My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's safe to say she is, the vet sounded like she thought so. Are we just overprotective worry warts or is this what everyone goes through?

I couldn't do it. I'm already thinking Izzy will be 5 months along in Oct so I'll start checking for any movement then and if I feel any in the next few months after that I'll move her over to the bigger stall and get a camera on her so I can watch whenever I wake up and to make sure I don't find any bad surprises when I go into the barn in the morning. I found my friends aborted foal at 10 months, it was awful. No idea if she really is in foal yet. Rosie is going to have a beautiful baby and you will only be a little sleep deprived and have a few more grey hairs.

Oh no, that would be awful! Though admittedly, I do check the paddocks for that, just in case.
Sounds like you have a great plan!
Well I sure hope you’re right! Lol thankfully I am blonde so any greys I might have are not particularly noticeable 😅

Do the two of you have a 'mini mare breast pump' in your foaling kits? I've had two foals and had to use it both times, it works much faster and easier than trying to get milk by hand.

You have to make them, really easy. Buy a plastic 60cc syringe, my tack store has them. Cut off the 'pointy' end and put the plunger back in from that end so the smooth side is over her nipple. Pull the plunger to create suction.

I believe Rosie is changing shape. She looks like her belly is getting lower, and she seems to be curving in more at her flanks. Obviously I know that her belly will get lower, but is it normal for her flanks to sink in? She was just a grumpy little moo this evening but it has been so hot and muggy all day, I don’t really blame her! How is everyone else doing? @MerMaeve anything from Squirt? @Taz how are Tilly and little Finn? @PitterPatter please tell me something is happening with your girls? After Tilly’s epic adventure we need some excitement!

Attachments

• F3F7BB7F-8C3D-44B7-A5F3-5D61103ADB12.jpeg
    F3F7BB7F-8C3D-44B7-A5F3-5D61103ADB12.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 7
  • D76BB6AA-D5C4-4702-8086-D62816800CE3.jpeg
    D76BB6AA-D5C4-4702-8086-D62816800CE3.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 050035D3-9E93-4204-9C10-3F4BC830CD5B.jpeg
    050035D3-9E93-4204-9C10-3F4BC830CD5B.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I believe Rosie is changing shape. She looks like her belly is getting lower, and she seems to be curving in more at her flanks. Obviously I know that her belly will get lower, but is it normal for her flanks to sink in? She was just a grumpy little moo this evening but it has been so hot and muggy all day, I don’t really blame her! How is everyone else doing? @MerMaeve anything from Squirt? @Taz how are Tilly and little Finn? @PitterPatter please tell me something is happening with your girls? After Tilly’s epic adventure we need some excitement!
It's normal for her flanks to sink in, don't worry, it has to do with the foal changing position. Any luck getting the parts you need for your camera? Grumpy as she gets closer is normal too, just remember how you felt, she's the same 😊.

Tilly and Finn are doing great, I'll get some more pictures and post them later. Finn is growing like a weed, he was about 13/14 inches before he unfolded, he's up to about 17 give or take now. I measure him against my leg then measure my leg so it's approximate. Tilly is still having the odd night where she's not comfortable but not as bad as before. I think it's got to be being older and having lots of babies but really weird, of course everything was with her. No temp etc. For all I can figure it could have been her coming into foal heat and last night was her coming out. As long as everything else is fine....OK.

Squirt, Snickers, Pepper....Anything going on???????

Nope, nothing. I asked Cindy if we could come see Squirt again and she said she'd have to talk to her hubby and go from their as they are trying to get their old house on the market soon.

Ah ok thank you, glad to hear it’s normal! Lol yes I was absolutely miserable, like all women are I’m sure. My other two children were March and December so I didn’t have to be heavily pregnant in the heat, but with my son ugh it was awful lol
Aww so glad to hear he’s doing well and Tilly seems to be getting better!
Oh come on Squirt! Get that baby out!

So now I am really confused! Rosie is an absolutely cranky little toad today, tried getting a picture of her udder (not that there’s much of an udder there) and she turned her butt to me like she was thinking about kicking me! She hasn’t done that since we got her last year. She also tried to bite me which is unlike her. The really confusing part is she keeps holding her tail up/to the side slightly. Yes she is swishing it lots because of the bugs, they all are, but she’s sort of holding hers almost as though she was thinking about peeing but doesn’t squat or pee when doing it. If I didn’t know any better I would think she was coming in to heat - I have never seen her do this in the whole time we have had her 🤷‍♀️ Any ideas? I don’t really know what elongation looks like so I’ve attached a pic so you guys can tell me if anything is happening lol she’s no softer on her hind quarters, nothing really in the udder department (picture is a bit blurry as she wouldn’t stay still) Ugh this pony!!

Attachments

• A1756458-F82A-4664-9C91-BD430D02EA41.jpeg
    A1756458-F82A-4664-9C91-BD430D02EA41.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 22
  • CF65015A-49AF-4D3E-A2A1-25563EF43B85.jpeg
    CF65015A-49AF-4D3E-A2A1-25563EF43B85.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 12
Yes, it's normal for the flanks to sink in as her foal "drops". Her teats look like she's a maiden. Maidens vulvas don't relax as obviously either........
Oh goodness, thank you. So is there anything I can look for with her that will help with knowing that labour is imminent? Or is it all just a shot in the dark?

The tail up/over is normal. Tilly did that for ages!! I was told it's them reacting to pressure from the foal 'in position'. I think she has a bit more going on with her udder.... Um, any chance your camera is up/ up soon? I think you're at the point of checking at least every couple of hours. From everything I've read maidens can be really hard to tell what's going on. That said of course you could be getting up and checking her now and in a couple more weeks she'll start to look ready and you'll be smacking yourself for all the lost sleep and worry early. If I'd known what to look for with Tilly it would have been SO easy. Hindsights great 🤣. You are now entering the true pregnant mare loony bin!!!!!!!

Oh yes, she could get grumpier too. Watch out for teeth and feet 🤣🤣.
Sorry I shouldn't laugh, I still have bruises.

Nope not up yet - I will just be checking her constantly, ugh. Oh well. I just went out to her a moment ago. I am not allowed anywhere near her! But I noticed something I hadn’t seen before. Not sure if it means anything or not. At the top of her tail/on her croup she almost has a dent. I tried to get a picture of it but of course pictures never really seem to show what I’m seeing! I’m currently looking back at older pictures because I’m sure that wasn’t there before, but naturally I’m second guessing myself, even as far as the little voice in my head telling me “she’s not even in foal, she’s probably in heat”
Bahahaha oh I’m a full blown loony right now, updates on every single little thing I see, you must think I’m a crazy lady!!

Edited to add: that dip above her tail is definitely new - in everything I have of her previously she was a smooth, round, Big Booty Judy.

Attachments

• 9C439CEE-55F0-47CE-9798-2A94CE307646.jpeg
    9C439CEE-55F0-47CE-9798-2A94CE307646.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 4
That dent has nothing to do with being pregnant, if it was on both sides instead of the top or if it goes away it would mean keep a closer eye on her. Don't worry, crazy lady mode goes away as soon as the foals on the ground and they're both doing well. When you can get hold of her tonight for food try lifting her tail and wagging it back and forth or up and down and see if she tightens it up, if it's loose to start with. It sounds to me like she's starting to get serious :D. My little voice was going for 4 months telling me I was wasting my time, she's not really pregnant, everyone's going to think you're a complete loon when she ends up not foaling, it didn't even seem real until he was a day old. Hang in there, this is the worst part of the wait.

Latest posts

Back