My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theresalittle moredema, but not much else has changed. I think her vulva is a little more relaxed. I think baby is already in position, or at least not sitting sideways. Some days you'd swear she wasn't pregnant but other days she looks really big. I have seen baby make her jolt in pain in her back and it looked painful. but then she's ok in just a few minutes (poor girl, I remember those jarring kicks etc towards the end!) My girls and my stallion are getting along so well and I never thought that would happen! When I came out to feed them this morning, they were all laying out in the sun together taking a nice snooze! I may end up with another baby next year, but it's the first time I have seen my little guy happy!

Oh that's wonderful!!!!
I think she's going to have it sooner than later but that could just be wishful thinking.
Really who could mind another baby or two next year. The waiting and worrying is nasty but the foals are so wonderful you're not going to believe it, so much better than you can imagine.

Taz, how is your girl doing? Any little one yet? I'm still playing the waiting game. Not much change in udder development and last night she didn't look very pregnant, but baby was dancing! I am hoping she has it soon! The suspense is horrible. Poor thing thinks I'm crazy. I just talk to her and brush her a lot. I don't have much to say, but ask her when it's coming, what the sex is, and has she thought about names! I just want her used to my voice so I don't panic her so much when I come running in all excited...I can see by her face, she indeed thinks I am loopy but she seems to like it at the same time. Unfortunately she doesn't seem to be sharing my excitement! I think she may be one of the lucky females of this world that don't show a whole lot. Previous owner didn't know any history of what she like pregnant as she came with two young ones in tow already, a colt and a filly.

I'm pretty sure mine thinks I'm crazy too. I've been begging and bribing but it's not working. She took almost everything back again this weekend. Might have been starting the udder up again this morning but I'm not getting too excited about it....yet. No they don't seem to get too excited about it, too bad, they might hurry it along if they were.

I've decided Tilly is having a chestnut pinto filly. Haha, gotta have something to think about at 2am when she's just standing there eating. I've come up with a couple of names but I'm waiting to see what fits, have you gotten any yet?

I think you'll find she'll be super focused on the foal in the beginning and not worry about you unless she's a protective mama and keeps her away from everyone for the first few days. If she's protective when you do get up to them try to keep the foal between you, it will keep her calmer and you safer. I am still pulling for you being there for the birth so you'll get lots of hands on with the little one right away.

I keep thinking about what Snickers' baby will look like. I think it will be spotted like her but maybe brown? I am having such a hard time with a name. I told Snickers she better help name her baby, it is HERS by all rights! She doesn't seem too concerned. I have one name in mind only at this time and it's from a song. I don't think it would fit either. But who knows? Think I'll have to pull out my big baby name book. I'm afraid to jinx it. Snickers actually let me feel her belly lightly and I did touch the udder but she swung her head around at me.At least it wasn't her feet! Not going to force it. Although i should tell her to hold off on having kids! One of my kids is giving me so much grief lately...LOL. Anyway, for a while I thought she would be ready but I have a sense it might be next week earliest. Oh I do think she is going to be very protective. I am going to try not to get between them, that's for sure! I want her to raise her baby, but be used to me. I think they learn better manners from their momma and other horses than from people.

Reactions: Taz
Haha, I'm useless with names, I google names and try to find something that works. Tilly doesn't seem to care either when I give her ideas on it. LOL!

I absolutely agree, they learn so much more and better from mom and the rest of the herd. Yes, they are absolutely theirs and not ours. I was mostly meaning for when he/she is born for you being able to check him/her over and for the kissing you're going to want to do after, as you're allowed. Oh that's the best!!!!!

That's so funny, I was picturing her having a bay or buckskin pinto.

Haha, I'm useless with names, I google names and try to find something that works. Tilly doesn't seem to care either when I give her ideas on it. LOL!

I absolutely agree, they learn so much more and better from mom and the rest of the herd. Yes, they are absolutely theirs and not ours. I was mostly meaning for when he/she is born for you being able to check him/her over and for the kissing you're going to want to do after, as you're allowed. Oh that's the best!!!!!

That's so funny, I was picturing her having a bay or buckskin pinto.
I have a huge book called "A World of Baby Names" that I have enjoyed using for the last 22 years for my kids first and then fur babies. I love it. It has 30,000 entries based on countries, etc plus meanings. That will give me something to puruse through in bed tonight--but hopefully I won't get much sleep if something miraculous happens! And Snickers isn't saying if she knows if it's a little colt or a filly. Big Secret. Maybe THAT should be the baby's name...LOL. It's terribly hot and humid today with thunderstorms expected tonight. Oh, and I love kissing my ponies right on the nose. I was surprised, they actually seem to like it! (I know others may say be very careful because they could head butt or bite, but I am careful and quick!). I must be crazy, but I love the smell of horses and it puts me in a happy place. I think they like it because I am down at their level, appear more vulnerable than oppressing, and I think it's how they often check each other out.) I learned this from my llamas, as llamas naturally fear humans' hands and are suspicious, but they will always greet you nose to nose pretty happily. So I hope someday to be able to do the same with baby (of course that would be up to baby and probably mama too!). I think they are gaining trust with me every time I am with them as they often put their heads on lap after I stroke them under the chin and talk with them for a bit. It's the best feeling in the world! Now I am prattling on, sorry. I hope Tilley cooperates soon too!

I'm starting to think Snickers is going to get there first, Tilly is not cooperating at all. That doesn't of course mean she can't have it any time. AAAAHHHHH!!!!

My colt(2 now) was kissed on his nose from moment one and LOVES it. It doesn't stand still for anything but will for kisses.

I just don't know. I hope it's not tonight. We are expecting some pretty nasty thunderstorms in a couple of hours and throughout the night.I have some pictures to share to get opinions I don't see much change in her udder at all really but 20200602_185148.jpg 20200602_185122.jpg 20200602_185921.jpg I feel like she is getting closer. So the race is on, is it? LOL. First I am going to apologize for my ineptness in getting pictures uploaded properly, but also because the vulva shots were between tail swishes.

Attachments

• 20200602_185949.jpg
    20200602_185949.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200602_190031.jpg
    20200602_190031.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200602_180516.jpg
    20200602_180516.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 15
You have nothing to apologize for.
Except for her having no udder yet she looks close to me but remember I've been thinking Tilly was 'close' for at least 6 weeks now. Of course some don't get an udder, it's enough to put you in the looney bin.

Hi guys. I’m really not trying to hijack this post in anyway! I am new ! I cannot figure out for the life of me how to upload photos on my posts, but it’s working on other people’s, so i’m wondering if anyone can help me figure out if my mini is pregnant or if she just needs a diet, or maybe both? She is pretty big. We got her in october, not sure if she’s been exposed to studs but was in with a bunch of minis. Her udder is a lot different than our other minis udder, and she is a lot wider set. I hope someone can let me know !

Attachments

• 9EC9A12D-8FDE-4C33-A755-CA975474C571.jpeg
    9EC9A12D-8FDE-4C33-A755-CA975474C571.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 8
  • FE6681C6-3D8A-41DC-8214-567B9672EBB1.jpeg
    FE6681C6-3D8A-41DC-8214-567B9672EBB1.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 4B1F5DDC-C952-4B4D-AF04-AFB203329EBC.jpeg
    4B1F5DDC-C952-4B4D-AF04-AFB203329EBC.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 357F513C-B2A2-4A6B-BD2A-59F2712FFB7A.jpeg
    357F513C-B2A2-4A6B-BD2A-59F2712FFB7A.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 10
I'm not the best one to tell you either way as I am new to this pregnant mini thing myself. I really can't tell if she is pregnant or obese. As far as I can tell in the standing photo she looks pretty nice, so if it's just her belly I would lean towards pregnant. But as far as what I am hearing from the experienced folks on this site, treat her as if she IS pregnant just to be safe. Have you seen any movement? Ryan on this site has told me to take a photo of her from behind a bit and at her level so you can see if both sides are even or not. And by the way, I know I have accidentally "hijacked" threads without meaning to and your photos loaded beautifully (not all over the place or numerous duplicates like mine usually are!). Keep us posted. Some of us have been on "baby watch" for what seems like forever! We could use some company :)

Hey BuckskinRoan, my mare's photos are just up a couple of messages. In comparing them, your mare looks a lot like mine from the side and I know mine is pregnant, unless she has aliens or one HUGE parasite! LOL But then again, mine has a little extra weight on her too. Sorry, not much help!

Any news yet, Taz? or is Tilley holding out on you like Snickers is on me?! This morning before work Snickers hardly looks pregnant anymore. Udder is the same. But her vulva is pretty swollen. She won't let me check any closer on that end though. She looks miserable and is keeping her ears pinned back. She is irritable with the other horses, except for my stallion. They hated each other at first! Crossing my fingers for this weekend!!

I think you're getting closer than I am. Tillys either going to give me no warning or it's going to be very fast, I can just feel it. Otherwise it's going to be a while more, 10 weeks today since she started an udder, no changes since last Wed. Snickers is doing lots of changes, come on baby this weekend!!!!!

I think you're getting closer than I am. Tillys either going to give me no warning or it's going to be very fast, I can just feel it. Otherwise it's going to be a while more, 10 weeks today since she started an udder, no changes since last Wed. Snickers is doing lots of changes, come on baby this weekend!!!!!
I think they will both go quickly and maybe surprise us both! I think Snickers is waiting for me to just leave her alone!

Reactions: Taz
Earlier today I would have said Snickers is getting closer. She had trouble clamping her tail down and even let me look at her vulva! (pink not red). But I just got back in from checking on her and she's back to refusing me look at her much. I just don't know. Then I got a message from previous owner who asked me how I figured out she is pregnant and about when she's due?! She originally told me she may have been pasture bred in June. Now I am confused. Ugh.

Oh poor you!! Don't believe anything the previous owner told you :rolleyes:.
If she's not clamping her tail yay! Would she not let you check if it was still loose or had it tightened up again?

Latest posts

Back