My horses are biting each others tails?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foster Woods Miniatures

Reaction score
Hello there!

Lately my horses have been playing a little bit more aggressive than usual... they like to go after each others tails. I wouldn't think of this as a problem, but with show season coming up I don't want the pathetic tails I have now. Any suggestions?

I use MTG, I've tried putting vaseline and hot pepper flakes on their tails to stop them from biting. I've even tried to wrap their tails, but they just pull off the tail bags
default_frusty.gif

I've invested in salt blocks (plain, himalayan and mineral licks)... They will continue to chase and bite in the pasture, and they have stall toys (jollyballs, hanging milk jugs). I also keep them separate at night and when they are feeding. I give them equal attention... and I am not quite sure why this is happening... with spring coming up I will be investing in grazing muzzles, but I don't want to have to have them for my tail problems.
default_giveup.gif

Please help if you can!

When I had a mare and foal (Arabians) I used Bitter Apple on the mares mane and tail to stop the foal from eating it. Worked well but you have to reapply it daily for the "taste" to stay. And it does taste terrible!

I don't know how old they are - could you include that information?

Latest posts

Back