My little Pony has come a long way!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was heading out for our daily bareback ride when I suddenly stopped and looked at the saddle. It hadn't been used in a long time, it seemed to be callingout to me to use it, so I made a grumpy face at it, grunted and scooped it up!

I realized that I've been making excuses as to why I shouldn't use it, but that's not to say it didn't help to ride bareback all this time, it did!

The stirrups were several holes high and after a few yards of walking, I started lowering them. I ended up on the 2nd to last hole, which may of been one hole too low, but it was about 3 holes lower than they were during our jointed training over the winter! =)

So the bareback riding helped regain my lost balance, elongate my legs further & boosted my confidence.

We worked on not letting him trot whenever he felt like it and he never got more than a step or two going into the trot before I got him to listen and slow back down. He did come to a complete stop the first couple times, but we worked that out and were able to keep walking after coming down from his trot.
Our lines straightened a little and we ended up marching along instead of dragging heavy lazy feet. I believe I'm the one getting him to march unconsciously. Feeling confident and serious about what I want him to do somehow ends up in marching along.
=)

Been raining and he just slips n slides all over in mud, so we lunged instead of riding the other day and then did ground driving today. Walking w/turns and backing up, then a little trotting w/turns at the end.

It's oddly fun! But kinda wish the lines were like retractable dog leads, so I can easily scoop up extra line or give out line as needed...hmmm.

Will walk the track tomorrow, up and down the hills.

Ugh, this forum is such a pain when it comes to pictures! =(

Sorry, no pics until I can use my PC to change file type....

It rained, so he was extra sensitive and it was hard to keep out slack w/o him thinking I wanted him to turn.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Yes, one really has to stay focused on the rein tension in the turns. The outside rein helps keep the circle the size you want. Seems like mine always want to do a pivot instead of a nice turn! Then when I keep the tension on the outside rein to control the turn, the horse seems to get confused. But they will figure it out. Mine finally seems to be figuring it out, so I live in hope!

I think I didn't mention that I got a second Corolla horse...hmm.

Had his first trim the other day, so those tall heels are down now.

15235896_1342755652424606_1751518258373709133_o.jpg15493232_1358476680852503_3025880179873100320_o.jpg15111069_1333641766669328_119936728685741343_o.jpg

Hes nice , he looks like a "mini me" of your boy
default_smile.png

He is cute! What is a Corolla horse? He looks like a distinct "type" of horse. Size wise he looks about 13 hands? I can't tell from the picture. I like him alot, good luck with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a good looking boy! Tell us a little more? Age, etc... Are you looking to eventually work your two boys as a pair?

The big Corolla is about 10yrs old, 13h.

The baby Corolla is roughly 6mo and hoping he grows to 14h. Got him to have him as a future riding horse, but that's 4+yrs away.

Corollas are a Colonial Spanish horse that have lived wild and untouched for hundreds of years in Corolla NC. They're like the Banker horse or Chincoteague ponies.

http://www.corollawildhorses.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. If I was looking for a riding pony I would love to have one like yours. I always enjoyed riding the larger ponys rather than horses.

Took himfor a ride, but switched to a hike because he wasn't listening and soon after starting the hike, he spooked because of our dogs behind the tree line. Lol. He's not used to much when it comes to tree lines and woods.

It was fun, he later spooked at a flat rock, just like all the fancy show horses do. So proud! Haha

2017-01-17 23.42.14.jpg

I'm not allowed to upload screenshots from the videos....So I'll have to send them to my laptop, change the file type and then share them. Ugh

He's back to the 816# mark. Gawd, it is so dang hard keeping his weight down. =/

Easier to add video. Sorry about the couple times a swear and for all the sniffling!

Trail ride video, camera ran out of space to record the whole thing. =/

Who's the smartest little horse ever? My boy!! =P

Rode the gelding back in for the night totally without any tack at all, just using seat/leg & voice cues. Really windy all of a sudden, but it went very well. Slight issue with thinking I wanted him to backup at one point, but then did great. Walked to & through the first open gate & then walking up to the second partly open gate & turning sharply to the left to get through it. He remembered the difference between me leaning to go under trees vs leaning because I'm falling & kept on walking.

Such a great little horse. ♡☆♡☆♡☆♡

Latest posts

Back