My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I am getting excited about doing actual ground work with one of my new "babies." I was thinking Pepper might be just a tad constipated and thought she might need some more exercise. Tried to put halter and lead on her so we could at least go for walk. She wasn't having it at all. So I decided to "move" her with just looking at her feet (read this in a book but never worked for me). It worked! I had her moving all over the lot and only moved my feet a little bit. When we were done she came to me willingly and put the halter on. But that wasn't the best of evening....my little, old Cottontail was at my side the whole time I was working with Pepper. When I was done with Pepper and ending on a good note, Cottontail wanted more attention. Halter then went on Cottontail and we worked on walking together and stopping. When we were good with that I worked on "back" with her after stopping. That took some time but not much. I just touched the back of her halter when I said "back" at the same time I took two steps back. She caught on right away. I took the halter off and tried it again, she was licking her lips and looking at me (yay!). She walked with me, stopped with me, and after a few tries, she backed with me several times off halter. I am so happy we are communicating! I hadn't thought about how rude I had been with them and poking and prodding about them maybe being pregnant.( I was never rough). I began introducing myself before each interaction with each horse and waited for acknowledgement. I asked again before moving closer to them and they were much more willing. When they said no, I would turn and try again later. Eventually they all came up to me as I sat on a stool in the lot and I was almost smothered with affection by 4 minis at the same time. It was such a wonderful experience. Now to move onto more! I know this is such a minute thing, but my heart just soared!

That's a huge thing, for them and you!! The relationship is the most important part not how much you get done how fast. You're going to see big changes in them now and you'll all have fun doing it. Well done you!!!!!

That's a huge thing, for them and you!! The relationship is the most important part not how much you get done how fast. You're going to see big changes in them now and you'll all have fun doing it. Well done you!!!!!
This is why I got them (well, kind of for Volt too!). I love the relationship building most of all. I really don't know much of anything for training etc. but just some tidbits from a natural horsemanship trainer a few years back with my Cobb. I'm reading a good book on communicating with your horse and trying things out. This was one of them and we actually had fun learning from each other! So excited!

I'm so excited for you! The relationship is what makes everything else easy and is the best part of being around them. If you want a couple other things to look at watch Taming Wild. It's a self made documentary, I think you can get it on netflix but if not google it. It's not really a how to at all but I think you'll enjoy it. If you are looking for some help on where to go what to do next, have a look at Warwick Schiller. He's gotten really into the relationship and how they feel about things instead of the other type of 'natural horsemanship' and it's really well explained on videos you can download if your internet isn't good at home.

I'm so excited for you! The relationship is what makes everything else easy and is the best part of being around them. If you want a couple other things to look at watch Taming Wild. It's a self made documentary, I think you can get it on netflix but if not google it. It's not really a how to at all but I think you'll enjoy it. If you are looking for some help on where to go what to do next, have a look at Warwick Schiller. He's gotten really into the relationship and how they feel about things instead of the other type of 'natural horsemanship' and it's really well explained on videos you can download if your internet isn't good at home.
Thank you. I will look for it this weekend!

I think mares like to watch people stress...honestly! So, yesterday evening Cottontail is back to having swollen udder, so is Pepper. Only the one I know to be pregnant has had very minimal progress. Go figure! Have a wee foal kit coming. None of them have shown outward behavioral changes sometimes seen in open mares. But they live with Volt so maybe the excitement has gone down. Who knows? These little ones are so fascinating! Cottontail eagerly follows me where I didn't think any horse would go so willingly, the crowded garage (has to back up, no room for her to turn) and our front porch (with about seven steps) with our dogs going crazy on the other side of the front door. Best "free" thing I ever received! 🥰

Latest posts

Back