrong. She's cranky tonight and kicked my phone/camera out of my hand so I didn't try anymore for pictures tonight. (she made her point!)Stayed as late as I dare with biting flies driving everyone nuts tonight. I doubt she is having a foal tonight, but will check on her at least one more time just in case. So, if both of my girls have a foal, the foals will be half siblings from the same father! :)

Jodie, I guess I am in for two babies...someday! One of my co-workers has been around farm animals all her life and looked at the photos. She laughed and tossed the phone back to me. She says even with the mini belly shape, she can tell Pepper is pregnant, maybe more or about the same timeline as Snickers! So, tonight when I got home I did chores as normal and spent some time with the minis. Pepper's belly seemed to grow, or drop a bit, since this morning. She has not elongated, no jello butt, and no big udder changes. But Pepper is having loose stools and often tonight. She has been down and rolling a lot, even at my feet she just laid down. Unusual for this lead mare to let her guard down even for a minute. When she laid down it was pretty obvious she has a baby in there! So, will definitely continue to treat as pregnant, even though I could still be wrong. She's cranky tonight and kicked my phone/camera out of my hand so I didn't try anymore for pictures tonight. (she made her point!)Stayed as late as I dare with biting flies driving everyone nuts tonight. I doubt she is having a foal tonight, but will check on her at least one more time just in case. So, if both of my girls have a foal, the foals will be half siblings from the same father! :)
Ah how exciting!! Hahaha you know it’s time to leave her alone when she kicks the phone away lol little monkey! Rosie, or Fat Actress as I’ve taken to calling her as I’m still not fully believing she is in foal, looks like she has swallowed a giant watermelon. She just hates me touching her, ears pinned, went to bite me, turned her butt at me threatening to kick, the full works! But she’ll happily follow me into her stall for food, of course!
Here’s a couple pics from tonight. The picture with her tail down she was still slightly looking to the left, which of course would bulge her right side out more, but the past few days she does seem to look more lopsided to the right than the left like she has been since about the beginning of March.

Attachments

• EC7BDFE1-5186-4069-943B-667B827AE7D0.jpeg
    EC7BDFE1-5186-4069-943B-667B827AE7D0.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 706F7CF2-2779-4AFB-945B-6C9A7B26E5FF.jpeg
    706F7CF2-2779-4AFB-945B-6C9A7B26E5FF.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 10
Oh, she's getting close.....maybe 🤪. They normally have cow patties close to foaling but I've learned not to count on anything. I think Kristens mare did that on and off for a few weeks(?) and Tilly didn't do it at all. Could you please humour a worrier and post an all's fine or thumbs up in the mornings when you have time so I know you're still doing OK there?

Ah how exciting!! Hahaha you know it’s time to leave her alone when she kicks the phone away lol little monkey! Rosie, or Fat Actress as I’ve taken to calling her as I’m still not fully believing she is in foal, looks like she has swallowed a giant watermelon. She just hates me touching her, ears pinned, went to bite me, turned her butt at me threatening to kick, the full works! But she’ll happily follow me into her stall for food, of course!
Here’s a couple pics from tonight. The picture with her tail down she was still slightly looking to the left, which of course would bulge her right side out more, but the past few days she does seem to look more lopsided to the right than the left like she has been since about the beginning of March.
That bellies even bigger again!! Have you heard back about your paddocks?

Latest posts

Back