My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Discussion in 'Miniature Horse Pregnancy, Foaling and Mare Stare' started by Pitter Patter, Apr 12, 2020.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

1. May 20, 2020 at 12:17 PM #41

Pitter Patter

Pitter Patter

Pitter Patter

And again I screwed up with the pictures! Sorry! The 5th photo down and the last two are from my other mare. The rest are from the mare I know to be pregnant. Any thoughts on how she is progressing? Thanks!

2. May 20, 2020 at 2:06 PM #42

Taz

Taz

Taz

Oh!!! I hope she gets it together and you are off when she has the little one! The swelling in front of her udder/teats is edema, perfectly normal, might go away(move back) as her udder develops or stay till she foals. I always think it looks like the teats are in the middle or slightly to the front once the udder is developed.
    Good for you spending the time she needs with her and building trust! It's going to pay off when she foals.
    Hopefully she's at least looked at the book and will give you definite signs about what's going on. Looking forward to updates:)

Pitter Patter likes this.
  3. May 20, 2020 at 2:11 PM #43

Taz

Taz

Taz

That makes more sense. Don't worry about messing the pictures up.
    She's going to get a lot more udder before she's done IF she's following the book. Keep an eye on whether it goes up and down through the day or stays. If it stays you're supposed to be getting close. My little one has it stay for up to 3 days then it goes away, she's never even looked at the book as far as I can tell. No idea what she's doing and my vet just laughed at me when I asked him :confused:

4. May 20, 2020 at 4:49 PM #44

Pitter Patter

Pitter Patter

Pitter Patter

Edema? Oh boy, do we have a ways to go then!So much for a baby on my vacation :( Previous owner thinks this is probably her 3rd baby. Birth and death are always inconvenient, unfortunately!o_O

5. May 20, 2020 at 7:48 PM #45

Taz

Taz

Taz

I've learned not to even try to figure their timing out. She might get ready fast, might not. The book says 2-6 weeks after they start developing an udder so maybe....... she's doing something at least
    Enjoy your holiday and try to get some extra sleep while you can, haha.
    Isn't feeling that little one dance around the best? I gave my mare a hug tonight and the little one went for a run:)

6. May 20, 2020 at 8:03 PM #46

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Do you have any idea when she may have been possibly bred ? From the pictures at the start of your thread to the latest ones, I don't see a great deal of change. For a mare that has had two previous foals, she should be much wider, unless she was bred at the end of last breeding season. ??

Dont wanna sound like the party pooper , just my honest opinion:)

7. May 21, 2020 at 5:31 AM #47

Pitter Patter

Pitter Patter

Pitter Patter

No worries, Ryan! I am beginning to think the same thing actually! There is A LOT of baby movement but that's about all. Owner could be wrong about when she was covered. I guess time will tell. Still very much guessing on the other mare too. Just don't know, but am a little disappointed in that I have to ask for vacation time so early. So now I am on vacation for 6 days and most likely will miss the birthing if it is next month...:( Had a long evening yesterday. Coyotes were close by with their bone chilling howling at around 8 PM but it was still very much light out. Hung out there with my little ones for hours with one of my dogs. Usually they hate our dogs but I they allowed him to stay and hang out. This would be why I have 6 strands of electric fencing and not a solid fence like I would prefer. Thinking about putting one of the male llamas with them once he decides he 's not going to mount everything in sight (and he was gelded young!). He shows a strong tendency to be a guard llama. Anyone have any thoughts besides a gun to keep coyotes out? (I also have a very impulsive ADHD 16 year old that would make gun ownership dangerous!). Ryan, may I ask how you fared during the fires there?

8. May 21, 2020 at 5:26 PM #48

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

She very well could be pregnant and treating her as if she is, is the best thing to do. As you said her previous owner may have missed a later covering, so maybe shes just alot further behind than thought.

We dont have coyotes here, but my neighbour does have Llamas in with his sheep and lambs to protect them from foxes. I can understand why you would want to be near your animals when they are howling like they do, very scary !!! i hope they leave your animals alone :) We were ok in the fires, where I live, but other parts of the country really suffered, especially our wildlife. It was really sad to watch something, as horrific as it was, go on for so long.
    Good thing is , we have had more rain this year so far than the previous two years, so hopefully we dont get a repeat again this summer. :)

9. May 23, 2020 at 6:25 PM #49

Pitter Patter

Pitter Patter

Pitter Patter

Ryan, this has nothing to do with horses....I went to Melbourne years ago and it was perhaps one of the best experiences of my life! Got to interact with Kangaroos (and had my camera "stolen" by one!). Wonderful experience of holding a wombat (such sweet creatures) and watch penguins return in the evening on the beach. Glad you were ok with the fires. So horrible to watch without anything we can do.

Holly Chisholm and MerMaeve like this.
  10. May 24, 2020 at 3:04 PM #50

Holly Chisholm

Holly Chisholm

Holly Chisholm

MHT Supporter MHT Supporter

We used two baby monitors, and they worked great!!! My husband and I took turns watching her, which was a good thing. Sally's foaling took less than five minutes, and hubby had to break the sac. This all happened before I could get my boots on and get out there! Blessings for a healthy baby!

Pitter Patter and MerMaeve like this.
  11. May 25, 2020 at 7:08 PM #51

Kristin

Kristin

Kristin

I am using a baby monitor and it is working well for me.... I got it inexpensively at Wal-Mart... Only $50. It has night vision, but was a bit fuzzy, so I leave a small light above my girls stall at night.

12. May 25, 2020 at 8:28 PM #52

elizabeth.conder

elizabeth.conder

elizabeth.conder

I used a camera set up with Marewatchers. It made a HUGE difference because you could watch the camera from anywhere and there is actually a Facebook page that you can post on and get help watching so you can sleep. So I became good friends with a couple people which allowed me many more hrs of sleep than I’d have gotten without it.

Kristin and Pitter Patter like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted