My mare is 330 days today....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey@SmallWonders

Reaction score
My mare MBF Mid Summers Dream is at 330 days today. She is a maiden mare and it is our first foal so we were wondering how much longer you think she will go. Please offer any advice, it is all very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Front view:

5282260.jpg

Side view:

5282258.jpg

Back view:

5282259.jpg

Front view of her udders:

5282265.jpg

Back view of her udders:

5282261.jpg

Her vulva:

5282263.jpg

So, how much longer do you think??

Have you got a milk test kit that would give you a better idea? Physically - Is her udder as a rock, are her nipples filled out and pointing down?

I would guess from her udder, she's not quite ready yet. As in not tonight. But I bet she foals within a few days. Good luck!

Good luck with this one Bailey! I know how excited you are!
default_smile.png

If her bag is close to empty, you might have a little longer wait. I would definitely consider getting a milk test kit for when she actually has some milk to test. It's been pretty good for us, working almost 97% of the time, and helps to predict the amount of time left before she foals. Hard to tell from your pictures how close she actually is, but you're getting there!

If she were an experienced broodmare, I would say a minimum of 2 weeks. But being a MAIDEN?

ALL BETS ARE OFF.

She may or may not get a full bag or produce milk enough milk to test. It would be outstanding if she does!

So, the best thing to watch is when the foal drops down under her midsection......which hasn't happened yet in your photos. Feel her butt muscles daily. You want them to get very soft and "jelly-like". And her vagina will also get very saggy/droopy. When those things happen, be on HIGH ALERT.

I agree with miniv - high alert! You may not get any further signs - and things may suddenly progress and voila! She will be down and straining!

This spring I had experienced broodmares start to foal - and then develop a bag...
default_wacko.png

It is wise not to expect her to have read "the book"...

The most predictable thing about a mare is her unpredictability!
default_yes.gif

Thanks everyone! We do have a halter alarm and a camera so if she lays down the alarm will go off and then we can check her on the camera. WE are watching her a lot. One other thing I hadnt mentioned, she hasnt layed down in a few months and she recently started to lay down again. Does that mean sanything??

One other thing I hadnt mentioned, she hasnt layed down in a few months and she recently started to lay down again. Does that mean sanything??
I've noticed with our girls that they'll start laying down again (sternum and flat out) about a week before they pop.. Our pintaloosa mare rarely lays down at all but started laying down about a week before she foaled her colt.. Her udder looked like your gals, not full and I could only get a drop or two of liquid, vulva was still puckered, mom and dad went to town the Friday before I graduated college, was gone hour-hour 1/2 at tops and came home to a baby standing up, was not expecting a baby so soon! lol

Latest posts

Back