My little Pony has come a long way!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baby Corolla meeting in person, no issue. Such a zen breed. Even got spat on 3-4 times.

FB_IMG_1512011999752.jpgFB_IMG_1512012023944.jpgFB_IMG_1512012040894.jpg

Very Cool , they look to have great personalities
default_smile.png

They are very good for protecting livestock from prey. We had one on our farm when we brought it. One thing we noticed was they poo in the same spot
default_smile.png

Alpaca are too small, my chickens and cats got them moving away. Lol

I led the pacas through the horse track today, Dune also ignored them, not even flinched when we went behind him.

The minis?? They both got kicked!! Hahaha

OMG, I hate saddle fitting/issues!

=(

I just wanna ride!

New, smaller, red plate came in, seems to help.

IMG_1513017793915.jpg

Attempted ponying a pony offa pony today! Whoo, fun to say!

If my yearling would follow, instead of being a turkey & smushing my gelding, it would of gone okay. But he nibbled on my mount's face, crowded him and kinda body slammed him. =/ So, worked on leading, which he quickly remembered how, but I'll have to practice leading them together and with me on the opposite side of my older gelding to tell off the little guy to keep space. IDK if that makes sense to you guys, but they are short, so easy for me to have an arm over my older guy with a riding crop and tap the little guy to tell him to give the other guy space as we walk along. Later on, I'll start trying that from atop my horse. Does that sound like a decent plan? Rather break it down like that than attempt it from saddle straight away.

Anyone have tips on how to teach a horse to pony properly??

Sorry, helmetcam reset, so date is wrong, didn't realize that until after I uploaded it to my PC.

Squiggling off randomly

FB_IMG_1515643920233.jpg

Smushing into us

FB_IMG_1515643933438.jpg

Trying to nip him

FB_IMG_1515643943295.jpg

Bulldozing forward

FB_IMG_1515643951349.jpg

Cutting us off

FB_IMG_1515643960038.jpg

My ol' boy was so mellow & accepting of the fiasco. =)

Slight change in my old gelding's history. They found a note that said he was removed off the beach on January 21st, 2009.

Whether or not he was lost in town or skirting the fence, is now unclear.

So his mystery continues, lol.

Yup, need a lot more lead training with the little guy and fix his sticky feet...

But it went better than before! We got several yards of decent walking, one spot of him refusing and swapping sides and then some more yards of walking before he was done with it altogether.

Worked with my guy on some things and then worked with the little guy on his sticky feet afterwards.

If the weather allows, I'll work with him every day for a couple weeks and then try ponying again.

FB_IMG_1515794781692.jpgFB_IMG_1515794785475.jpg

Didn't know he could crosstie until he went to the trainer for trotting. Haven't done it until now, as a realized it's easier to trim them that way.

Also, it's the first time the little gelding has been in crossties or tied at all. He did great.

=)

FB_IMG_1516671885102.jpg

FB_IMG_1516671880788.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rode in saddle yesterday, but didn't use stirrups, working on sitting the trot. He likes to trot fast, which makes it so much more difficult....

FB_IMG_1516679649033.jpgFB_IMG_1516679658211.jpgFB_IMG_1516679669606.jpgFB_IMG_1516679749021.jpgFB_IMG_1516679760116.jpgFB_IMG_1516679788117.jpgFB_IMG_1516679780840.jpgFB_IMG_1516679799835.jpg

Ugh, c'mon....So the Thorowgood T4 Dressage Cob is not a great fit.

Can I just gather all the saddles in the world, toss them into a volcano? Then there is no such thing as a saddle and my never ending stress quest will be over...

The western saddle did not fit.

Back to using the T4 with a half inch felt cutout under the gullet.

I had a pony about his size I think, she was 13.2 there abouts. She was wider (medium wide to wide gullet) but had pretty good withers. Is your guy built that way? I had an awful time finding a saddle, too. What fit her like a glove was an older Stubben. It was not a Siegfreid, but a very similar style. The panels had enough of an upsweep so they didn't interfere with her short back and it accommodated the rest of her nicely.

Every time I see you post pictures, it makes me wish I still had a pony to ride.

I had a pony about his size I think, she was 13.2 there abouts. She was wider (medium wide to wide gullet) but had pretty good withers. Is your guy built that way? I had an awful time finding a saddle, too. What fit her like a glove was an older Stubben. It was not a Siegfreid, but a very similar style. The panels had enough of an upsweep so they didn't interfere with her short back and it accommodated the rest of her nicely.

Every time I see you post pictures, it makes me wish I still had a pony to ride.
90 degree gullet currently with his fat pads.

Flat rib/spine area, slight upward curve for the gullet.

Latest posts

Back