My mare is driving me crazy! xD What do you guys think??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrettyPonies

Reaction score
Hi! I have a mini mare, Shasta, who is due to give birth any day… This is my first horse baby! My mare is 10 years old and she has had one other baby about 4 years ago (before I owned her, I reached out to her old owner but wasn’t able to get more info about her previous pregnancy). I do know she was supposed to have had an easy normal birth, and was a great mama though! Shasta was pasture bred so the only date I saw her bred was April 14th, so that would put us at day 335… Her belly has dropped a bit, and her muscles are pretty relaxed on her rump and her tail muscles have loosened up a bit. She has bagged up a ton, I have been testing the Ph of her milk. I don’t know if I did something wrong the first time I tested it because when I first tested it the Ph was at 6.2 ( I caught the milk in a disposable paper bowl so I don’t know if that could have skewed the results or not…) and now I have have be collecting it in a clean plastic cup and the results are at 7.8… Her milk is almost opaque (I could barley see the shape of my finger through the cup this morning) and a light ting of the amber color, it is also very thick. I just wanted to see what you guys all were thinking! I’ve been waking up every hour to check the camera for the last two weeks 😅

Also she has been uncomfortable the last few weeks and has been pressing her butt against the stall wall.

Sounds like she's close! Can you post pictures?

She looks good! That udder should fill more so I’d think the 7.8 ph is right. But it’s a good enough udder she could go very soon. It may have just been a faulty strip. Make sure you are allowing the strip to soak for the required amount of time as that can make a difference too. Was that white spot on the top of the teat there or is that from testing? Are you familiar with all the dystocias that are common with minis? Waking up every hr is TOUGH! Especially for that long. Do you have the ability to share the camera with anyone so you can take shifts? You’re definitely in the final stretch, but who knows how long that stretch will be!

Elizabeth's the pro not me but that's what I thought. She can elongate more too. I'm VERY happy to hear you are doing hour checks on her at night, it's exhausting but very worth it. I start foal watch before a lot do just to make sure they aren't doing it 'their way' and going to sneak a baby in before they look ready. Then again I'm a mother hen :). She looks like she has the 'Should I start worrying about you yet?' look 😂. Hang in there, please keep us posted.

She looks good! That udder should fill more so I’d think the 7.8 ph is right. But it’s a good enough udder she could go very soon. It may have just been a faulty strip. Make sure you are allowing the strip to soak for the required amount of time as that can make a difference too. Was that white spot on the top of the teat there or is that from testing? Are you familiar with all the dystocias that are common with minis? Waking up every hr is TOUGH! Especially for that long. Do you have the ability to share the camera with anyone so you can take shifts? You’re definitely in the final stretch, but who knows how long that stretch will be!
Her udder has gotten quite tight feeling, but I know it still has the crease and doesn’t look as full as it should be… My Ph strips said to wait 15 seconds which is what I have been doing, I’m going to test her again around noon… the white spot on her test was from me testing :) I have been studying problems with foaling and have a few experienced neighbors and vet numbers on hand! 😊 My dad has been helping watch the camera at night too so that’s a big help! Thank you for your advice it’s super helpful!!

Elizabeth's the pro not me but that's what I thought. She can elongate more too. I'm VERY happy to hear you are doing hour checks on her at night, it's exhausting but very worth it. I start foal watch before a lot do just to make sure they aren't doing it 'their way' and going to sneak a baby in before they look ready. Then again I'm a mother hen :). She looks like she has the 'Should I start worrying about you yet?' look 😂. Hang in there, please keep us posted.
She has elongated more since last night when I checked her

Sounds like she's moving along :). Is she shedding yet? You might want to brush as much hair off her as possible everyday, especially her sides and belly, it's not good for baby to get it while figuring out how to use the milk bar.

Okay so today is day 338, Shasta’s Ph tested around 7.2 (it was kinda an in between color from the chart, but it was most similar to 7.2…). And I got some more pictures today. She is so dirty right now from the mud we have been having 😬FDF7DEEF-F350-4690-84BB-67038C3DB9CC.jpegBFCE8BCD-BC0F-4576-A915-D5EEA551920F.jpeg65980AB0-5963-49EE-A6BB-85F42D5CE1D5.jpeg118B2F62-153A-43CB-AB3E-366D319DE129.jpeg3257DB91-C13F-4DEE-A928-902C0568AD05.jpegC93259D1-5204-4783-8018-3050E871840D.jpeg

Wow i just realized it’s not really quiet around here like i thought and mentioned to TAZ a couple days ago it’s just that no one but TAZ was kind enough to respond to me, and ELIZABETH at times and I appreciate that, thank you honestly! Good luck with your baby pretty ponies

Last edited:
So I just went out to take care of Shasta, and her udder seems a bit more developed and tight. He Ph dropped to 7 (maybe a little under). 95A5D5BB-1F0A-4652-8E54-B470E753445F.jpegD40755D8-9890-41AB-9B4A-0B15C77A1FD8.jpeg5F58241C-9A55-419A-A831-E7B5BDD520B2.jpegD124CAC9-39D0-4AEA-9049-428216FB20F1.jpeg60A47C50-335F-4183-9B06-7BC4585BA2FC.jpeg

Looks like a good change to me, I don't think you have much longer to go. Don't hold me to that though, they like making you crazy hanging on. If she was mine I'd be at the 1/2 hour checks stage and begging someone to check her during the day so I could get a nap, especially if that pH is coming down.

I'm not going to say today but very soon if not today I think (hope 🤞🤞). I wouldn't be taking my eyes off her until she does. Good luck and please let us know what's going on.

Latest posts

Back