My horses tail Is falling out!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaniceZ

Reaction score
Summers tail seems to be falling out! There are huge chunks of skin or something with tail hairs still attached comming out of her tail!
default_new_shocked.gif
I tryed brushing it out, but Summer started bucking at me, and she never buckes (at me anyways :DOH! ), so i think it might have hurt her?

I didnt have a camera at the barn, so i cut the SMALLEST piece out of her tail to take pictures of and show you. All the other pieces are WAY bigger than this one.

080730084146.jpg

080730084220.jpg

I used to baby this tail! I would wash it every time i came to the barn, It was bagged 24/7, I left it unbagged for the past 3 months, and now its falling out :DOH! *sigh*

So anyways, What should i do? cut it out, or let it grow out? or is there some shampoo that could help? I have a show on the 9th, and right now im imagining summer showing with barly any tail at all
default_unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping this up........

I'm just guessing, but was thinking you may have a skin fungus working on her..... It wouldn't hurt to bathe her with an anti-fungal shampoo, or rinse the area with a Nolvasan solution.

Hopefully others will have better suggestions than me......

Eqyss products. Start with Micro-Tek Medicated Shampoo, follow up with the Detangler and Shine. Don't overdo it, just get it clean with the Micro-Tek, rinse well, then brush through it carefully after applying a small amount of the Detangler and put it up when dry. I would keep an eye on it afterwards and if it gets worse or just doesn't improve after about a week, I would call the vet ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back