My heart is so Broken. My mare abort this morning.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so sorry for your loss
default_no.gif

we also had a mare abort last week and it puts you in a fog, so sad

but take comfort in the fact that your mare is ok

We also left the colt with the mare through the night till the next morning

she finally just went to eat her hay after staying with him for a couple hours

the next morning she called for him a little when we took him out

but she went out with the other mares like normal and ran the fields looking for him one time then settled down for what seemed like a normal days in the pasture with the other mares

So I beliveve it did help for her to have time with him

(It was a beautiful black pinto colt) sigh!!!

we are just so happy our mare is fine

you have had a rough season for sure, but it will pass

last year we lost 2 (our first losses)

it's so hard you wait so long.

(((((((HUGS)))))))

Lori

I am truly sorry for your loss. It is hard to understand when this kind of thing happens to you. You have to trust that it was for the best and that next years foaling will go better. I would like to have seen the photos but they had a red x in the square and my computer was unable to open them. How do I fix that? -- anyone know?

dmm

Here are the photos again.

It was a tovero blue eyed FILLY.My dream filly

DSC08083-3.jpg
Medicine hat filly

DSC08081-1.jpg
She was one of my dream filly

BLUE EYED TOVERO
default_no.gif

DSC08077-2.jpg
She only have two spots on her, her head and her side.Her eyes were Sky blue.

DSC08076-2.jpg
what is this?

DSC08076.jpg
She was precious
default_wub.png

DSC08076-1.jpg
what is this?

I took the filly away tonight per our vet. The mare is calling for her it is so so sad.

I told my mare I wanted her just as bad as she did. Poor gal.

i sold the stud last week, so I don't know what I am going to do for a foal 2009.The only stud not relative to her is our 26.50 silver bay appy stud keepsake.

My girls were gone out of town, they are heart broke as well. We were all looking forward to this filly, because we need it would be a dilute foal.

So to help with my heart pain. I DECIDE to shave two of our 2008 fillies today.

sorry for your loss..I feel your pain. I have felt like giving up before when losing a foal/foals. But having everything go right makes the pain more bareable. Take comfort in your healthy little ones and enjoy them and dont look back. We are all here for you..

default_no.gif
Im sorry for your loss its a tuff thing to go thru. I had to deal with it myself in December right before Christmas. BUT it wasnt with a mini it was with my first foal to my stallion ( my avatar) and a grey overo mare that i bought just for him. My foal was aborted at what looks like by your pics the same gestational age. I didnt take the foal the the vet for blood work but I did take the mare and have her flushed with antibiotics and had blood drawn.

Results was that my mare was exposed to the Leptospirosis virus ( and the Rhino virus -but he said that she might just be a carrier for it or has been exposed before becasue i had her vaccinated but was a month late on the 2nd shot)

Anyway a bit on the Lepto virus it is a cattle or pig virus but it does cause late term abortion in horses as well. The virus is in spread by water like a pond or stagnant water etc... that an infected animal has drank from but rats and raccoons and deer can even transmit it. It is odd that the mares that aborted all came from the same farm I would ask them about it and if they had lost any or if they have cattle or hogs close by that maybe have had it and its possible that a varment could have transmited it.

That mare of yours will be fine its just part of the greiving that they go thru my mare stayed by that foal for a bit and when i had got there in the am she was fine just ready to eat and i just noticed the blood on her legs she wasnt anywere near foaling so she was still turned out to pasture. The foal appeared normal too just like yours. but my foal was not accompanied by hte other stuff or that abnormal placenta. I would almost say that it was a twin that didnt develop.

Anyway just dont give up this stuff happens when you are breeding and it seems to happen more often when you have more than a few horses but you never know next year could go off without a hitch!

I rebred my mare in April to my stallion for a march foal and shes bred !

Good luck and again im soo sorry for the lost of what looked to be a nice foal.

Here are my 2008 fillies I shaved today to help with the heart break.these fillies help me today more then they knew. We had three fillies and two colts this year. We loss three fillies and one colt who were abort, so this year would have been a filly year for us.The Good Lord knows what is best, it just hurts to loss the ones you wanted so bad.
default_no.gif
We had plan on keeping the filly we loss. This year we wanted to keep all the fillies, because we have sold all the foals in the past.

Twinky is a half sister same sire of the one we loss.These are not the best photos, but I was very tied.

DSC08085-1.jpg
She is marked just like her sire I sold. She has one blue eye and one brown. She is the only foal I had to have blue eye. I bred several blue eyed horses this year go figure.

DSC08135-1.jpg
we think she might be homozgyous for tobiano look at the spots.

DSC08088-1.jpg

next is Tinker belle who try to kick me when i shave her today. we sold her sire last year buckskin

DSC08122-1.jpg
We think she might be silver bay

DSC08102-1.jpg

DSC08112-1.jpg

My mother called told me to enjoy the ones who are living. It is so hard to let go.here are our colts playing. They make is worth the heart ache.

DSC08123-1.jpg
Sniper the one shaved already is half brother to the one we loss this morning. Spunky is not relative. Both boyes are for sale.

here is our last live foal this year. She is a miracle foal. I had to help safe her life,she is half sister to Tinker belle(silver bay filly above)
DSC08027-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgious babies, and I cannot believe you can shave 3 in one day... you must be tired.

We just did a couple of touch ups and one stallion, was enough for us, and I am sore all over.

Getting harder and harder to bend and twist,

oh who ever started shaving horses need their head examine.
default_wacko.png

but they sure do look much better...

Thanks for the pictures enjoyed them
default_wub.png

Losses are never easy. We've lost every foal for the last two years and nothing can explain it. We keep everyone up to date on shots, trims, de-worming...etc...Even with lots of testing and many vets minds picked and nothing to explain the loss of 5 fillies in two years. I about threw in the towel myself. Hang in there and as a lot of other have said be very thankful for the lovely foals you do have.

I am so sorry to hear of your loses. I don't understand what could be going on. My heart is with you.

God bless and prayers that your heavy heart is eased.

A small note. I have always abmired you silver dapple on you avatar.

Keep your chin up it will get better. You will figure out how to possible repeat that breeding. Good luck.

So sorry about your loss, I know how hard it is especially when it is something you wanted, or were hoping for, I too lost a medicine hat blue eyed filly this year......it just is so sad, but no matter how hard you try sometimes things happen, that you will never fully understand.
default_sad.png

I'm sorry for your losses...it must be very hard. But everyone is right...keep on...your babies that are here are beautiful. You did a great clipping job.

I will be honest..I was scared to look at your pictures. I just wanted you to know I am very sorry for your loss. I know the pain can be very hard to go through. I wish I had more than words to help you.

I am so sorry for your loss, My heart and prayers go out to you and your mare.

Oh NO!
default_no.gif
I am so sorry for the loss of your filly!
default_no.gif
Sometimes it just does not matter how much we do for these little ones and it is so sad when we lose them anyway.
default_no.gif

I myself have had two losses already this year (1 in Feb & 1 just this past Monday)and both were viable foals it appeared and one was hand bred so her gestation was 313 days and she had foaled her previous foal with no problems at 316 days and the other was a mare I bought bred and even her foal had all his hair and looked to be full term but niether had much of a bag when this happened so we found them in distress. We were able to get both foals out though and we saved the mares.

The colt aborted in Feb was a breech (rear first) and cause of death appeared to be a twisted cord and the one this past Monday was also a severly twisted cord which was knotted up around the back legs too.
default_new_shocked.gif
The filly tried to present with her front legs folded under her and her head was back almost over her shoulders, so that was tough to correct because her head did not want to stay in the right place to go through the pelvis.
default_no.gif

We had never suffered a loss either before now either!
default_no.gif
Now 2 in one year and 4 more mares to foal out...
default_wacko.png
So we are praying all goes ok with them. 2 are questionable as to being preggers, but no heats for them this year yet and they were hand bred.. so we wait..
default_unsure.png

We also take really good care of our horses and we have cameras and Equipage and sometimes it still does not matter...
default_wacko.png
default_no.gif
Now, I have Marestare as well, so all we can do is hope.
default_sad.png

Again, I am so sorry! Those pictures are great! Thank You! Also, I don't know but it appears that there are two placentas?Twins? It appears the "thing" might have been a foal? maybe?

Jeri

I am about really to throw in the towel.
default_no.gif
I got a email that really hurt my feeling. I felt like they were saying it was our fault.I do everything by the book that hurt.It is very hurtful when people point fingers
default_wacko.png

we had two mares abort last year one 10/07(mare was 3 mos maiden mare ) and 11/08(7 mos or so along)

we had two mares abort this year one 1/08(7mos or so along) and 5/08(8 mos along)

I am about really to throw in the towel.
default_no.gif
I got a email that really hurt my feeling. I felt like they were saying it was our fault.I do everything by the book that hurt.It is very hurtful when people point fingers
default_wacko.png

Oh, I am so sorry that someone could be so mean to you!
default_no.gif

A few on this board seem to like to point fingers & be cruel to others, because I have seen it many times here since I have joined this board quie a few years ago and that is one of the reasons I do not post here much anymore.
default_no.gif
I may not post much anymore here, however it does not mean that I do not read this board almost on a daily basis so I do know what happens here. Why these certain few take it upon themselves to be so cruel one will never know!
default_no.gif

This is a great place for information with alot of knowledgable breeders/owners here, however alot of "newbies" and even some who have been here even before me have left here or they lurk in the background because they are scared to be judged by judgemental ones who are here which is very unfortunate because it is a great place to learn and share information.
default_no.gif

I used to recommend this board to everyone I knew, but now I do not because of this exact type of thing that happens here. I am sorry Mary Lou and I hope that who ever is responsible for the hurtful things said to MB Horses gets "punished".

I probably should not have said anything by responding to this, however I know I am not the only one that feels this way.
default_no.gif
Personaly I do not care who does not like what I said either, because I really don't give a Rats .... what anyone thinks about me or my horses.

Again, I am sorry Melissa, you have been nothing but a model Forum Member since you joined here and you do not deserve this!

Jeri

Latest posts

Back