My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I go and say that about Rosie having a lower belly and tonight it seems to have gone back up and she’s as wide as a house 😅 I’m sure there has to be a dedicated section in the psych ward for people with pregnant mares!

The one thing Tilly never did to me was play hide the baby. Drink wine, lots of wine, it might help 🤣.
Here'are some pictures of Finn from this morning, it helped me to get a baby fix. He's a total introvert, very quiet now, I can't imagine how quiet he's going to be as an adult. His favorite activity is eating/sleeping/laying down while watching everyone else do things. He will sleep, wake up, go straight to the milk bar then when he's done just collapse his legs and lie down again. He goes for a run now and then and is enjoying exploring but I haven't even seen him buck yet. Very layed back.

IMG_20200718_085311.jpgIMG_20200718_080156.jpgIMG_20200718_085105.jpgIMG_20200718_080040.jpgIMG_20200718_080114.jpgIMG_20200718_080033.jpgIMG_20200718_080135.jpg

The one thing Tilly never did to me was play hide the baby. Drink wine, lots of wine, it might help 🤣.
Here'are some pictures of Finn from this morning, it helped me to get a baby fix. He's a total introvert, very quiet now, I can't imagine how quiet he's going to be as an adult. His favorite activity is eating/sleeping/laying down while watching everyone else do things. He will sleep, wake up, go straight to the milk bar then when he's done just collapse his legs and lie down again. He goes for a run now and then and is enjoying exploring but I haven't even seen him buck yet. Very layed back.

View attachment 41918View attachment 41919View attachment 41920View attachment 41921View attachment 41922View attachment 41923View attachment 41924
He could not be cuter!!!!!!!! What a blessing and certainly worth all the sleepless nights! I am so happy for you <3

Oh my goodness, he is the cutest little thing!! Bahaha I better stock up my fridge! I’m hoping the vet may have a better idea of where Rosie’s at when she comes out on Wednesday. I’ll post the pictures from last night and I’m sure you’ll see what I mean about her being a wide load! I couldn’t get her to stand square - in one picture one of back legs was stretched way back, and in the other she had a very wide stance, but you can still see her belly sticking out. Not that long ago if she didn’t have her back feet close together, you couldn’t see much belly at all from behind.

Attachments

• 74AD9E11-36E1-46D6-8A84-FB545D2E2F32.jpeg
    74AD9E11-36E1-46D6-8A84-FB545D2E2F32.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 5E25AF78-C069-498E-B07F-DB748B6F3A9D.jpeg
    5E25AF78-C069-498E-B07F-DB748B6F3A9D.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 254A1525-F7FF-4B41-89AD-E9E4E7D5AA6C.jpeg
    254A1525-F7FF-4B41-89AD-E9E4E7D5AA6C.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 5FF1EAB0-8E70-4229-B9E5-FF80832D0A4C.jpeg
    5FF1EAB0-8E70-4229-B9E5-FF80832D0A4C.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DFB91F17-C1EF-4B75-BB83-33A9CB0FFD77.jpeg
    DFB91F17-C1EF-4B75-BB83-33A9CB0FFD77.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 6
Oh yes, that is a baby belly!! Her mane's not in the way anymore! 🤣 Is it me or is she unimpressed with the whole thing? Can't wait to hear what the vet says, hopefully she can get a good look.

Last edited:
Lol I think she’s getting very much to the “I’m over it” stage! Everything seems to be more of an effort for her the past couple days, like she seems to have a “ugh ok, if I have to” attitude (can’t blame her - my middle child was a September baby so I know first hand what it’s like being fat and pregnant in the middle of Summer 😅 ) I will for sure update after the vet comes out! I hope to god I don’t hear “oh sorry, I made a mistake before, she’s open” or words to that effect.

View attachment 41919
He is SO sweet and precious! This picture made my day!! I love that he isn't the typical black or brown paint too.

Lol I think she’s getting very much to the “I’m over it” stage! Everything seems to be more of an effort for her the past couple days, like she seems to have a “ugh ok, if I have to” attitude (can’t blame her - my middle child was a September baby so I know first hand what it’s like being fat and pregnant in the middle of Summer 😅 ) I will for sure update after the vet comes out! I hope to god I don’t hear “oh sorry, I made a mistake before, she’s open” or words to that effect.
I'm sure the vet won't say that, she sounded pretty sure when she checked her, but I would be worrying about the same thing. 😣 Pregnant mares!!

Thank you! I'm completely in love. How's Sterling doing?
Sterling is such a fun little thing. He was naughty this morning. He bit me on the butt. I did quickly turn around and pop him. Biting humans is not allowed. Besides that, he's practically perfect. He is very tame and gentle. He's shedding his baby fur and looking a bit rough. Sorry, this is not the best pic but the most recent.IMG_20200716_191319.jpg

Sterling is such a fun little thing. He was naughty this morning. He bit me on the butt. I did quickly turn around and pop him. Biting humans is not allowed. Besides that, he's practically perfect. He is very tame and gentle. He's shedding his baby fur and looking a bit rough. Sorry, this is not the best pic but the most recent.View attachment 41934
Hahaha! Yes, colts bite, bad boys. He tried the sneak attack 🤣 Sally looks great!! How old is Sterling now? He looks like he might end up small, they normally have most of their height by the time they're 4 months. What a cute bum!!

Sterling is such a fun little thing. He was naughty this morning. He bit me on the butt. I did quickly turn around and pop him. Biting humans is not allowed. Besides that, he's practically perfect. He is very tame and gentle. He's shedding his baby fur and looking a bit rough. Sorry, this is not the best pic but the most recent.View attachment 41934
Just went outside and took a few more pictures. They aren't much better.

Attachments

• IMG_20200718_170251.jpg
    IMG_20200718_170251.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200718_170132.jpg
    IMG_20200718_170132.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200718_170144.jpg
    IMG_20200718_170144.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 2
Hahaha! Yes, colts bite, bad boys. He tried the sneak attack 🤣 Sally looks great!! How old is Sterling now? He looks like he might end up small, they normally have most of their height by the time they're 4 months. What a cute bum!!

Sterling was born 5/9, so he's about 2 1/2 months old. I'm having the vet come out next week. Both Sally and Sterling are itching like crazy. I can't see a thing. I'm going to bathe Sally today with a medicated shampoo and see if that helps.

Sterling was born 5/9, so he's about 2 1/2 months old. I'm having the vet come out next week. Both Sally and Sterling are itching like crazy. I can't see a thing. I'm going to bathe Sally today with a medicated shampoo and see if that helps.
OK, so not that small, I've completely lost track of time 🤣. I always think lice when they get really itchy, it sounds nasty but is really easy to get rid of and they feel better after one treatment. A medicated bath can only help😊.

So this might sound really silly, but being a newbie to pregnant mares I would rather ask the silly questions and know the right answers! When you say “jello butt”, where exactly is that? Is it all over, around the tail head, downwards sort of either side of the vulva? And how squishy are we talking? Sorry for all the questions!

Reactions: Taz
So this might sound really silly, but being a newbie to pregnant mares I would rather ask the silly questions and know the right answers! When you say “jello butt”, where exactly is that? Is it all over, around the tail head, downwards sort of either side of the vulva? And how squishy are we talking? Sorry for all the questions!
There is no such thing as a silly question. What I found in my vast experience with two foals( 🤣 ) was that the whole back end gets soft to a point depending on the mare, yup, here we go again with your mare may do this. Jello butt, love the name, is more beside the vulva. Tilly got so soft I could take two fingers and gently wiggle the back of her thigh and it was like a bowl of jello the last couple of weeks. She was soft but not as soft all the way up and around her tail head. They can sink around their tail head to look like they do when they are really thin, the tail head sticking out. The last couple of days Tilly got a line from her tail head back along her croup where it was sunken. Izzy on the other hand got a bit softer in her whole 1/4's but that was it. When I say 1/4's I mean the top and down to their gaskin, not the sides so much. As far as I can tell jello butt is pretty normal especially towards the last week or two, if they read the book🤣. Is that clear? Let me know I can try to say it better. Please correct that if anyone disagrees or wants to add more😊.

That’s a wonderful explanation, thank you! Rosie used to have a pretty firm, round back end but now it’s getting a bit softer either side of her tail and slightly downwards either side of her vulva, not mega jiggly or anything, just more squishy to the touch than it used to be, if that makes sense. It also seems like her back end is less round and more slanted towards her tail.

Latest posts

Back