My mare had her foal 4 weeks early

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations. I haven't seen any other Ontario mini foals posted yet, so maybe she is
default_laugh.png
pretty baby
default_wub.png

How many days pregnant was she when she foaled? I've got a mare at day 300 right now, but she looks to have a ways to go yet.

If I take the last day I bred her & use 340 day calendar. She was 313 day's. I now also have another mare the is due at the end of March getting boobs with 2months left to go, so going to start watching her. This is my new mare so I don't know any of her habits. I also have had both mares under lights since Dec so I can rebred them back early. I don't know if that has made a difference or not.

I have heard it does make a difference. I also keep my barn lights on come January. Both so I can see them cameras better and so it encourages foaling and coming into heat in the mares. I like to have my first set of breedings all done by April. I love my March foalings.

If I take the last day I bred her & use 340 day calendar. She was 313 day's. I now also have another mare the is due at the end of March getting boobs with 2months left to go, so going to start watching her. This is my new mare so I don't know any of her habits. I also have had both mares under lights since Dec so I can rebred them back early. I don't know if that has made a difference or not.
My mare (Faith, blue eyed bay) is 305 days today and bagging up a little more every day. My other mare (Choctaw) foaled her filly Jan 27 at 316 days. I was thinking Choctaw would be giving me a Valentines baby but it is looking like it will be Faith with a Valentines baby (if she holds out that long).

I just hope none of forum members are having to see mares go 345, 350, and up to a year or more. Those sleepless nights are really hard on us.
default_wacko.png

Have you decided on a name for your beautiful new little addition?

I have a few, but my husband tells me how stupid they are. I will tell you them & maybe you guy's could help me choose.

My farm name is Wetrock miniature farms.

My stallions name is Ten Ls Legacys Kiss This. So with that i can up with.

1. Wetrock Kiss This Calendar Girl

2. Wetrock Kiss This Cover Girl

3. Wetrock Kiss This Flirty Girl

4. Wetrock Kiss This Midnite Lace

another one as she was born 12.20 am

5. Wetrock 20 Pass Midnight Kiss

If anyone could give me any other suggestions I struggle with names & I have 3 more to do later. Oh and I think she has a blue eye too. Quite strange as none of her parents have blue eye's.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few, but my husband tells me how stupid they are. I will tell you them & maybe you guy's could help me choose.

My farm name is Wetrock miniature farms.

My stallions name is Ten Ls Legacys Kiss This. So with that i can up with.

1. Wetrock Kiss This Calendar Girl

2. Wetrock Kiss This Cover Girl

3. Wetrock Kiss This Flirty Girl

4. Wetrock Kiss This Midnite Lace

If anyone could give me any other suggestions I struggle with names & I have 3 more to do later. Oh and I think she has a blue eye too. Quite strange as none of her parents have blue eye's.

Thanks

I like the first name. Barn name could be Callie. What is the mare's name?

Wetrock Steelin Kisses

Oh yes I like that name!

BTW I personally would not consider 313 days to be early at all. Majority of my mares tend to go between 310 and 320 normally. Earliest for mine was 306, longest has been 345... that was not a fun wait
default_wacko.png

Congrats
default_aktion033.gif

Lights to help a pregnant mare cycle after she delivers? I thought pregnant mares after they deliver automatically begin to cycle themselves, no lights needed? I also heard that Foaling stall lights left on make pregnant mares have a later gestation???

When I read up on lights it said that a mare can stop cycling after they have foaled if they are not under lights. Some do some don't I didn't want to take the chance. She was under lights as of november 2010 & I bred her March last year. I will bred her on her march heat again this year as long as she comes in to heat!!!

313 days is not early. Mares tend to mostly foal around the same gestation each time. So look for her to always foal close to the same gestation time.

Congrats on your baby!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

I wouldn't call it early either, most of the minis I have or know have foaled between 310 and 330. The shorties like being 'early' by big horse standards!

Congrats on the bub!
default_biggrin.png

She's lovely! And completely full-term. 313 may be "early" for you, but not your mare!
default_smile.png

Back