My horses..the end

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrystalPaths

Reaction score
Several times during the visit from this family, I'd think..get your camera...but then the voice would say no...you see it, it lives in your heart..that is enough. Yesterday afternoon...2 cars drove down my long drive. My heart began drumming a beat quicker and a bit unsure. All the doors opened and children from 17 to 9 and 3 adults came forth beaming with hopeful smiles. Introductions and laughter and I allowed the handshakes this this time..I wanted to "feel" each one. It was golden.

We walked to the barn, children restrained and polite, to the gate and out...I called, "Hallyyyyyy!" and they all 3 came running down. 10 people milling around, squeals of delight, question upon question, out came the box of brushes and some cookies. I turned off the fencer and the boy..heck young man, stepped over the divided fence to my Cappy...20 yr old Cary Grant stallion who trusts no one. Much like your Alfie Shirley.

4 girls of asst ages were brushing and walking and talking with my Halley and Maggie and I was proud of my girls. They were so good. Up and down they went with each young girl.

I looked up to see the young man on his knees in front of my Cappy scritching him and then they reached out and gave a kiss...I was a gonner. Even now seeing that picture in my mind brings tears. He stood and Cappy stayed, he snagged a finger in the halter and began to walk up the hill and Cappy went right along. They'd stop and he'd allow the boy to rub him all over. I was so touched. The mom and dad then climbed the fence and sat and Cappy came to them quiet and uncertain but they sat and talked and offered a cookie (and Captain LOVES Cookies) and then they were rubbing him and getting smootches too.

They all returned to the ladies paddock, huge smiles and in love with the one horse I feared no one would love but me. Bobbie grabbed a brush and hopped the fence...I warned him that he needed to go real slow, cuz Cappy fears anything in hand. I wasn't amazed to see Cappy walk away but then he listened and allowed this young man to brush every inch of him. He then walked away and my boy followed him for more.

The girls fussed and primped and discussed new halter colors and ribbons and who wanted who and I just smiled. Perfect I say, perfect. Look and listen to them, all getting along, all co-operating, all loving them.

Perfect family....we finally exited the barn. I presented each girl with a pair of small leather work gloves like I wear and you'd thought I gave them candy! SO tickled and how they went on and on about how they'd make a schedule about picking POOP!

I gave them a round of step in posts. they will divide the huge run in as I have for the kids. Stallion on one side, ladies the other. Wednesday they will return for the horses. I was hugged by all, told they'd send pics and video and when the chicks hatch they'll bring them out.

How silent it was when they left. I went out to my furkids and said, "what'd ya think?" and they smiled, if a horse can smile. I spent several days explaining what I was about to do and that people were coming and they would take all three home with them to a new place. I liked how they asked me to wait a few days so they improve the and make the divider.

No desire to breed, just pets. Halley will learn to drive next spring..something I've always thought she'd excell at. Cappy and Maggie tho old were so loved and will be kept by this young family til death. Excellent vet and personal references. Her best friend was along who has a 35" gelding so if the time comes the old ones die, Halley will not be alone.

Yes I do have a contract and if they cannot keep them I will be notified. They live about 45 minutes away. I am filled with mixed feelings. Thrilled the right home arrived before winter, overjoyed they love them already and will do everything they need, sad the mornings won't contain nickers and feet waiting for breakfast but..life goes on....it is time...

Thanks for the friendships made over the past 10 yrs...I'll never forget those who stayed close....I'll be round here now and again, reading..even responding now and then. Have a safe winter and wonderful foals come spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this sounds like the very best possible scenario anyone could ask for, but I'm still choked up for you, letting them go! I can only imagine how tough this would be.

default_crybaby.gif

Aw, sounds like the perfect home for your furkids.

Hate to say I told you so but.......I will!!!!!!
default_smile.png
default_wub.png

Bonnie

My heart goes out to you ChrystalPaths!!! It sounds like a match made in heaven with this family and your furkids....you can rest easy knowing you are sending them to a wonderful, forever home that is close enough you can go visit them!!!
default_wink.png
Good luck in whatever venture you explore next!
default_yes.gif

My heart is breaking for you Debs, but how wonderful that you found such a perfect family for them!

Now begins a new chapter in life for you. Enjoy.

Know that you always have a home here on the forum, and if you get down this way to NJ., visit with me and my fur kids. I have a spare bedroom!

Hugs,

Robin

My eyes are full of joyful tears for your fur family and their wonderful, perfect home. How very special that Cappy found the courage to trust.
default_wub.png

Leia

default_wub.png
Isn't it wonderful that somehow when you don't expect it something wonderful like this happens for you and your babies & YOU know in your heart it is right and good? Congrats on finding them the best home
default_bye-sad.gif

That sounds just wonderful for your horses. They will be missed for years to come but sounds like they have gone to the best possible home you could ask for. We will miss you and hope to see you around the forum!!

What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing and I am so glad you found such a wonderful family for your little ones. You are all very blessed. Thank you for sharing! You should submit that somewhere. It is so touching and full of love and hope!

How wonderful that you found the perfect home for your furkids,especially Cappy, that sounds like a match made in heaven, he and that young man already have a strong bond between them. I know you will miss them but they are only a short distance away
default_wub.png

Yvonne

Debs, you are such a special person and so are your horses. You leave each of your horses with a gentleness about them. I should know, I have one of them! I know you have thought long and hard and for a long time to make this difficult decision to find new homes for your furry kids. I was choked up and happy for you all at the same time when I read your post. What a touching story.You know in your gut that they will be happy in their new home and they will all be together. What more could you ask for. This family sounds perfect. I am sure they will keep in touch with you, and they are not too far away to visit.

Actually, I think you and your hubby should head up this way for your anniversary every year, and you can stop by and visit Hopes and his babies
default_wink.png

With tears I share your emotions. I just sold my Paint mare to a wonderful new home. There is a heart wrenching grief and a heartwarming joy as you watch your friend be handed over to a new owner.

Thanks for sharing it has helped me.

I wish you the best.

Hugs,

Bonny

((((HUGS))))

Please come visit often. We'll miss you too much if you are gone for too long between visits.

I want to thank each of you who responded and those who read. Diminutives has slowly been shrinking for 5 years but now is time and yes Bonnie, you did tell me it would be time and now it is. I recieved this email from Melissa yesterday and then spoke with her last night. Seems the family is working very hard to almost copy the set up I have here for the kids..keeping Cappy from the ladies....so they can adjust easier and feel at home. Again I thank you, for your words and caring. I go betwixt joy and despair but know it is so very right...this gift I gave will last for many many years and provide such memories for such a special family. Debs {btw I did send her the LB link..I hope she'll join in and you'll help her as you did me all those years....I'll be around }

******************************************************************************************

I want you to know that those sweet new friends I have made, have won my heart. We have been working endlessly getting the space in the barn ready and the pasture area ready as well. We want it to be as close to home as possible. The less stress the better is what we feel. My husband has taken such an amazing liking to Maggie and Bobby cant stop talking about Cappy. The girls have been right out there working just as hard getting everything around. I want you to know what a blessing this is to our family. You are truly a special woman. I felt a connection with you as well as the horses. I cant even imagine how difficult this must be for you, but want you to know that you are more than welcome to come visit, I will send pics, and I also wanted to let you know that in the event (which I doubt will ever happen) that we can no longer care for them....I will call you and we will go from there. These are still your babies and I can assure you that they will be taken care of to the best of our ability. We have the trailer ready and are now just getting their stalls ready in the barn. We had to tear down a wall and build up a bit but should be done soon. Please feel free to call anytime.

Thanks again so much for your amazing gift. We will cherish them always.

Sincerely....

Melissa

They came in the misting rain, a big red truck and a silver trailer. This time they came to the porch quiet and solemn, all of them knowing this was a serious moment for me. One of the girls handed me a couple pieces of paper and on one was drawn picture of each of my 3 with their names and hearts and stars. The other was a thank you note from Kimmy:

Thank you sooooo much for everything. I promise to take good care of them and love them lots. Heart thanks again Heart Kimmy B

That got my heart right thru but we hugged and walked to the barn. They were in their stalls waiting, I had told them today was the day. Goodness, didn't they whinny and nicker and old Cappy was right in Bobbie's lap. First we loaded Cappy in the smaller front...there was a solid 6' metal partition. He screamed for his ladies and stood up as he does. We got the ladies and Maggie walked right on but Halley was unsure. No fear just had never trailered...we talked and talked and she took a big leap and in she was...we closed the trailer door on more than the horses..it closed a chapter in my life.

Cappy hollered the whole way typical stallion, Maggie was in heat. But they emailed me to say they arrived safely and everyone unloaded great, eating and drinking and they left them in for the night with a country music channel like I do and one barn light cuz I use nite lights. Each has their own stall with an inside walk about (the girls share one with Cappy along side safely away from those girls)

This morning I awoke as usual and remembered they were gone, but rather than lay there I got up and pictured 5 kids with parents in tow, flip flops on, racing to the barn to feed my kids and show them around the new place. It'll be such a good day for this family. This makes me smile.

My heart hurts but I have done a good thing, the right thing for me. Now I move forward..thanks for listening and caring. Debs

Such a wonderful post and I am glad you are at peace with your decision! They all sound like they will be loved and taken well care of in their new home!!!!
default_wub.png
Good luck to you in the future.
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back