My latest venture

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anoki

Reaction score
As most of you know I breed, train and show Cardigan Welsh Corgis. For those that don't know, Corgis are herding dogs-cattle dogs to be exact. So, what better to get into, than something the dogs were actually bred to do in the first place!!

I tracked down a herding trainer not too far from me....and got some lessons last summer (THREE to be precise). Delilah had quite a bit of training while she was in Illinois on her show 'holiday' for almost 5 months, but she had NO training with me.

As the time drew nearer to the Cardigan Welsh Corgi Club of America's National Specialty, I debated long and hard about whether to enter any of the girls in herding...but I soooooooo wanted to! The owner of the kennel where Delilah had been talked me into entering Moxie, Delilah AND Lainey, so I did....hoping I'd be able to get to at least ONE training session before Nationals. They were entered in Herding Tested which is the first level of herding titled classes.

The beginning of April came very quickly, and still no luck (due to weather) getting any training in....at least not on sheep. I had been using the minis to do a bit of training here at home...worked great with Lainey and Moxie, but Delilah would NOT do anything!

April 23 had me packed and on my way (with 5 dogs!!) to Gettysburg, PA for the National. It was a very, very early morning the next day, for the 2 hour trek to the herding venue....with me saying the entire way, what the h**l am I doing. I had NEVER been in a herding trial before....and my 'support' was not able to come at the last minute...

Lainey was first, and she was a very good girl...though she forgot most of what I had taught her once she saw sheep again....which was my concern about training with the horses. The judge was VERY helpful! Moxie was second, and I was thankful that she wasn't the first one I'd taken out....she is quite the wicked herding dog (check out the sheep 'surfing' thanks to her in the pictures below!!). Delilah was the last of the 3 and was perfect!
default_biggrin.png
I was quite shocked, but all 3 qualified for one 'leg' toward their Herding Tested title!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Next day, back for more lol only this time it was raining! Again all 3 qualified to earn their Herding Tested (HT) title!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

The fellow competitors were very supportive on BOTH days....some thought I was crazy entering 3 HT dogs, but when they watched them run, everyone had very positive comments on them! Both judges LOVED Moxie on the sheep, but I definitely need to get more training on her before we move up!!! Well, that goes for all of them....but I was glad that I entered them!

Here are some pictures from the 'fun'...and also their 'title' pictures!

Lainey herding

Laineysheep.jpg

Now known as Esrohollow Plain White Ts (Am) HT CGC

LaineyHT.jpg

Moxie herding (and me sheep 'surfing')

Moxiesheep.jpg

Now known as AOM Can CH Finnshavn Bubble Gum Moxie (Am/Can) RN (Am) HT CGC (and not the best picture.....but 2 out of 3 ain't bad....)

MoxieHT.jpg

Delilah herding

Delilahsheep.jpg

Now known as BP.ISS Can CH Esrohollow Hey There Delilah (Am) HT (and completely OUT OF COAT!!!!!)

DelilahHT.jpg

Thanks for letting me brag
default_wub.png
This was the best thing that has happened this year so far....and I hope it isn't the last!

~kathryn

That sounds like just a kick!!

What a fun thing to do.

I think it's a start of a good trend for more

good things coming your way.

Congrats to all the 'kids' for such good work.

Oh, what about that 'surfing' photo...do you have

to do that, every trial?!? LOL

Oh, what about that 'surfing' photo...do you have

to do that, every trial?!? LOL
You know when I was biting the dust....my one and only thought was not that it was going to hurt, but that I knew there were at least 2 people who were taking pictures!!!!
default_rolleyes.gif

I was the only one who went down....another lady slipped on the Sunday because of the rain and mud, but when she came out of the ring, everyone told her it needed to be more spectacular-like mine the day before
default_laugh.png

It was a lot of fun! I soooo want to try at least Delilah on ducks....now THAT is interesting! She has training on cattle as well-to enter on cattle or ducks, you have to enter the 'Started' courses...and you don't have to do Herding Tested OR Pre-Trial (which is the next title up from Herding Tested that you can get) to enter the Started work....but I am not going to get too carried away and jump in where I'm not ready!! Doing the HT was enough of a jump as it was!
default_biggrin.png

~kathryn

Huge congrats to you and your beautiful dogs! I totally know the feeling as I used to breed train and show German Shepherd dogs, and I LOVE the obedience ring! I miss it so much. Keep up the great work!!!!
default_yes.gif

Contratulations! I love the surfing picture. Your dogs are beautiful and very impressive running the sheep. Keep us updated on your progress with the herding training and qualifying each step up.

Marie

LOVING it!! (I especially love the surfing picture....don't let the AR folks get a hold of it. You ARE too big to ride that there sheepy.
default_laugh.png
) I can hardly wait to get my guys involved with the herding scene. You fed my itch a bit.
default_yes.gif

That looks like so much fun! Congratulations on a good first run with your three girls!

LOVING it!! (I especially love the surfing picture....don't let the AR folks get a hold of it. You ARE too big to ride that there sheepy.
default_laugh.png
) I can hardly wait to get my guys involved with the herding scene. You fed my itch a bit.
default_yes.gif
Oh, they made sure one of the surfing pics was in the slide show the night of the annual banquet at Nationals.....more than a few people got a good laugh at it!
default_rolleyes.gif
(there are THREE different pics that were taken...and TWO are equally as good....funny enough, those two weren't taken by the 'professional photographer')

And the 'Bulletin' editor wants to use it for the next episode.....at least she asked my permission!
default_laugh.png

Unfortunately due to the other 'things' that are going on, I'm most likely going to have to miss the Canadian Cardigan Corgi Club's herding trial here in Ontario in July
default_no.gif

~kathryn

Kathryn, you don't do nearly enough shameless brags! We've missed them.
default_biggrin.png
Serious congratulations on running all three dogs so successfully.

anoki said:
You know when I was biting the dust....my one and only thought was not that it was going to hurt, but that I knew there were at least 2 people who were taking pictures!!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
Isn't it annoying when the professional photographer stops shooting because they're laughing too hard?? They miss all the good photos that way!
default_laugh.png

gimp said:
default_laugh.png
)
That's why she had to use three of them! She's graduated from mutton busting to roman riding.
default_new_rofl.gif

Leia

Kathryn Big congrats on getting 3 dogs passed, I broke out laughing when I saw your surfing picture, needed a laugh today.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Yvonne

default_biggrin.png
I'm glad everyone had a good chuckle at the surfing photo!!! I had someone at Nationals ask me if I 'Q'd on that run
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks again everyone!! I still can't believe I ran all 3 dogs on BOTH days...let alone finished their titles!!!
default_wub.png

~kathryn

Latest posts

Back