My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK..Officially frustrated and figuring Snickers will NEVER have a baby at all! Was texting previous owner and sent her pictures of the two mares. She says, "Oh, they do look preg...Must be my stallion covered both of them late last FALL! Good grief! Spring, Summer, now Fall? So, will keep an eye on them but not stressing until at least late summer unless I see any changes. :rolleyes: o_O😖😒

OK..Officially frustrated and figuring Snickers will NEVER have a baby at all! Was texting previous owner and sent her pictures of the two mares. She says, "Oh, they do look preg...Must be my stallion covered both of them late last FALL! Good grief! Spring, Summer, now Fall? So, will keep an eye on them but not stressing until at least late summer unless I see any changes. :rolleyes: o_O😖😒
OMG!!! Are you kidding me?!? So late fall would be what Sept? Oct? You might want to stop talking to her, it'll be better for your blood pressure. Well, you have time to get you're camera up without stressing about it 😊. Open a bottle of wine, relax and wait for them to tell you they're getting ready. You've done all the research and will be ready for the little bundles of joy when they get here. At least she thinks they look pregnant :D. Hang in there, it will be worth it and they will get there.

OMG!!! Are you kidding me?!? So late fall would be what Sept? Oct? You might want to stop talking to her, it'll be better for your blood pressure. Well, you have time to get you're camera up without stressing about it 😊. Open a bottle of wine, relax and wait for them to tell you they're getting ready. You've done all the research and will be ready for the little bundles of joy when they get here. At least she thinks they look pregnant :D. Hang in there, it will be worth it and they will get there.
Well said, Taz! That’s basically what I’ve decided to do! Pitter Patter, Rosie’s previous owner told me she had never been around a stud, though she came to auction with one (they also said she was a yearling which she wasn’t so I suppose I shouldn’t put too much stock into that). But, if she did get bred at/on the way to the auction (or maybe just prior to if say the owner put the auction bound horses in a pen together, speculation of course and just a possible theory) OR the “gelded days before arriving here” gelding is the culprit, that would put your girls and mine at about the same stage. So at least we have each other haha

Thanks, Jodie! Things are progressing so slowly for me because I went from thinking any time, to sometime soon, to who knows? But I feel better seeing Taz's girl just had hers. It's a reminder that it is worth the wait and gives more prep time, so I should be grateful! Snickers is growing sweeter lately, which is good news. Hasn't offered to kick me in a long time now! Since my stallion has kind of started taking a bit of a leadership role the two mares have decided to back off and relax some. Can't wait to see what our mini mares have in store for us, Jodie!

Oh absolutely, Taz finally having a baby after all the months of Tilly looking ready, then not, then ready again just shows that they do things in their own time and not by the book! Definitely gives us hope that’s for sure (and prepares us for a long roller coaster of a wait!!) That’s so good that your girls are settling down!
And yes! It’s very exciting! Assuming that our girls are around the same stage we shouldn’t have TOO much longer to wait - Rosie has been here 10 months on Monday, and Barney arrived 8 days later, so either way the possible window for foaling is getting closer :)

I can't wait for updates on your girls and to see what they have. I'm very grateful for the extra time I had to get Tilly's trust, it's made a huge difference in being able to handle little no name(any ideas? he needs something soft that I can shorten up or that shortens into something soft) That's amazing that Snickers is finally starting to trust, she will let you help if it's needed. That's one big thing you can stop worrying about. If you think of it as another week over it helps make the time go faster 😊

What sort of names do you like? Human names or more “animal” names? Yes having Snickers’ trust will make a huge difference. Pitter Patter, do you feed Snickers separately from your other ponies?

I don't really have a preference to a type of name. I'm awful with names and just wait till something that works pops into me head. I was going to call a filly Annabelle and it would have fit him perfectly if he was a girl. He has a bit of spunk but is super sweet and going to be quiet like his dad. A real teddy bear. Just if you think of anything, I'm in no rush something will come along 😊. OMG, I'm starting to relax and it feels so good. Your turn soon 😊

@PitterPatter, do you find that some days Snickers looks pregnant and other days she doesn’t at all?! Rosie barely looks in foal today, though I do think her belly looks lower than it has recently. Do you have any new pics?
Also, @elizabeth.conder, Rosie has a dark stripe along her back (didn’t really see it very well until all the extra fluff came out) would that be the nd1 gene you mentioned? I was told her dam was chestnut and her sire was a grey and white pinto, that’s all I know. She’s a very odd colour, sometimes looks chestnut, sometimes more towards a silver bay, what would be your suggestion of what colour she is? Thank you :)

Attachments

• 30E5DBCA-6A38-4B2A-8CE5-38D620281702.jpeg
    30E5DBCA-6A38-4B2A-8CE5-38D620281702.jpeg
    580.7 KB · Views: 6
  • B5E813F5-FAE4-45A5-8170-A66430EE430C.jpeg
    B5E813F5-FAE4-45A5-8170-A66430EE430C.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 6
  • C8279D21-1F35-40CD-AC9E-72C9C3985ABE.jpeg
    C8279D21-1F35-40CD-AC9E-72C9C3985ABE.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 47F7867F-2BC6-4C7B-9D63-6913470A5CF1.jpeg
    47F7867F-2BC6-4C7B-9D63-6913470A5CF1.jpeg
    529.4 KB · Views: 4
  • E2E94499-BD8F-4F77-B3AA-7508567C7E4B.jpeg
    E2E94499-BD8F-4F77-B3AA-7508567C7E4B.jpeg
    606.3 KB · Views: 4
@PitterPatter, do you find that some days Snickers looks pregnant and other days she doesn’t at all?! Rosie barely looks in foal today, though I do think her belly looks lower than it has recently. Do you have any new pics?
Also, @elizabeth.conder, Rosie has a dark stripe along her back (didn’t really see it very well until all the extra fluff came out) would that be the nd1 gene you mentioned? I was told her dam was chestnut and her sire was a grey and white pinto, that’s all I know. She’s a very odd colour, sometimes looks chestnut, sometimes more towards a silver bay, what would be your suggestion of what colour she is? Thank you :)

She’s beautiful! Yes that is likely ND1 or countershading. It’s something you’d have to test to be 100% but it’s highly possible. I’d say she is a silver bay. The dark legs are a give away. My stallion is silver bay so I always love seeing them. However some chestnuts can be pretty dark.

I’ll also add that it is very normal for her to not look pregnant at times. It entirely depends on the foals position. And it is USUALLY a sign that the foal is starting to change position. I know she does have much of anudder but have you tried getting any milk? Just as an example this was my maiden mare a couple of weeks before she foaled.Vet actually didn’t believe she was in foal until the ultrasound proved it.

Attachments

• 948E0A60-9360-4B19-AB9B-877BEDB48F98.jpeg
    948E0A60-9360-4B19-AB9B-877BEDB48F98.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Thank you! She’s the best impulse purchase I ever made lol she went from a feral little toad of a pony to an absolute sweetheart. And thank you, I was leaning towards silver bay too but a) I’m not very good at colours past the basics and b) I’ve never owned or seen a silver bay in real life.
I haven’t tried milking her as I didn’t think there was much point in trying given that all she has is edema in the front, but I could give it a go! Aww sweet Belle, she definitely doesn’t look in foal in that picture! That gives me some comfort, thank you. I have the vet coming out soon as I need to get my dear old Welsh mare tested for Cushings :confused: so I will likely have her just do a little ultrasound and double check for me as I’m a paranoid worry wart!

Thank you! She’s the best impulse purchase I ever made lol she went from a feral little toad of a pony to an absolute sweetheart. And thank you, I was leaning towards silver bay too but a) I’m not very good at colours past the basics and b) I’ve never owned or seen a silver bay in real life.
I haven’t tried milking her as I didn’t think there was much point in trying given that all she has is edema in the front, but I could give it a go! Aww sweet Belle, she definitely doesn’t look in foal in that picture! That gives me some comfort, thank you. I have the vet coming out soon as I need to get my dear old Welsh mare tested for Cushings :confused: so I will likely have her just do a little ultrasound and double check for me as I’m a paranoid worry wart!

Aww I hope your welsh is okay!

Let us know how it goes with both of them please.

Let us know how it goes with both of them please.
I will do for sure. The vet is coming out next Wednesday. Rosie we will know that day, but for Wish (the welsh) I’m assuming it will take a couple days for the results. Unfortunately I’m pretty convinced she has it. Everything going on with her is basically a checklist for Cushings symptoms, but I figured it would be better to get the testing and know for certain how best to manage it. Here’s a picture of her. Dear old soul would tell quite the story if she could talk, that’s for sure.

Attachments

• 0A79F564-B37C-48C8-B7AA-BC2DEDD3C9D6.jpeg
    0A79F564-B37C-48C8-B7AA-BC2DEDD3C9D6.jpeg
    705.3 KB · Views: 4
I will do for sure. The vet is coming out next Wednesday. Rosie we will know that day, but for Wish (the welsh) I’m assuming it will take a couple days for the results. Unfortunately I’m pretty convinced she has it, but I figured it would be better to get the testing and know for certain how best to manage it.
I've never had one with Cushings but it is treatable and manageable, sorry you and Wish have to deal with it. Lucky girl to have you.

What sort of names do you like? Human names or more “animal” names? Yes having Snickers’ trust will make a huge difference. Pitter Patter, do you feed Snickers separately from your other ponies?
I don't feed her separately. Don't have a good way at this time to separate them yet. I put down several very small piles of hay around the paddock so they really can't chase each other off the feed. Snickers and Pepper are both greedy about food and try to stake claim to all the hay but they now know it really doesn't matter because theres always enough to go around. I don't grain daily yet because everyone is gaining some weight and I want to watch that. They get it about every other other day and all mares get mare and foal supplement. They each have their own bowl. It's funny but those two like to share their hay and their grain but only with each other. Stallion gets grain (with no mare and foal supplement).

Aww bless them lol the only reason I asked is I found that separating Rosie to give her her feed made a huge difference in her demeanour. Even as recently as March she had to be cornered and almost wrestled to get a halter on her, not good about being touched etc. But catching her daily to give her some mare and foal, grooming her while she was eating, working on picking up her feet etc, I suppose must have made her associate all those things as being pleasant (as initially that only happened while she was eating lol) Now she will walk up to you in the middle of the paddock and stand to be haltered, no effort required, let you touch her anywhere, picks up her feet so nicely. It was just a thought for maybe helping you and Snickers have some one on one time so that you’re in a good comfort zone with each other by the time she foals.

Latest posts

Back