My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I will try that. Been trying to get just the right shot..Thanks too for the encouragement on the kicking! She has been getting better.Poor girl. First she gets shipped here and then this stranger is getting very personal very fast! I am pretty sure she isn't my only pregnant one either now...I bought three together, well I paid for two and an old girl for free (25 years old). They all came from the same place with the "remote possibility" the one in the photos is pregnant... Maybe I'm just getting paranoid though, but I could swear I saw every one of their bellies moving when they ate. Do their bellies normally move when eating/digesting? I am scared for the well being of the 25 year old if she is. Previous owner does not believe the old one was exposed to their stallion and thinks it is probably not true for the other one as well. How late in their lives can they safely have babies? I suspect they each have had a little one back to back most of their lives. None of them are maidens and had been bought and sold so many times just to be bred. This is hopefully their forever home. I am so attached to all of them now.

Aww sounds like they’re in a good home with you now.
I don’t know about the safety of older horses in foal as I’m not experienced one little bit when it comes to breeding! Rosie (the one in the picture) was confirmed in foal last month and this will be my first foal, and most likely last! (I say most likely as I have a weakness for taking in rescues, though if I brought any more home I might have a very unhappy husband lol)
With the movement, yes their bellies do move about when they are eating - when we first had suspicions about Rosie I watched her stomach a lot as she ate, but then looked at our gelding, and our Welsh mare who I knew for 100% fact wasn’t in foal and their bellies moved too.
I know it’s probably not something you’re able to do just yet, but as she becomes more comfortable with you, if you put your hand under her belly just in front of her udder while she’s eating then you may be able to feel movement if she is in foal - that’s how we were able to feel it. It’s different from normal digestive movements and breathing, it was like little thumps in there.
I’m glad she’s coming around to you. It took a bit with Rosie, but spending lots of time with her (even just hanging out in the field and letting her come to us of her own accord) and positive reinforcement have worked wonders.
Have you considered having an ultrasound done on her?

20200416_182936.jpg 20200412_174951.jpg 20200416_184236.jpg 20200420_123857.jpg 20200418_122750(0).jpg 20200419_191227.jpg Thanks Jodie! Unfortunately vets aren't allowed to do anything except dire emergencies right now in Michigan due to COVID-19. So up until this morning I was 99% sure my mare was pregnant. (She's a bit on the chubby side too!) Hmmm.....scratching my head as I sat in paddock for over 3 hrs with them this morning and watched her tease the stallion on the other side of the fence--repeated times! I thought they didn't do that if they are pregnant? I think I got some decent pictures and I will try to upload them here (try being the operative word!). I have two other mares and I thought they might be as well, but maybe just wishful thinking, even though I am scared to death that something might happen to any of them or their foals, should they exist! Getting Foaling kit ready anyway..just in case. Anybody have an opinion? The black/brown and white is my suspect #1. Smaller dark brown mare is my #2.First 4 pics are suspect #1. The other two is suspect #2. Couldn't get anything better from behind yet. She just wasn't having it unfortunately (but she did put her head on my lap and dozed for a few minutes!)

I'm going to put my inexperienced opinion out there, no guarantees(I'm sleep deprived and stressed out waiting for mine to decide to pop and need to babble;)) The closer pic of suspect #1 from behind looks lopsided to me, that would be yes, pregnant. As for teasing your stallion, she could still be in foal. Mine spent 2 days the first week I had her teasing 'dad' who she lives with but is now gelded. She wouldn't let it go any farther than squealing and flirting but I researched it and it has to do with the development (hormones)of the foal and some will do it the whole pregnancy.

Mine is 21 and been a baby factory her whole life. I was worried about her foaling at that age but was told here that it shouldn't be a problem as long as she's experienced, so I'm thinking you're old girl should be OK.

I'm so happy they are somewhere they will be loved and looked after finally.

Good luck, looking forward to hearing how they do.

I have to agree with Taz, while I’m inexperienced, your girl does look to have the bulge on the one side that my girl has. And yes that’s understandable about the vet, but good that you’re prepared in case some babies should start popping out!
For a bit of fun you could do the ring on the string test on them! We did it each time I was pregnant with my 3 children. Yes it’s just an old wives tale but my daughter insisted trying it on our horses as she had fun with it when I was carrying her little sister. With our 3 other mares and the gelding it stayed still, with Rosie it swung in big circles.

I am thinking (hoping) that I am in the same situation. My little girl Ginger, found her forever home with me 4 weeks ago. She had been running with a stallion for a few months last year so I am expecting her to be in foal. She is looking rather round, I have had horses for over 30 years but foaling would be a first for me so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Sandra! There’s lots of really useful information pinned at the top of this forum. I too am expecting my first foal so hopefully we all go through this together with happy, healthy mamas and foals at the end of it all! I found this video to be really informative
While I myself don’t have any experience with mares in foal (thought I’ve pulled out my fair share of lambs as a child lol) there are lots of super knowledgeable people on this forum that I’m sure will be happy to help!

So last night I had a scare with one of my mares (probably not pregnant, but has quite a belly!). I was sitting in a chair in the paddock and the lead mare went and laid down on her side on top of manure pile! Scared me something silly. She didn't get up when I walked over to her. I sat down next to her (uh, yup, in poop). She put her head on my lap and closed her eyes. I could tell she wasn't feeling well. Then she opened her eyes and got startled and jumped up. Then she just slowly ambled about. At first I thought she could be in labor but don't think so now. Until I got a frantic phone call from my boyfriend to tell me she was having a baby! Then he went to get the foaling kit and put on his glasses....then he sees correctly. No baby! So disappointed now. Now I am questioning whether my other mare is even pregnant. If previous owner is correct, she may have been covered "sometime in June." Most days I swear I see belly movement but then the next day she won't even really look pregnant. Her udder hasn't changed much and she is a bit on the chubby side. I did a wee foal test on her a couple of weeks ago, but some of fluid in the vial leaked out and it may have been a false positive. That and she may be too close, I don't know. Here are some pics from when I first got her to now. Any opinions? First pic is of suspect mare the day we got her, then a couple of weeks ago. Then her udder last month and then now. Last one is the pic of the little mare my boyfriend thought was foaling out today.

Attachments

• IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200501_171524.jpg
    20200501_171524.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200507_190849.jpg
    20200507_190849.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200511_195555.jpg
    20200511_195555.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200416_182338.jpg
    20200416_182338.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 14
I still think one of the earlier pictures of the pinto looked like a lopsided belly(pregnant). Is she trusting you o the point where yuo can stand with your arms around her belly and jiggle it a bit to maybe feel some movement? Some of them have lots of movement and or big bellies, some don't. Have any of your three spent regular time(every 3 weeks about) teasing your stud? I'd keep watching in case. This is hard enough to go through when you know, I can only imagine how hard it is when you're guessing.

I still think one of the earlier pictures of the pinto looked like a lopsided belly(pregnant). Is she trusting you o the point where yuo can stand with your arms around her belly and jiggle it a bit to maybe feel some movement? Some of them have lots of movement and or big bellies, some don't. Have any of your three spent regular time(every 3 weeks about) teasing your stud? I'd keep watching in case. This is hard enough to go through when you know, I can only imagine how hard it is when you're guessing.
Thanks! Still guessing! Pretty sure pinto IS pregnant. I must spend hours just watching her belly and I do see a lot of activity. She hasn't bagged up. I think she has some time to go yet. My 25 year old mare, I don't think is pregnant. My dark brown mare is still unknown and she's not telling! Only the old girl will let me manipulate her tummy for a feel. Just putting my camera underneath the two suspects or lightly putting my hand on belly is taking a very real risk of getting a kick or bite. They are coming around, but on their own time! Funny thing, but they will put their heads in my hands or lap and doze but don't go near that belly!! So, we are preparing for whatever may come and hoping for the best.

I've known animals(and lots of people,lol) who don't want their belly touched when they're pregnant but don't mind it the rest of the time.....just a thought. Good luck!!!! Keep us posted:)

I've known animals(and lots of people,lol) who don't want their belly touched when they're pregnant but don't mind it the rest of the time.....just a thought. Good luck!!!! Keep us posted:)
I am so happy! My little pinto mare is most definitely pregnant! That baby is dancing a jig in there! She is now letting me feel her belly for the kicks and rolling about! I can see it plain as day now too. She hasn't been wide but is carrying pretty low tonight. Previous owner has just told me she is expecting two foals at the end of this month. I am wondering if the same stallion may have covered my girl and might be due about the same time. Having trouble uploading new photo. I am worried about a baby and our electric fence a bit. Should I put ribbon on it so baby can see it a little better? It's a bit of a nasty zap because we have had quite an increase in predators like coyotes and fox lately. I also have my little stallion with all the girls because of larger horse going after him. The little mares give him no end of grief but he seems much more relaxed and of course, happier! He is definitely the lowest on the pecking order. Should I remove him when baby is coming? He respects all of them and knows his place. I don't think he would do anything, and I don't think the lead mare will even let him close (she likely isn't pregnant and not the one I'm worried about just yet. She is VERY bossy and runs the show!)

Oh that's so exciting!!!!!!
The vet told me foals don't see well at all the first couple of days, turn out only on solid fencing absolutely no electric. Do you have an area you could put something else up? After that I would say yes, put some bright ribbon on the electric.
I don't know what your stallion will be like with a new foal but I've read horror stories about foals being killed by sweet quiet geldings, freaked me out. He probably will breed her on her foal heat if they're together, then you get to do this all over again next year ;).
Looking forward to pics and updates :)

Wasn't planning on any babies and only have electric fencing, but we do have a very large shed with a doorway. We are in process of fixing that up for the birth and for as long as we can keep them in there. So, my next question is do I have to keep the other two mares away after the birth too? Can they be near the laboring mare at all? Do I just watch everyone's behavior. My only other option is to put the others with my larger male animals including a Welsh Cobb gelding, 2 male llamas, and a 300 pound goat. My little stallion can go with the others as that's where he was for quite some time although the Cobb and goat give him grief sometimes. But the mares with the Cobb? I don't know if that would be dangerous or not.I hope to keep the mares together if possible. I might have a willing neighbor, but they have a couple of quarter horses in one enclosure with a run in. I have seen video of wild horses having foals with the herd around and mares protecting her. Does this happen with domestic horses at all? I am so nervous!

The shed sounds like a great idea!! Out of the wind/rain and very safe for a little one's first couple of days. I don't think mares are an issue especially if they know each other and get along well first. I would keep the mare and foal separate for the first couple of days until the little one knows who mom is and is steady on his/her feet then put them out with the mares and watch, the mares should act as aunts/nannies. If she foals with the other mares around she might want to go off on her own or might want the safety of having them around, I wouldn't worry about the mares much. Please if any of the pros disagree say so!! :)

Do you have any way of monitoring her? Have a look at foalapp.com, it might help you. The data in my mare's stall isn't very good but I'm putting it on her tonight in the hope of having some less stress at night.

Thank you! A little less stress now! I will look into the foal app and see if it would work here. I think we have a little bit more time. It's weird because today she doesn't even look very pregnant, just the usual mini belly. My farrier was just out and and wasn't sure either way either! But then I saw a lot of belly kicking. She looks "slab sided" possibly? But last night she looked very pregnant and lots of movement.

Oh, if the foalapp works for you you don't need to get they're pouch. A ziplock bag and duct tape worked for me.
If she stays slab sided I'd watch her closely

The only problems I foresee with the foal app is I don't have extra phones and the phone I do have is not particularly well suited. I am now thinking of buying a good quality wireless baby monitor that has night vision capability. Has anyone done this? I know it's not the same as an alarm and I would still lose sleep but at least I wouldn't be running around in the dark (and my vision is getting worse at night as I get older!).

So, still certain my girl is pregnant and that baby doesn't give his/her mama a break! Very active little one! She is starting to bag up, but nothing like the photos I have seen on this site yet. Not sure how close we are. Took some days off starting tomorrow through the 26th.Praying something happens then because time off is hard to get this days (I work in health care setting). I have a pretty stupid question though...when a mare bags up, is the udder area in front of the teats or behind? In front is getting bigger so I'm thinking in front. She is slowly more responsive to me. I spend hours with them almost every day (minus days of pouring rain). She now lets me gently put my hand on her sides and belly but she watches me (not quite trusting fully yet!). There is no way I can get better pictures or even see the udder personally (I use cell phone to see what's down there). I can't see anything much from side, and she won't let me lift her tail too much). She is getting a little more affectionate and comes to me on her own now, which didn't happen before. So hopefully she'll allow me near enough to watch the foaling,and jump in if necessary, IF I am home when it happens! So excited and trying very hard to be patient! My other mare, if pregnant, would be a month or more away. She just refuses to pee for me to test..LOL! She has a very round, hard belly and is constantly moving and twitching so hard to see if a baby is in her future! I am going to try to post a picture, but no promises and I apologize in advance if something goes goofy.20200519_180426.jpg 20200519_180456.jpg 20200501_171524.jpg 20200515_193044.jpg 20200519_195548.jpg 20200519_180426.jpg 20200519_180456.jpg 20200501_171524.jpg 20200515_193044.jpg 20200519_180426.jpg 20200519_180456.jpg 20200501_171524.jpg 20200515_193044.jpg 20200519_195548.jpg 20200519_195548.jpg

Latest posts

Back