My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry...making you re-think a mare that could possibly be pregnant...I am now thinking a new possibility, at least for Pepper...Maybe my little Stallion covered her and she is very early in pregnancy and I could go through the same thing next summer! (Although I was actually hoping for her to have his foal, but I won't know either way until THIS summer passes who the baby daddy is! LOL)

Don't be sorry, I have baby on the brain and am seeing pregnant mares everywhere!! I would be 100% fine with Lucy not being pregnant 😊. Not only would that save me from moving her turnout around so the babies could be together I'd have to put a stall up in the last empty space in my barn since the others are in and she's out right now. Also the baby daddy is a nightmare for temperament, I hesitate to ever label aggressive but you can't go in the paddock without a wheelbarrow or something to get behind. He bites, kicks and jumps on you and is 38 inches or so. He isn't a breeding stallion(just gelded), he's an oops baby from a rescue who had to be gelded late because his testicles didn't drop and the vet told them he couldn't breed...wrong!
I think it's pretty safe to say Pepper IS pregnant, just not for whether it's this year or next ;) And if she is pregnant for this summer and you still have your stud out with them after foaling there's a very good chance you will have two more next summer 🤣

I am excited for at least one baby this summer! And excited if there are one or two more next summer. After that, if no one else wants to use him for breeding I will probably get him gelded. He is quite sweet, if not a little skittish. He is also registered. But when worked with for even half an hour, he is so sweet for the next couple of weeks. Then he seems to forget I've touched him everywhere and acts like I might kill him...silly boy. I never knew what a little jewel he was because he just got dumped on me with literally no notice by a neighbor, along with another gelding (Welsh pony that just passed last November). I had him with my gelded Welsh Cobb, two llamas, and our 300 lb goat but he was bullied. Went to find a friend for him and couldn't say no to all three girls!! He is thrilled and you can see his self esteem bloom right before your eyes. No he has his own little harem...LOL. But the girls have him on the run a lot as Pepper is the boss. He is starting to be more assertive but not aggressive. He is a sweetheart. I was told that mini stallions often don't drop "on time". In fact my boy just fully dropped this year and he just turned 5. I have also heard, but don't know if true or not, that a mini stallion that is not dropped can still make babies. If your aggressive guy did breed your girl, I hope his temper doesn't follow his DNA. I know what you mean about rearranging everyone if you have another little one. I will have to move Volt back in with the boys until I can trust him with young ones. I don't think I could ever just put him in a stall alone. Before I got him he was in a stall with the bigger gelding and they were both miserable. The welsh pony gelding was so very old and frail and stayed close to me always, he was given liberty on our property most days and brought in at night. Volt didn't really show me his true personality until long after his buddy died and now with the girls he is so wonderful.

Volt sounds wonderful! Spirit has the best temperament too. He's the boss but lets the two girls push him around unless it's something he thinks is important then he just puts his ears back and stands his ground. If Lucy is pregnant, and it's a big if, the foal will need lots of handling every day to make sure anything from dad(he's not mine thankfully) is gotten rid of, fingers crossed it would be a girl! From what I know that temperament runs in the line but Lucy is as sweet as can be so maybe it would be cancelled out. Maybe you could put Volt and Cottontail together somehow when the babies are little?

Pitter Patter, any update on Snickers and/or Pepper??
No real changes. Still can't tell if Pepper is pregnant or just getting fatter....Looking at Snickers, I know she is expecting but I think the due date is a bit far off yet when I compare pictures to the ones on this site. Udder is VERY slowly getting bigger. I take pictures about every other night now, That way I don't drive myself as nuts (or at least more than I already am!) I have cameras up but not running yet. Looks like my router doesn't reach very far and an extender I bought has no place to plug in. UGH.. Still trying to figure that out.

Ah shoot, I was hoping for something exciting haha I know what you mean though, I find myself analyzing Rosie every day, has this changed, has that changed, was my vet wrong and Rosie’s internal fluid on the ultrasound was something else and she’s not even pregnant. Ahhh!! I swear I’ll be grey before the year is out 😅
I have a similar issue with that - my barn is about 300 ft from my house. My wifi doesn’t reach that far and neither do my baby monitors! What type of extender did you get?

They'll both get there, this is the most crazy making thing I know of, hang in there.
I had the same problem with getting a camera to work. I ended up running cables out for an extender that I put in the barn, I don't know if that helps at all, I'm seriously tech stupid. This year I don't have any internet, only data from my phone so I have cables run out for a cctv camera. The wifi cameras are definitely better for being able to check them where ever yo are. PP, can you run a few outdoor extension cords out? Don't know the set up that might not work.

Yeah I’m trying to figure the logistics of it all, like whether to get an outdoor wifi extender, or if there’s a way to run CAT5 cable along where the power lines are the into the barn and just plug in another router, or whether I might just have to have a whole new internet set up in the barn. I suppose that would be a good question for the internet company! What kind of camera do you have, Taz? Does it just need power to work? How do you see what the camera is picking up? Sorry if those seem like silly questions.

Not silly questions at all! You should have seen me trying to figure it all out while everyone was closed except for online ordering🤪. My wifi was cat5 cables run out with the extender plugged into that and hydro. The extender didn't work unless it was hard wired in even though it had a bit of contact to my router. The camera was plugged into the extender and hydro and I mostly watched on my phone. The cctv that I have right now is just plugged into hydro and a cable run into my house and attached to my HDTV. Much easier!! I can give you details on what it is, the connectors I found out I needed and how to connect it to more than 1 tv if you want. I got the cables online cheap and the camera was about $60 I think. You can get cat5 cheap online too. I have't done anything fancy about running the cables out, they are just on the ground then up on the ceiling in the barn. Make sure you put electrical tape on any connections outside and don't drive on them and it's all good.

Yeah I was thinking running the cat5 might be the easiest option with the way we have things set up here. I would have to run it along by the power lines otherwise it will absolutely get ran over by something lol
If only things did exactly what they said on the tin - my baby monitor is supposed to be good for 600ft but barely gets outside of our back yard before it’s beeping and saying “No Signal” 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
I did basically the same thing for my setup but did coax cable instead. I added a couple parts though that allowed me to stream online so I could have help watching while I slept. It’s a lot of work but 100% worth it. A camera provides so much more peace of mind lol.

Oops, it was a couple of years ago. My wifi camera was on the car5 run out from my router. The extender was used for the foaling alarm on her halter.

Ah shoot, I was hoping for something exciting haha I know what you mean though, I find myself analyzing Rosie every day, has this changed, has that changed, was my vet wrong and Rosie’s internal fluid on the ultrasound was something else and she’s not even pregnant. Ahhh!! I swear I’ll be grey before the year is out 😅
I have a similar issue with that - my barn is about 300 ft from my house. My wifi doesn’t reach that far and neither do my baby monitors! What type of extender did you get?
I'd have to look when I get home. My daughter who was helping me went back to her place without finishing the job--ugh...So from what she told me an extender still has to be within the circle of the router coverage. I have nothing in between where it can be plugged in. But then my son thought maybe our pop up camper can be parked in between the house and garage (animals have stalls and shed off the garage). We would have to run an extension cord from the house to the camper. Not even sure if the circle of coverage from that extender would even cover the shed where the cameras are. Will be working on that issue this weekend. I might even have to run another extender to the garage. Kind of works like those paper chains we used to make as kids for Christmas. The circles of coverage must overlap. Each extender out seems to create a weaker signal at the destination though. So that is all I understand of the entire mess.

Sorry, got distracted and busy, I'll try to keep posting when I get up 🤣 🤣.

Jodie, I got Netgear WiFi Range Extender.......it says it works withany Wifi router. Still working on getting it into a workable place though..

Thank you! I’ll give that one a try! It would be really nice to have some contact with the outside world when I’m in the barn regardless as we live in a valley so there’s no cell service unless you’re near the house (we have a cell booster).

Latest posts

Back