My heart is so Broken. My mare abort this morning.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
My heart is so broken this morning. Our last mare who was due aug 21 abort a nice Tovero blue eyed filly(one of my dream filly)The sad part is I just sold her sire last week, because we were planning on keeping his fillies. The sire had two fillies and one colt this year. It is so heart breaking. The mare is so upset the vet said to leave the filly with her until tonight.The vet is on his way. I have a question about the after birth stuff?When I first took the filly the mare was very very upset. This mare had a nice overo filly last year for the previous owners. She has had 4 foals with no problems. Last year she had her filly a month early. So we were watching her close.Any ideals of how to help the mare and me over come this heart breaking news.

She was a filly to die for.We loved her markings. Now I want get that again that stud is gone.We do everything we are suppose to for our minis. We have had five healthy foals this year. We give them their shots and everthing. WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN. We even had our hay check.

We have raise horses for 6 yrs now. This is the first year to have mares abort. We had one of our maiden mares abort at 3 mos. We had the last three mares abort around 7 mos or so(all those mares came from the same farm very nice folks)The vet has check each mare and foal no problems found.I am so sick to my stomach about lossing sure pretty foals. Some days I want to give up on
default_crybaby.gif
I have had so much going on in my life lately the horses were my esape from everything.After lossing this fine filly I don't know how much more I can handle.It would be different if we didn't care for our minis like our children. We care for the minis better then our children sometimes.
default_biggrin.png
The minis are sure a joy. I am just so heart broken don't know where to turn.I am crying so hard it is hard to type. thanks everyone for listing to me.

DSC08083-3.jpg
She the tovero look.What color do you think she was. Her dam is perlino/cremello and sire bay pinto

DSC08078-2.jpg

DSC08081-3.jpg

DSC08076-2.jpg
what is this on there?

DSC08076-1.jpg
what is this I found beside the foal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry for your loss, but do not beat yourself up over it. For some reason abortions seem to come in groups.
default_no.gif

A couple of years ago I had 5 abortions. It got to be that I was afraid to go outside to feed in the AM as I did not know what I was going to find. Since then I have had only a couple of abortions.

Next year you could be fine and no abortions. The more mares that you have though, the better the chance that you are going to have some distocias, some still births, and some abortions. It is just all part of breeding. It is never easy, and we all beat ourselves up over lost foals. I lost a bucksin filly last year (the only loss and of course it had to be a buckskin and a filly), this year it was a palomino filly that I really wanted.
default_no.gif

But we all go on and enjoy the ones that are alive and doing well.

THe hard part is my children don't understand why this is happening to us.
default_no.gif
My husband tells me I love the minis more then him.
default_smile.png
My minis are sure a joy, but when this happens I don't know what to do. My son who is 18 yrs old is moving out today on top of lossing my precious filly.WHY WHY WHY!!!!

I AM ABOUT REALLY TO GIVE UP!!!!SO PLEASE PRAY FOR MY SWEET MARE AND ME AND MY CHILDREN. i KNOW SOME FOLKS CAN DEAL WITH THIS BETTER THEN ME.

Melissa

Don't beat yourself up over it. It happens to the best of us. Sometimes it just seems that you are getting more than your share.

I don't know if your mares that have aborted came for the same farm together and all aborted. If they where shipped during the pregnancy, sometimes the stress can make the mare abort. I really believe to mares can abort anytime after they are shipped. That could of been the reason.

But in most cases you never find out. Very sorry for your loss.

It is also very hard to tell the color of your filly. But I am guessing either a buckskin or smokey black.

Also I am not sure what that is you found next to the foal. Is there a chance it was already there when the mare foaled. If not the only guess I have is maybe a mummy foal. I could be your mare was going to have twins. Just a thought, but I seriously doubt it.

And I would leave the foal with the mare as long as she is staying real close to it. She will finally realize it is dead and move away. At that time take it away when she is not looking. She will call for it for probably a couple of days though.

Good luck and again I am sorry.

((Hugs)) I wish there were answers for you, but something Riverdance said seems to be true........Bad things happening seem to occur in cycles. At least they do for us. We can go for several years without a problem or a loss, and then WHAM.
default_sad.png

I looked at that odd "thing" you said was with your aborted foal and it makes me wonder if it's an undeveloped twin?

I really wonder also if it is an aborted twin. If so, the placenta may have looked odd also with more placental tissue. Your vet should be able to help you there. Since the rates of losing a twin gestation are high, and they pose a risk to your mare (if the other foal had developed further), maybe this is natures way of looking out for your mare?

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
It is odd that all of the mares that have aborted came from the same farm. Almost sounds like they were exposed to something or had an infection.....maybe the stallion had an infection?? I hope next year is much better for you.

I am hoping you let us know what your veterinarian says.

I too wonder if you had twins and this mummified foal caused her to abort.

I am sorry for your loss.

I would like to thank everyone for their sweet taughts. We are not sure if the stuff is a twin or not, we sure know more later. When this mare was ultrasound the vet only found one foal. The mare will not leave the foals side. The vet said to put her in a stall, so she want get to hot from stress of the foal. I sure was looking forward to this foal. I only have one stud that is not relative to this mare, he is our 26.50 silver bay appy. I really want this mare bred to a pinto. The mares from the same farm have been here for since this summer.The vet said we might never know what happen. The mare is doing okay after sure a loss.I pray my mare doing well. I would hate to loss her to.When you all have a mare abort like this how long do you wait to rebred them? The vet think filly looks normal.Farwell sweet filly
default_bye-sad.gif
I sure wish someone close could bred their pinto stud to her for us next year.I would have love to have another filly like her.

Please keep us in your prayers. I am so close to selling them all.My heart is so broken, it has made me sick to my stomach.I am about really to GIVE up. I feel like I am not doing things right. I do everything the vet tells us like clock work. I feel like a bad mother to them.

The first mare who abort was by our buckskin stud who has two live fillies this year.

the second and third mare abort by our silver perlino pinto

four mare who just abort by our bay pinto who has had three live foals this year.

[SIZE=18pt]i am very sorry to hear about your loss.
default_no.gif
. things like this just happen, you never know why.. but they do. last year.. may 23. my horse, George(its a girl) was having her baby. but something went wrong and the foal was twisted inside of her. by the time the vet even came the foal was dead and George had given up. we ended up having to put down George because the surgery for that problem cost a lot of money and it was unlikely to have even worked. i couldn't sleep the whole night and for several days. i know what you are going through, its heartbreaking. that night i lost a baby i didn't even get to see the whole body( i only saw the foals feet.. which were white =/) and my best friend.[/SIZE]

I'm so sorry for your loss (and your earlier losses too). I hope you can find some peace soon and maybe your beautiful healthy babies can help ease your pain for you a little bit every time you look at them. I really love your babies this year - very nice job...

Latest posts

Back