My little colt with Choke

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is so sad.....you must be devastated... can i just say though i appreciate you taking the time to tell us,as there are most of us still, learning, from others like yourself, im just so sorry for your loss, he was gorgeous

Oh no,,, I am so sorry. We lost our two week old colt to choke. One day after giving him to my daughter for her own.He had ingested a pellet of his dam's food that had dried beet pulp in it. And it was lodged so tight they couldn't budge it. He passed on the table while they were working on him.

You did the right things!!!! All we can do is try.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :no: He was a little cutie. I wouldn't have done anything differently either.

I am so sorry about your cute little guy- that is just horrible. Most chokes are just because something gets stuck and it may be a once in a lifetime event. It sounds like he choked because of the other problem (thus the fever from the infection) - and nobody could have ever known that one would have an internal infection like that!! You tried your best... wonder if the infection perhaps is what may have contributed to the pneumonia starting also?

Thank you for posting this, it is truly an education for us all and something else to conisder. I would find it unusual to choke twice but the fever sure indicated another problem- who would ever have guessed! I am sure this is a very unusual circumstance, and so sorry it happened. Hugs to you all- his mama included.

Again, thanks for posting- I know it was hard for you.

Marnie, I am SO very sorry for your loss. Sometimes it takes guts to make the right decision for THEM and not us. I think you did the right thing for the little guy.

Again, I'm sorry & I wish I could give you a hug,

Debi

Oh Marnie,

That is so sad..........
default_sad.png
With damage like your little guy had, you did the most loving thing for him.

Blessings,

MA

Ahhh, Marnie, so sorry to here this. You couldn't of saved him. I'm so sorry for your loss. cjmm

Dear Marnie,

I am so sorry for the loss of your little one. No one has the right to judge anyone. Unless we are rich we have to make decisions based on reality.

And the fact that you found such extensive damage to his throat I believe that proves you made the right decision, to not put this beautiful boy thru a lifetime of pain.

I think it only showed how much you cared for him.You didn't make it about you.

God bless you and I am sorry for your pain.

Hugs

Bonnie

So sorry for your loss. :no: Sounds like he would not have had a good outcome no matter what.

Oh Marnie, I am so sorry to hear this, he was a beautiful little guy. You made the right decision, (((hugs))) it always hurts to lose one. Corinne

Marnie,

I'm so sorry about the loss of your beatiful boy. I know it's hard, but you really did the right thing for him. And bless you for sharing the story for the rest of us to learn from. That's part of his legacy to the mini world.

Bye precious little Rolled In Gold
default_bye-sad.gif
:

:no: I'm sorry you lost your nice little colt. I never would have thought of something like that happening.

I had a case exactly liked this in a large horse. I saw him for a bruise from a kick to the underside of his neck and we treated it as such. A week later he started to have repeated chokes. I sent him to the vet college and they found a tear in the esophagus and a LARGE abscess associated with it. Based on the location they figure the esophagus was lacerated by the vertebrae in his neck when he was kicked. There was nothing that could have been done for him even if we had known what was there from the beginning.

I am very sorry for the loss of your lovely colt.

Oh Marnie,

I am so very sorry. He was such a cutie.

You tried very hard and did the best thing that needed to be done.

Hugs,

Robin

Marnie, I am so glad that you posted about your foal. I know how hard it was for you to do this.

You tried to do what ever it took to save that little guy, but it just wasn't meant to be.

He was just adorable and such a little sweetheart.

Rest in peace precious little "Rolled In Gold."

You did all you could, and you made the choice to abbreviate his suffering.

Done out of love and respect, as well as reason.

My thoughts are with you. I am sorry for the outcome.

Liz M.

I am so sorry for you and can feel your pain. There sure is some heartbreakers in this business of foaling.

We certainly can feel blessed when we have a healthy foal born. Again my condolences.

Joyce L

Latest posts

Back