My mare had her foal 4 weeks early

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiss This

Reaction score
My mare was due feb 22nd to feb 28th, so when she started to get boobs on Jan 7th I know it would be early, but not that early. She is healthy & full of spunk. She was up within 5 mins & running around within the hour. She is a black pinto very nicely marked & is friendly with is nice. She maybe the 1st one in Ontario. IMG_1284.JPG

Congrats on your new little one! Nothing better than getting a beautiful black pinto filly
default_smile.png

She doesnt look (or sound) like a preemie- perhaps your mare is just one of those that doesn't have a forever pregnancy. I have had mares foal at 310 to 320 days with a 'fully cooked' baby. The mares just had shorter gestation than some.

Congrats on your lovely new foal!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If your mare was bred on more than one cycle, and you figured she settled on the second one and counted days to that date, my vet told me they will often "catch" on their first season and then may still come into heat the next month, so we breed and use that date, when in fact they caught from the first date. That is why I find it useful to always record ALL dates, not just the last time she appeared to be in heat and the last time you may have seen her bred.

CONGRATULATIONS on your new foal!
default_smile.png

Very cute. What do you mean by the first one in Ontario?

Minis can have healthy, robust foals fron as early as 300 days (or even earlier) to well over 365 (had one go to 372 with her first). There is a bigger window than with big horses (which pretty much need to get to 330 to have a healthy foal) which makes it all the more important to start watching for signs earlier.

Congrats!

The mare was bred on one heat cycle in March. I mean that because our winter goes on sometime till April/May that most don't breed for a Jan- March foal, so she is probably the first one born in Ont. In 2010 the mare foaled 2.5 weeks early.

Congradulations on a beautiful filly! She certainly does not look early to me either.

First foal that I have heard of in Ontario this yr!

Congratulations on your pretty filly. So glad things went well!
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back