My Little MEN

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&H Miniatures

Reaction score
I took some pictures tonight of my 2 amha/amhr stallions for their transfer papers. I love these boys. They are so awesome and beautiful to boot. What do you all think of them now??? Let me know. Who do you like more? Thanks

Ricky

l_9530587208d1b2ce4cb3711c0550a36b.jpg

l_66f667169dd18509d6e2a79e4f0b08cb.jpg

l_666b8d830d6d2ddaa8be207adb33dbc0.jpg

Duke

l_e3348070fc29c8562248095c41fd1b8f.jpg

l_ef71ad3de15419ec45cd1c26424cb69b.jpg

l_a8c43efae763a06657f23eca41d98628.jpg

They are both adorable. I love Ricky's silver bay coloring, and Duke's facial markings are very neat. I bet you are enjoying having them there with you.

The second one looks very out of balance to me- his rear is WAY higher than his front end, and he appears to be very post legged in the back end. He seems to be standing 'down hill' as his front legs are quite short as well.

I can't really tell due to the angle of the pictures, but like the top horse a bit better. Is that a funny dark marking on his left hip? I like his color and their coats are very shiny and healthy looking.

they definately look well fed and cared for

they are fat and shiny

a refreshing change from many of the horses on the news lately

(those poor babies in ocala) :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't do conformation critiques, but there are some here that do a good job of it.

I think your little guys are really very well looked after and happy to have you as a mom.

Red roan is one of my favorite colors.

Very pretty and shiny, and a tad on the well-fed side (a bit of increase in their activity should handily turn that blub into muscle (and the same could be said of myself, not that I'm pointing fingers, just saying that a horse in that condition is an excellent place to start when beginning a conditioning program, good job!)).

Did you want conformation critiques?

Their color, coat and condition are A++

Liz

how big are they?

they look more like the old style, family pony type mini- sturdy enough to have the kids play with

definately not the refined stick legged minis that are the current trend

how big are they?

they look more like the old style, family pony type mini- sturdy enough to have the kids play with

definately not the refined stick legged minis that are the current trend
The red roan measured 30 inches, and the silver bay measures 31. I am going to send Ricky to Pat Elder for training in the future. He is going to make an excellent driving horse. I want to work on a conditioning program for them. I am a physical therapist assistant and make people exercise for a living. What is the best for these guys. They were heavy when I brought them home. I have only had them here a week.

Yes, I would love confirmation critiques. Nice ones please. I am not asking whether or not I should breed these horses. I may or may not in the future. I am only trying to learn about them and leaving options for the future open. I am new with minis and trying to learn. Please do it in a nice way. I want to learn the correct way of looking at a horse. That is a birth mark on Ricky's hip. Been there since the day he was born.

Yes, Duke may seem a little unbalanced, but he had some really bad feet for no telling how long. He is looking better already. They have buckeroo, rowdy, gold melody boy, kokomos breeding and others. Love em. Thanks and Godbless!!!

As I said originally, their coat and condition are tops, if a bit fat.

That won't really affect their skeletal build, though, and as I see it (keep in mind I am always learning, and may be wrong. A few of the pictures are not ideal for conformation critique):

The silver bay is overall very heavily built for his size. His neck is thick and set on low with a steep shoulder. Neck also looks upside down or "ewe".

His hooves look steep/clubby and it's hard to tell but he may be back at the knee? Hard to see his feet, too (usually standing them on a hard surface like concrete is better to see these things).

He has a weak hip or lacking depth in that which is part of why his body is so long in proportion to the rest of him. His hind leg angles seem "ok" maybe tending to sickle-hocked?

He looks as though he should carry a good amount of muscle to stand up to moderate use for pleasure or performance showing.

I don't care much for his head shape with the bump high above the eyes, but he looks to have a pleasant expression. That is just aesthetics and that said I have horses myself that I am not wild about their head shape, however I will forgive a funky or plain head (to a degree) over bad legs any day.

_________

The roan is more concerning to me for his conformational defects:

His hind leg angles are far too straight and if they were angled properly he would stand sickle-hocked.

He also appears very downhill, and I'm guessing it won't change a lot given his age.

it looks like he stands over at the knee, too.

Less concerning/more aesthetic:

His neck is thick due to fat, but it also seems to be low-set but his shoulder angle is a little better than the first horse's.

His head is plain, but I like its shape better than the first one's by far. I also like his expression, he is quite cute.

I worry for his soundness more than the first horse just going by his legs, and would take it slowly on the driving conditioning and consult a vet as to supplements for his joints as well as keeping a good farrier close at hand (If I remember right, you are already doing this and kudos to you for that).

Good luck with your little men, hope you enjoy them. They are pretty colors and cute guys and I've also seen minis with worse faults that have stayed sound and been successful in the ring.

It's just something to keep in mind as you work with them.

If you search back on the Forum you can see where many members including myself have put up horses for critique which is nice to see what others see in "your" horses.
default_smile.png

I've posted several in the last year or two. Thinking of putting up my yearling gelding again now that he's growing some.

Liz

Have someone hold them on a flat surface like driveway or packed dirt (so you can see their hooves) and stand directly perpendicular to their side.

Align yourself with their shoulder and kneel so the camera is at that height of their withers. This way, you don't distort any features and you should be able to see all four legs in each photo and if the face is turned so it's flat towards you, that helps, but you can also take individual face pics, which you did an awesome job of, already.

Then, I know AMHR wants a photo from the back showing all four legs and the tail for identification.

If you want conformation critique (I am bad about not doing this), it's a good idea to take front-on and rear-on photos to show how the legs align from that angle.

default_smile.png

Hope this helps!!!

Taking pictures is not easy, but luckily with digitals we can take lots and pick the best ones.

Liz

Have someone hold them on a flat surface like driveway or packed dirt (so you can see their hooves) and stand directly perpendicular to their side.

Align yourself with their shoulder and kneel so the camera is at that height of their withers. This way, you don't distort any features and you should be able to see all four legs in each photo and if the face is turned so it's flat towards you, that helps, but you can also take individual face pics, which you did an awesome job of, already.

Then, I know AMHR wants a photo from the back showing all four legs and the tail for identification.

If you want conformation critique (I am bad about not doing this), it's a good idea to take front-on and rear-on photos to show how the legs align from that angle.

default_smile.png

Hope this helps!!!

Taking pictures is not easy, but luckily with digitals we can take lots and pick the best ones.

Thanks I love taking pictures. I will have to try this the next couple of days. Duke is having some major work done on his feet because a farrier had his angles way off. He will hopefully be sound after good farrier care. As for him looking short legged he is not on ground that is that level at all. I think it may also be how he has developed the last couple of year. As a yearling, he was well balanced in my opinion. I don't know what happened. I of course will not training until he is sound and okay to do so. Thanks. I will try to take front and back pictures and post them here so you can see them later on. He has improved so much already. I have pictures of him where his legs in front don't look that short either. I think it may just be the way I took the picture??? and where I took it. Kristy

Liz

Latest posts

Back