My mare foaled 18 hrs ago

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albahurst

Reaction score
Just need to know, as I am starting to be concerned, if it is normal for a mare who has foaled to not poop for 18 hrs and counting. She is eating ok, but she seems to be quite sore. Her back end was trembling quite some time earlier today. I gave her banamine about 6-7 hrs ago and that helped with the discomfort. She seems pretty wiped out, but she did just have a foal. I sure don't want her to colic! Anyone have some info on this type of situation. This is her third foal.

Thank you for your help!

Peggy

Peggy,

I'm wondering the same thing with Infinity. We are right at 24 hours....I called my vet and he said not to worry unless she begins to act colicky. Mare Stare is down and its nasty here....icky night to have to keep running to the barn but I'm checking on her every couple of hours!

This is normal. I just had two mares foal this week on Monday.. neither of them pooped for a long time after. Once they have a regular meal and their bodies get over the immediate foaling effects, they will be fine.

I am concerned about the one being sore and shaking though. Have never had a mare do that. Did she have trouble foaling?

Peggy

I cant help with the pooping issue but wanted to say that I hope your mare is ok
default_smile.png

Finally something I AM familiar with. I have a mare who also goes a very long time without pooping and worries me every year in fact the first time it happened we were almost 24 hours out when I called my vet. Each mare is different BUT if your mare is one who cleans well before foaling it will take some time before she has enough back in. If she hasnt got a fever and is eating and peeing etc you have a long window before her lack of poop is an issue. The shaking would also worry me as that is often a sign of fever or pain. My vet told me she would go as soon as she got enough back into her system to need to and sure enough she did 31 hours after the birth but she had no fever and was drinking peeing and eating well. If everything else seems fine then she is probably fine.

I don't become too concerned unless the mare starts laying down a lot or is straining to go. I've had two this year that have done one or the other. For those, I've mixed some mineral oil and water in with some alfalfa pellets and let them eat that if they will. For those that don't I will syringe some mineral oil and water down them. Good luck with your mare and new foal and hopefully, by today, things are starting to return to normal.

We have had a mare go for a little over 24 hours before. I guess they get such a good cleaning out when the foal is born they have to have time to refill.
default_biggrin.png

As mentioned above, unless they act stressed or in pain I really do not be too concerned about it, just keep my eyes paying attention.

Peggy, how is she this morning? Is she ok?

Thank you all for the responses!

Well, today is better :0 At about 2am I decided to give some mineral oil to the mare. I was really concerned with the shaking,too, as I have never had a mare do this before. I gave her banamine, at the suggestion of LB members. That did seem to help some. And, this morning the mare pooped, so all is well with that issue. Mare is looking perkier today. Since our foaling monitor didn't alert us to the birth, we can only guess at how things went. I do know that the baby was bothering the mares back legs for the past couple of weeks and she had been pretty uncomfortable. Baby has some pretty nice, long legs so those may have contributed to the mare's pain following the delivery. Momma mare seems pretty tired yet, but her eyes are becoming more shiny. She is a very good momma.

Baby also gave us a puzzle to solve. She was having runny poop not too long after birth and I was having to clean her hiney, legs, and tail. At the suggestion of the vet, we are giving Lactaid and ProBios. Voila! Appearantly she is a bit lactose intolerant right now, but that should pass.

Since we lost a foal last year to ecoli, we had the baby vet checked within a few hours of birth, her IgG checked, and we gave her an ecoli antigen for precaution. So, that is all fine and we are confident she is not ill at all. She is getting stronger each hour and is running, bucking, etc.

We think she is pretty cute!

Thank you again for the comments and suggestions. It is so helpful to have you wonderful folks out there to share your experiences and advice. I so appreciate it!

Peggy

Peggy, Glad to hear your mare is feeling better, hope your filly is getting regular poo by now, Would love to see pics!!!! I also had a colt born that at about 24 hours started really runny yellow mustard colored poop, I called the vet and we got him on antibiotics....today he has firmed up and it is not as bright yellow, so hopefully he will be ok.....Seems like there are always worries...So I am right with you on the hiney washing end.. :DOH!

Thank you all so much!

I will get some pics soon. It has been so cold here that I am waiting to take her outside. We are still trying to come up with a name for her. Any ideas would be great! Her dam is StarLite and her sire is Lots O Spots. Maybe after I get some photos up someone might think of a name. Our farm name is Alba Hurst, so she would be :

Alba Hurst's.............

She is doing great today. Her poo seems to be ok now and momma is doing fine. And, to top it off, momma mare doesn't mind one bit that people go in her stall to love up on her and her baby. I am so glad- makes it fun to play with the baby
default_biggrin.png

Peggy

I don't become too concerned unless the mare starts laying down a lot or is straining to go. I've had two this year that have done one or the other. For those, I've mixed some mineral oil and water in with some alfalfa pellets and let them eat that if they will. For those that don't I will syringe some mineral oil and water down them. Good luck with your mare and new foal and hopefully, by today, things are starting to return to normal.
Yep! I agree with with Becky said!
default_biggrin.png
I to do the same thing with the mineral oil if it is needed, but most of the time they do not need it since they have a bowel movement usually about the time I am preparing to give it to them!
default_yes.gif

Jeri

Glad to hear they're doing ok!
default_aktion033.gif
Looking forward to the pics (when it warms up!!!)

Alba Hurst's Spot O Starlite???????
default_smile.png

default_aktion033.gif
Great news Peggy!
default_aktion033.gif

I routinely give our mares a wet mash after foaling with electrolytes and some mineral oil in it....made with alfalfa cubes. The mares love it, but then all of our horses are used to eating 'soup'. This is just a bit of insurance for my peace of mind.

Also, with a mare that's shaky after foaling it can be low blood sugar after all the hard work they've just done. A bit of sweet feed or something with molasses in it will usually fix that if low sugar is the problem.

Congratulations on your new filly!

Charlotte

Thanks for all the great tips! I am trying to figure out how to post a photo that I took today- hopefully I will have one up before she is a yearling! lol

Peggy

PS Oh, and BTW, the ring test was CORRECT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back